Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
As I have stated a few times, my issue is ownership having a say in hockey decisions. That's not normal. Seriously.

If your cool with it, that's awesome I'm happy for you. I can't take it anymore personally, and its my opinion that we look like a mickey mouse club whenever that idiot opens his mouth.

I look around at the more classy and successful teams in the league, and I don't see their owners behaving the same way that ours does, and it makes me sad.

Deep down i think that we all know what I just said above is true though.

You should do a better job of looking around the league and pro sports in general. I'm not endorsing how Melnyk runs the team or behaves in the public eye, but this is fairly normal. Michael Illitch, Ed Snider, Mark Cubban, Mansour bin Zayed AL Nahyan, Jerry Buss, Mario Lemieux, almost every single owner in the NFL etc are all very hands on guys and lots of say in their team's on field/ice operations.

It just so happens you're a fan of this team and Melnyk happens to be the owner and people need a scapegoat so they magnify every word and action he says or does. Is some of it dumb? Yes. Absolutely. Is most of it competent reasonable and par for the course. Yep and this is an exampl of this.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Opposite for me. I just met with the hiring manager, department employees and HR.

Lucky you.

Whenever I get introduced to the executive manager, I storm outa that place. What the hell does that control freak have to do with my job? No way am I working for them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure why Melnyk would need to meet with the coaches that Dorion would want to hire? Isn't that why Dorion is there in the first place? So that Melnyk can trust his decisions?

I imagine lots of owners of businesses and in particular sporting franchises, like to meet with the people that are going to be hired in the highest positions within their organizations, often just as a formality, a thank you for taking part in the process, and as a last sales pitch to land the top candidate (these top position interviews are often as much a sales job by the people hiring as they are for the people being interviewed).

But, no, in this new age of Melnykphobia, it's just another opportunity for our meddling owner to sabotage the process

#melnykphobia

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You should do a better job of looking around the league and pro sports in general. I'm not endorsing how Melnyk runs the team or behaves in the public eye, but this is fairly normal. Michael Illitch, Ed Snider, Mark Cubban, almost every single owner in the NFL etc are all very hands on guys and lots of say in their team's on field/ice operations.

It just so happens you're a fan of this team and Melnyk happens to be the owner and people need a scapegoat so they magnify every word and action he says or does. Is some of it dumb? Yes. Absolutely. Is most of it competent reasonable and par for the course. Yep and this is an exampl of this.

Why are you talking about the NFL?

Show me an example of a hands on owner in the NHL (from a great team), and I'll bow down gladly.

Hockey and football teams are run very differently, if you weren't aware.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why are you talking about the NFL?

Show me an example of a hands on owner in the NHL (from a great team), and I'll bow down gladly.

Hockey and football teams are run very differently, if you weren't aware.

Mario Lemieux and Michael Illitch. The Molsons won a few cups.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
It's hilarious reading all of the emotion in here from a lot of people who didn't even bother to listen to the interview.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I imagine lots of owners of businesses and in particular sporting franchises, like to meet with the people that are going to be hired in the highest positions within their organizations, often just as a formality, a thank you for taking part in the process, and as a last sales pitch to land the top candidate (these top position interviews are often as much a sales job by the people hiring as they are for the people being interviewed).

But, no, in this new age of Melnykphobia, it's just another opportunity for our meddling owner to sabotage the process

#melnykphobia

I guess that makes sense, but looking at it from the other side, Dorion holds one of the highest positions within our organization so Melnyk should trust his decisions.

Anyways, doesn't bother me too much. Just hope we get the best possible candidate for the job

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Mario Lemieux and Michael Illitch. The Molsons won a few cups.

Yes I guess we will have to agree to disagree then...

Penguins are not what I would call great, if so it's only because having drafted Crosby and Malkin.

And your a little off base if you don't think that Kenny Holland is making the hockey decisions in Detroit, to put it gently. Does anything that Illitch do remind you of what Melnyk does?

And the Habs? Really?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I guess that makes sense, but looking at it from the other side, Dorion holds one of the highest positions within our organization so Melnyk should trust his decisions.

Anyways, doesn't bother me too much. Just hope we get the best possible candidate for the job

We don't know what Dorion is thinking.

Maybe he is ready to give his rankings to Melnyk by Friday.

He's done exhaustive interviews. I'm sure he has impressions of all the coaches (and he's interviewing Boudreau today or tomorrow, right?).

There is only so much you can debate over the interviews and philosophies. At a certain point - you need to pick the guy you want, try to sign him. If that fails, go to the next guy, try to sign him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes I guess we will have to agree to disagree then...

Penguins are not what I would call great, if so it's only because having drafted Crosby and Malkin.

And your a little off base if you don't think that Kenny Holland is making the hockey decisions in Detroit, to put it gently. Does anything that Illitch do remind you of what Melnyk does?

And the Habs? Really?

Uh, serious question, does any owner in the NHL have more cups than the Molson family?

As far as Illitch goes generally what I get from Detroit fans is that both the Wings and Tigers have strongly encouraged to "go for it" with their old core of players instead of opting for a rebuild so Mike can see one more champion before he passes.

I think this has had a big influence on Holland's decision making over the past few year and why that team has been caught in limbo.

Last edited:

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
wth, he literally said the opposite of that...

#melnykphobia

I agree, but he is naïve enough to think that comments like this will not be perceived differently by fans, and more importantly, the coach he is going to interview. People have egos.

The fact is that he spoke about a scenario where they decide not to offer Boudreau the job after an interview, yet Boudreau is the one with leverage. Are other owners doing things like this?

We are in an era of PR management and spin, and he subscribes to neither.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree, but he is naïve enough to think that comments like this will not be perceived differently by fans, and more importantly, the coach he is going to interview. People have egos.

The fact is that he spoke about a scenario where they decide not to offer Boudreau the job after an interview, yet Boudreau is the one with leverage. Are other owners doing things like this?

So is Boudreau going to refuse an offer because of this? I find that unlikely. Does it increase his leverage? Nope.

The truth is Boudreau likely could care less about it. We shouldn't care either. In this era of PR management and Spin, we should have a better understanding of when Media is trying to manipulate us and create drama where it doesn't exist.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Bingo.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So is Boudreau going to refuse an offer because of this? I find that unlikely. Does it increase his leverage? Nope.

The truth is Boudreau likely could care less about it. We shouldn't care either. In this era of PR management and Spin, we should have a better understanding of when Media is trying to manipulate us and create drama where it doesn't exist.

Not one person has said that he is going to refuse the offer because of this.

The uncontested truth is that he already has two other offers on the table. We cant make one until our owner gives the blessing.

If the media didn't report that, I would find it irresponsible. If you'd rather be in the dark on the reality of things, so be it. But don't get mad because some people see other teams operating differently, and wonder why we are so unique.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not one person has said that he is going to refuse the offer because of this.

The uncontested truth is that he already has two other offers on the table. We cant make one until our owner gives the blessing.

If the media didn't report that, I would find it irresponsible. If you'd rather be in the dark on the reality of things, so be it. But don't get mad because some people see other teams operating differently, and wonder why we are so unique.

Why is it inherently bad that Melnyk meet with candidates?

That seems to the rational behind all of the complaints. We can't offer a contract until after the meeting, ok. Does that decrease the likelihood of Boudreau coming here? If not, why do we care?

The truth is there is a group that goes out of their way to demonize the owner, even when he does things that are perfectly reasonable, or says things that are rational. I'm no fan of Melnyk, but the criticisms are getting absurd.

That imo is the problem.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why is it inherently bad that Melnyk meet with candidates?

That seems to the rational behind all of the complaints. We can't offer a contract until after the meeting, ok. Does that decrease the likelihood of Boudreau coming here? If not, why do we care?

The truth is there is a group that goes out of their way to demonize the owner, even when he does things that are perfectly reasonable, or says things that are rational. I'm no fan of Melnyk, but the criticisms are getting absurd.

That imo is the problem.

I'd co-sign this. Well said.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Melnyk: Tell me honestly Bruce how close are we from contending.
BB: I think we have some good players but maybe as many as 3 or 4 quality players away.

some time later that day

Melnyk: So Brian.. Bruce says were as many as 4 players away
BM: I think he is seriously undervaluing our players

Melnyk to PD: Next

Or

Melnyk: Thank you Bruce do you have any questions for me?
BB: Only one, I saw your Pre- end of season press conference where you ripped Dave pretty bad, Can you guarantee me that I will be allowed to make all coaching decisions, player usage icetime, etc for as long as I am the coach? No interference yourself BM or PD?
Melnyk: Well it is my business and..
BB: listen can I use your phone, my battery died? I think Calgary is long distance, is that okay?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Or

Melnyk: Thank you Bruce do you have any questions for me?
BB: Only one, I saw your Pre- end of season press conference where you ripped Dave pretty bad, Can you guarantee me that I will be allowed to make all coaching decisions, player usage icetime, etc for as long as I am the coach? No interference yourself BM or PD?
Melnyk: Well it is my business and..
BB: listen can I use your phone, my battery died? I think Calgary is long distance, is that okay?

So... Melnyk is not happy with a decision in the first home game in the season, doesn't interfere all season, then criticizes it with ~9 games remaining well after it's abundantly clear the coach will be fired, and Boudreau takes this as an indication that Melnyk will interfere with his coaching decisions?

I'm not sure I follow your logic even though I agree it was a poor decision by Melnyk to rip the coach publically before the season even ended.

Truth is, if that event weighed into Boudreau's decision process, I'm not sure there's anything Melnyk can do now that will change it.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk is basically the new taboo word

JEHOVA!!

Oh, now you've done it!

lev24.jpg

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We don't know what Dorion is thinking.

Maybe he is ready to give his rankings to Melnyk by Friday.

He's done exhaustive interviews. I'm sure he has impressions of all the coaches (and he's interviewing Boudreau today or tomorrow, right?).

There is only so much you can debate over the interviews and philosophies. At a certain point - you need to pick the guy you want, try to sign him. If that fails, go to the next guy, try to sign him.

Yes, tomorrow.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
So... Melnyk is not happy with a decision in the first home game in the season, doesn't interfere all season, then criticizes it with ~9 games remaining well after it's abundantly clear the coach will be fired, and Boudreau takes this as an indication that Melnyk will interfere with his coaching decisions?

I'm not sure I follow your logic even though I agree it was a poor decision by Melnyk to rip the coach publically before the season even ended.

Truth is, if that event weighed into Boudreau's decision process, I'm not sure there's anything Melnyk can do now that will change it.

I agree I doubt there is anything that he can do to change that perception. A coach wants autonomy above all else. Looking from the outside it seems as if autonomy is something that no coach has enjoyed here since Bryan Murray was coach.

1) Emery misses a flight and Paddock as to check with Bryan to see if there will be any discipline. He said it publicly to the media.
2) Maclean looked like a guy at the end who was being told how to utilize his assets.
3) Dave gets thrown under the bus.

A coach with no experience will accept that as he wants a shot at the big leagues. A guy like BB is going to get multiple offers, if he thinks there is a chance that this job comes with management/ownership interference he goes elsewhere. Yeah he has multiple offers now but if he fails one more time will there be multiple offers or any offers next time. He is not going to risk his potential last chance on a job where it is possible that his hands may be partially tied.

Melnyk's rant made replacing DC a whole lot harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad