Future Captain

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Sedin shouldnt have been captain to start, you need a heart and soul guy as captain ala Kesler, but all in all, Captaincy doesnt mean ****.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
I always thought it was weird that they decided to give it to another skilled Swedish player after Naslund, rather than a tougher power type player. Then again, they were dumb enough to give it to the goalie.

But like everyone else is saying, captaincy isn't the problem. The 'C' didn't cause Edler to throw a stupid wrist shot into Burns shin pads. I think at some point though, after all of these extremely weak playoff performances, that teammates have to silently question that sort of thing - I think it's just the nature of hockey.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Will magically giving Kesler the C make all of the players look to him for leadership? Nope, they already do. He doesn't need a stupid C on his jersey to get respect from the players. He is leading by example and putting this team on his back.

almo8989

May 10, 2011
Why do people think that a captain needs to be this poward forward that runs around and hits everybody?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
For those saying it isn't a problem, I agree. I never thought it was, just something that has routinely been brought up and I figured why not make an actual thread about it. In retrospect, it doesn't matter and Kesler leads by example regardless.

That said, I must now vote for Hansen. Imagine all the interviews!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Kesler has played how many dominating games like last night in the last year?

huge overreaction thread

Patchy

Jan 6, 2011
So what is giving Kesler the C gonna do?

Make the team automatically better? Tougher?

It's just a letter. For goodness sake.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
When will people realize having a letter on your jersey or not having one means nothing. A leader won't care if he has a letter on the jersey or not. The Canucks problems aren't with Henrik being captain or Kesler not being one. The problem is lack of leadership and hockey knowledge in the coaching position.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Amazing. Just one game ago - before it was revealed he had a stomach flu - people were ready to railroad Kesler out of town. Always hurt, not the same guy as 2011, etc. etc.

What a difference a game makes.

Nothing wrong with the captaincy, even if we lose. Trevor Linden had a few first and second round exits on his résumé, IIRC, as did some other great leaders. Hank is a fine captain and will continue to be. Just as Kesler is a great player and leader for this team.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
Wasn't Kesler widely considered to be the next captain before Hank got it. The only slight at the time was Kesler's maturity when him and Burrows were also doubling as pests(which made the canucks harded to play against) But now, Kesler has had a couple playoffs where he was far and away the leader of the team. I mean it was awhile ago but his Trevor Linden performance in that Nashville series is exactly what defines a captain.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We've been statically much better with Sedin as captain than any other player. We has are 2 best regular seasons with Sedin and were a win away from the Cup with Sedin as captain. Kesler is my favorite player but the Sedins' are grossly underrated it's ridiculous how poorly the only two players to win the Art Ross trophy in franchise history are treated. It's disgusting.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is a mentally weak team without an identity. We don't have a captain who can take the team on his back and take over a game in the playoffs. We don't have a captain that will hit, create energy, or even stand up for his team. We have a captain who disappears in the playoffs, who turns away when the game gets rough, and who thinks the team is playing well even when it's losing and actually playing like ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This is a mentally weak team without an identity. We don't have a captain who can take the team on his back and take over a game in the playoffs. We don't have a captain that will hit, create energy, or even stand up for his team. We have a captain who disappears in the playoffs, who turns away when the game gets rough, and who thinks the team is playing well even when it's losing and actually playing like ****.

Yet this "terrible captain" took his team to game 7 of the finals, was his teams best player in the first round last year. Led this franchise to its 2 best regular seasons, only player in team history to win the Hart Trophy, him and his brother being the only players in team history to lead the league In scoring. He also has the most points ever as a Vancouver Canuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yet this "terrible captain" took his team to game 7 of the finals, was his teams best player in the first round last year. Led this franchise to its 2 best regular seasons, only player in team history to win the Hart Trophy, him and his brother being the only players in team history to lead the league In scoring. He also has the most points ever as a Vancouver Canuck.

This terrible captain didn't "take" his team to game 7 of the finals. He no-showed the entire playoffs with the exception of the SJ series. How you give him credit for that I have no idea.

Best player in the first round where we lost? He was outplayed by Dustin Brown who took over the series.

Sedin had a great offensive showing for two regular seasons, and a bunch of good seasons (not absolutely dominant, but very good). Just because Henrik and Daniel have had some good regular seasons doesn't mean Henrik is a good captain. This is a very mentally weak team. Far too often this team doesn't put in the effort over a full 60 minutes. Far too often this team completely no-shows the playoffs. Far too often the offense in the playoffs disappears. Henrik's leadership in terms of his ability to lead a hockey team is questionable.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This terrible captain didn't "take" his team to game 7 of the finals. He no-showed the entire playoffs with the exception of the SJ series. How you give him credit for that I have no idea.

Best player in the first round where we lost? He was outplayed by Dustin Brown who took over the series.

Sedin had a great offensive showing for two regular seasons, and a bunch of good seasons (not absolutely dominant, but very good). Just because Henrik and Daniel have had some good regular seasons doesn't mean Henrik is a good captain. This is a very mentally weak team. Far too often this team doesn't put in the effort over a full 60 minutes. Far too often this team completely no-shows the playoffs. Far too often the offense in the playoffs disappears. Henrik's leadership in terms of his ability to lead a hockey team is questionable.
I'm on my mobile so I won't be able to dissect your post entirely.

Firstly Henrik Sedin who's the captain and best player of the Canucks yes did lead his team to the finals he had the most points of any Canuck players, how can you say we made it there in spite of him? It's plain idiotic. If anything we made it there in spite of Luongo, but lets not make this a Luongo thread.

Secondaly it's hilarious how you can just scoff at Henrik's 112 point season and just be meh about it. He won the Hart Trophy that year as the most valuable player to his team this year, but let me guess the Canucks won the division in spite of Henrik that year as well. No Henriks not only had "2 good regular seasons" he's consistently been among the league leaders in points year in and year out. He's probably top 5 in points in points since the lockout[2005-2006]

You can defend Luongo yet call The Sedins notorious chokers. It honestly puzzles my mind the Sedins' have scored the most playoff points for this team for the past 4 years, yet there "chokers" Yet the goalie who is prone to have at least 1 or 2 meltdowns in a playoff series is dubbed as a saviour.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm on my mobile so I won't be able to dissect your post entirely.

Firstly Henrik Sedin who's the captain and best player of the Canucks yes did lead his team to the finals he had the most points of any Canuck players, how can you say we made it there in spite of him? It's plain idiotic. If anything we made it there in spite of Luongo, but lets not make this a Luongo thread.

Secondaly it's hilarious how you can just scoff at Henrik's 112 point season and just be meh about it. He won the Hart Trophy that year as the most valuable player to his team this year, but let me guess the Canucks won the division in spite of Henrik that year as well. No Henriks not only had "2 good regular seasons" he's consistently been among the league leaders in points year in and year out. He's probably top 5 in points in points since the lockout[2005-2006]

You can defend Luongo yet call The Sedins notorious chokers. It honestly puzzles my mind the Sedins' have scored the most playoff points for this team for the past 4 years, yet there "chokers" Yet the goalie who is prone to have at least 1 or 2 meltdowns in a playoff series is dubbed as a saviour.

So Henrik can show up for one series in the 2011 playoffs and all of a sudden he's the one who carried us to the Cup finals?? How do you figure that? Henrik wasn't the one who was considered our Conn Smythe candidate, Luongo was. So I really don't see how you're giving Henrik credit for this. He scored 12 points in 5 games against the Sharks that year. Absolutely dominated that series. In the other 3 series combined he produced at a 0.50PPG pace. Not acceptable. He absolutely no-showed the SCF too, definitely something you don't want from your captain.

The Sedins are chokers because they constantly no-show the playoffs. Not sure what Luongo has to do with anything to be honest. I will never forgive Henrik for no-showing the SCF. 1 assist in 7 games against the Bruins is flat out unacceptable.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->