Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
THIS is what people are worked up over? Wow. How can anyone cast this in a negative light? Every word there is reasonable and soundly rational.

In fairness, I think the outrage started with this idiotic tweet from John Shannon that, imo, totally mischaracterized what Melnyk actually said. This is why it pays to look at the whole context.

http://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/727964936530472962

John Shannon:Eugene Melnyk tells PTS he expects a "short list of 2" by Friday from Pierre Dorion, on the Senators' coaching search.

Edit: ack, how do you post tweets

Edit 2: in retrospect, perhaps Shannon's tweet was not totally idiotic, just poorly worded so that one could interpret it as Melnyk demanding a list.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
In fairness, I think the outrage started with this idiotic tweet from John Shannon that, imo, totally mischaracterized what Melnyk actually said.

Edit: ack, how do you post tweets

Put [TWEET ] [/TWEET ] minus the spaces, then the numbers at the end of the URL in between. So...

[TWEET ]727964936530472962[/TWEET ]

becomes

(I see you got it — but just in case anyone else wants to know. :) )

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think some of the outrage comes from the fact that other teams are already giving him offers while Ottawa has to wait until Melnyk meets with the candidates. Boudreau is not going to wait forever to see if he is wanted by the Sens. Just have to hope they don't wait too long.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Put [TWEET ] [/TWEET ] minus the spaces, then the numbers at the end of the URL in between. So...

becomes

Haha, thanks. I actually did it right the first time, but I guess it takes 10 seconds for the tweet to load... patience is a virtue, kids.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not making crap up, I am pointing out how the last 8 years around here could be perceived by an outsider. Every time someone questions management or ownership of this team you get your back up and get all defensive. One could almost think you are part of this management/ownership team.

I stated earlier in the thread that IMO BB does not become coach unless Melnyk over pays in terms of dollars and term or he gets no other offers. I find it hard to believe he won't have other offers.

I just call people out when they make outlandish claims. You honestly think outsiders see Paddock saying he's not sure about whether they can fine or suspend Emery for being late because he missed a flight (actually it was a accident on the highway) will be perceived as management not giving him autonomy? That's absurd.

You think that outsiders will think that MacLean didn't have autonomy because, well you really didn't give a reason other than he lost the room when he tried to tighten up defensively. Again, there's no evidence, just random speculation twisted to paint a sinister picture of management.

You think that throwing Cameron under the bus when it's clear he was a goner will be perceived as not giving him autonomy? Well, it was poor judgement by Melnyk for sure, and not professional but to perceive it as an indication of a lack of autonomy is a giant leap.

You've decided on a narrative, and are manipulating events to suit it. I mean, maybe Boudreau doesn't want to deal with Melnyk, but there's no evidence that Melnyk is telling his coaches how to run the ship.

In fact, we have evidence of Murray trading a player (Prince) because his coach wasn't big on him. Murray called up players when we had guys ridding the pine (McCormick, Puempel, Druizynski ect), that's not telling the guy how to use his assets, that's giving him choices. Cameron freaking played a Dman as a forward rather than play Prince, you'd think that if Murray was pulling the strings, maybe he'd have suggested playing forwards as forwards and D as D.

From the outside looking in, Ottawa was a team with some pretty poor coaching over the last 8 years, that's how I see it. I imagine that's how most rational people see it as well.

When Melnyk says stupid stuff, go ahead and call him out for it. When Murray made poor decisions, ditto. When Cameron decides to play Boro as a forward, he'll get called out on it too. The problem is some people try to find negative spin on everything even the innocuous

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think some of the outrage comes from the fact that other teams are already giving him offers while Ottawa has to wait until Melnyk meets with the candidates. Boudreau is not going to wait forever to see if he is wanted by the Sens. Just have to hope they don't wait too long.

Unless there's another interview out there with Melnyk on the subject, he didn't say they have to wait for him to meet the coach. They just asked him whether he wanted to meet with them and he said exactly "Yes." It doesn't appear to be some major part of the process and something that couldn't possibly be bypassed if they're pressed.

Seems like conjucture from a group that just wants to bash Melnyk for anything/everything.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I just call people out when they make outlandish claims. You honestly think outsiders see Paddock saying he's not sure about whether they can fine or suspend Emery for being late because he missed a flight (actually it was a accident on the highway) will be perceived as management not giving him autonomy? That's absurd.

You think that outsiders will think that MacLean didn't have autonomy because, well you really didn't give a reason other than he lost the room when he tried to tighten up defensively. Again, there's no evidence, just random speculation twisted to paint a sinister picture of management.

You think that throwing Cameron under the bus when it's clear he was a goner will be perceived as not giving him autonomy? Well, it was poor judgement by Melnyk for sure, and not professional but to perceive it as an indication of a lack of autonomy is a giant leap.

You've decided on a narrative, and are manipulating events to suit it. I mean, maybe Boudreau doesn't want to deal with Melnyk, but there's no evidence that Melnyk is telling his coaches how to run the ship.

In fact, we have evidence of Murray trading a player (Prince) because his coach wasn't big on him. Murray called up players when we had guys ridding the pine (McCormick, Puempel, Druizynski ect), that's not telling the guy how to use his assets, that's giving him choices. Cameron freaking played a Dman as a forward rather than play Prince, you'd think that if Murray was pulling the strings, maybe he'd have suggested playing forwards as forwards and D as D.

From the outside looking in, Ottawa was a team with some pretty poor coaching over the last 8 years, that's how I see it. I imagine that's how most rational people see it as well.

When Melnyk says stupid stuff, go ahead and call him out for it. When Murray made poor decisions, ditto. When Cameron decides to play Boro as a forward, he'll get called out on it too. The problem is some people try to find negative spin on everything even the innocuous

Excellent post.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

Well, they have a date already, I believe it's Thursday, which fits nicely with the idea that Dorion believes he'll be ready to narrow it down to 2 by Friday. We could've e-mailed him a contract during the press conference where he got fired and he'd still be a free agent today. He knows the 3 teams out there, he knows they all want to talk to him. Odds are pretty good he wanted to visit Ottawa to interview since he can visit his daughter as well. I just don't see how people are making that into any kind of problem whatsoever.

As I said earlier, not everyone feels Boudreau is the right fit, anyway. Dorion may not like his style or feel he'd be a good guy to lead our particular group. Who knows. Bruce Boudreau is not infallible. Even if we do hire him, it's best to keep that in mind.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

becomes

[noparse][noparse] is your friend [/noparse][/noparse]

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not one person has said that he is going to refuse the offer because of this.

The uncontested truth is that he already has two other offers on the table. We cant make one until our owner gives the blessing.

If the media didn't report that, I would find it irresponsible. If you'd rather be in the dark on the reality of things, so be it. But don't get mad because some people see other teams operating differently, and wonder why we are so unique.

An employee could take that well like "wow. The owner of this business wants to meet me before I start. He actually gives a crap". (Not saying melnyk does or does not).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Unless there's another interview out there with Melnyk on the subject, he didn't say they have to wait for him to meet the coach. They just asked him whether he wanted to meet with them and he said exactly "Yes." It doesn't appear to be some major part of the process and something that couldn't possibly be bypassed if they're pressed.

Seems like conjucture from a group that just wants to bash Melnyk for anything/everything.

This is what was said by Melnyk:

"I think for us we're down to the last couple of interviews, if that. Pierre basically just updated me and said that he's almost done and we're planning a call on Friday. We go into next week, I'm coming into town and we'll see what we do with, y'know, who's going to be on that final list. It's been progressing since the day we had to start, and the day we could start. And it's gone well. There's some great talent out there." [At this moment, the phone connection failed and then returned for the next question]

Bolded is what is important. On Friday they will have the list and then sometime next week Melnyk will meet with them. Unless i am interpreting this wrong.

Anyways, i am not as worried about it as some people are here. Yes, it would stink to miss out on Boudreau, but i still believe we are going to get a good coach regardless.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
[noparse][noparse] is your friend [/noparse][/noparse]

Dammit, I knew there was code for that. I tried [noparse][nobbc] and
Code:
[/noparse] before giving up and just doing the space thing. Guess you learn something even when you're trying to be the teacher. :laugh: Thanks!

[quote]Bruce Boudreau is not infallible. Even if we do hire him, it's best to keep that in mind.[/quote]
Awesome point, Hutz. Easy to forget with Boudreau-mania sweeping in.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is what was said by Melnyk:

"I think for us we're down to the last couple of interviews, if that. Pierre basically just updated me and said that he's almost done and we're planning a call on Friday. We go into next week, I'm coming into town and we'll see what we do with, y'know, who's going to be on that final list. It's been progressing since the day we had to start, and the day we could start. And it's gone well. There's some great talent out there." [At this moment, the phone connection failed and then returned for the next question]

Bolded is what is important. On Friday they will have the list and then sometime next week Melnyk will meet with them. Unless i am interpreting this wrong.

I didn't think it was big deal earlier, but that's pretty discouraging if true.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Dammit, I knew there was code for that. I tried [noparse][nobbc] and
Code:
[/noparse] before giving up and just doing the space thing. Guess you learn something even when you're trying to be the teacher. :laugh: Thanks!

Awesome point, Hutz. Easy to forget with Boudreau-mania sweeping in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm one of the few who doesn't even have Boudreau as the #1 guy I want. As with anyone hired I keep an open mind, but I'd rather have Yeo.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Guys just have to remember that while Boudreau is the best coach available, he might not be the best coach available for the Ottawa Senators. Sorry if this is confusing.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016

Mickelbot, again I think you fail to touch on the true issue with this team. It's not coaching that's the main problem, its player personel. Its the array of players assembled; which the coach has to choose and play.

I do read a fair bit of your posts, and their always seems to be a huge defensive wall with them anytime anyone even questions management...I do think recent coaching should shoulder some of the blame, but management should bear most of the accountability.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Guys just have to remember that while Boudreau is the best coach available, he might not be the best coach available for the Ottawa Senators. Sorry if this is confusing.

That's true, but I don't blame anyone for getting excited for Boudreau over everyone else. He's established himself as one of better coaches in the NHL.

This team has been mediocore for almost 10 years and fan interest is decreasing. They want something to get excited about.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
How often do our coaches have to speak French? Almost never. I could not care less if he spoke only Russian. Pretty sure boudreau can speak French.

Boudreau does not speak french. This is an excerpt from his book, "Gabby: Confessions of a hockey lifer":

"I don't speak French. I'm sketchy on why...My dad spoke some broken French. My mom is French and grew up speaking with an Acadian dialect...But my parents spoke to me in English and I never learned French."

Also in the book it notes that the Boudreaus were BB's adoptive grandparents. And that Bruce's biological grandparents may have been English from England, who died when BB's father was very young.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I do read a fair bit of your posts, and their always seems to be a huge defensive wall with them anytime anyone even questions management...I do think recent coaching should shoulder some of the blame, but management should bear most of the accountability.

That's because he's always clearing up false claims and wild accusations towards management, which around here runs rampant. He always does it with facts and plausible explanations, unlike the 'what if' scenarios posters are convinced occurred. So he's a busy dude.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
Since everyone else makes up things to make our management look bad, I'll make something up that seems completely plausible:

D: Hi Bruce, we received approval to interview you for a meeting, I'd like to fly down to Anaheim and have a meeting with you when you are free

B: Hi Pierre, actually, it would work well for me if we met in Ottawa, that would allow me to see my daughter and grandchild, would May 6 or 9 work for you?

D: Absolutely, I look forward to our meeting

But yes, hell is freezing over and our management is incompetent, got it.

I would not be surprised if this is what went down. Dorion was ready to fly out to Cali and BB said no need he palns to come to Ottawa anyways.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
That's because he's always clearing up false claims and wild accusations towards management, which around here runs rampant. He always does it with facts and plausible explanations, unlike the 'what if'scenarios posters are convinced occurred. So he's a busy dude.

So are you saying because one does this....he/she can't even acknowledge the issue? ....gimme a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad