Future Captain

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I intended to post this regardless of the results and will do so now. A while back San Jose made the choice to strip Marleau of his captaincy for what was widely speculated as lacking the supposedly leadership to carry the team. Thornton obviously took the mantle and his rode it ever since. Playing San Jose and the impact Kesler has had, begs the question. Should we be considering the same thing?

I have often wondered if the added pressure of the media weighted on the Sedins has become a detriment, especially when their play is called into question ad nauseum. Some would argue Marleau benefited more when that 'burden' was lifted and it could very well play out the same with the Sedins. To me, they appear more like the secondary guys - right hand men to the de facto commander if you will. What I find telling is the magnitude Kesler's presence has on this team.

I can't even recall the last time either Sedin took this team kicking and screaming anywhere, while Kesler is the engine. Our powerplay was abysmal until he returned, our PK's improved with him and our scoring - woefully as it has been - is still better when Kesler's in the lineup. We simply look like a far better and more potent team with Kesler than without. Far as I'm concerned this should be Kesler's team, not only for the aforementioned but to put an end to the Sedin era and begin to cultivate an actual identity again.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Brendan Gaunce, obviously.

Seriously, though, leave it with Henrik. Our loss tonight wasn't due to lack of motivation or effort. It was a series of lousy brain cramps.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Luongo was already stripped of the C in the past five years. As long as this core is intact, they shouldn't switch it again.

Henrik keeps it until he is no longer a Canuck.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This team has bigger problems than a meaningless letter on a players jersey.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Yet I bet the exact opposite was said of Kesler last season in the playoffs. you know, when he was diving all over the place.

ValidVick*

Brendan Gaunce, obviously.

Seriously, though, leave it with Henrik. Our loss tonight wasn't due to lack of motivation or effort. It was a series of lousy brain cramps.

No need to keep making that joke dude. A lot of people took my post out of context. I meant as a future consideration, Gaunce should be strongly considered. He's a leader. But on topic, I choose Kesler.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Not kneejerk at all. Sedin has been garbage these playoffs. The team has been mentally fragile for a few years now. When the going gets tough the Sedins do not step up. Poor qualities in a captain.

kneejerk based on the poster, if you posted this i wouldn't call it a kneejerk thread at all

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
We aren't going to strip the C off of Hank guys. Not happening. And Kesler has shown he doesn't need a C to lead so I don't see the problem.

Also, a year ago today and the results would have been VERY different. Kesler was the immature diver and the Sedins were our best forwards in the LA series.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
kneejerk based on the poster, if you posted this i wouldn't call it a kneejerk thread at all

Considering I've thought that for a while now and articulated a fair comparison, you're making a baseless assumption. This has been talked about for a while. What harm is there is making a thread about it? Don't agree? Well, that's sort of the idea about forums. :laugh:

I should say I didn't mean immediately effective tomorrow, just down the road. A new coach and changing the core somewhat could revitalize things. So while I do feel Kesler "leads" this team more so than Hank. Who knows what a new atmosphere would bring.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
We aren't going to strip the C off of Hank guys. Not happening. And Kesler has shown he doesn't need a C to lead so I don't see the problem.

Also, a year ago today and the results would have been VERY different. Kesler was the immature diver and the Sedins were our best forwards in the LA series.

Kesler doesn't lead consistently enough to strip Hank of the C and give it to him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thornton was not given the captaincy after Marleau was stripped of it. It was given to Rob Blake for one year, and then when he retired, Thornton got it.

I always thought Kesler should be a Canucks captain, and having Henrik or Daniel as captain is kinda silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad