Future Captain of the Leafs

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I honestly think Rielly should be the captain, but who knows... It's a good problem to have (similar to the Kings deciding between Kopi and Doughty) and both players will contribute to the locker room in a leadership role.

My preference for Rielly is probably just because he's been a Leaf longer and he's my favourite player. Also, I think Nylander is pretty far down the list and shouldn't of been the 3rd option here. Great player and seems like an okay dude, but doesn't seem like a leader based on everything we've seen and based on the limited time that I met him.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's going to be Auston Matthews. I don't think anyone else comes close to be honest. Reilly is a good player but Matthews is a franchise player, mature beyond his years. Says and does all the right things. Obviously they can't name him captain in his rookie season but next season he will be wearing the C.

This would be a huge burden, and I'm not convinced Babcock is the kind of coach to buy into the idea of a guy being named captain having played 1 NHL season. Babcock would most likely prefer an experienced guy, or wait until Matthews is in his third/fourth season.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Do we really want to put the pressure of being the captain of one of the biggest hockey market in the world on a 20 year old sophomore? I don't think this brass wants to do that; unless Matthews shows above and beyond that he's more than ready. If the captain is named next year; it's going to be Rielly. If Matthews is named captain, it'll be in 2-3 years time.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I think it boils down to Matthews vs Rielly.

I have always thought Rielly was the best option but seeing Matthews in his short appearance this far, I am definitely thinking they should wait.

People get a little angry when I suggest I like a Leaf-drafted Canadian guy as Captain. I just like the idea of our captain being Canadian and representing the biggest Canadian fan base. Also, hopefully playing for Team Canada internationally.

BUT!!!!!!! What I am seeing in Matthews is definitely making me rethink that. If he can achieve the level of play many people see him achieving, I would be all for Matthews as captain. Even if it meant watching our captain play for Team USA.

Also a fan of co-captains - both Rielly and Matthews. If both players achieve expectations and turn into leaders I'd be all for co-captains (first half of the year - they alternate captaincy home and away then switch the later half).

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
Auston because this is his team. Maybe not right away but soon. With his attitude and quiet confidence he might as well wear the C already. Rielly is a more easy going guy and I feel like he and Babcock need to just continue to work on perfecting his abilities as the team's go-to defenseman.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Our first overall, number one centre is going to be our very near future Captain. Reilly and Nylander for Alternates. You want players that let the worst of it roll of their back. I don't think Nylander does insecurity. Kid's a natural leader. A very balanced group going forward.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Our first overall, number one centre is going to be our very near future Captain. Reilly and Nylander for Alternates. You want players that let the worst of it roll of their back. I don't think Nylander does insecurity. Kid's a natural leader. A very balanced group going forward.

Sounds very reasonable. And not that it matter (well it does) that would make our whole leadership group home grown.

I always imagined Brown to wear a letter as well in the future.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babcock is the captain until someone separates themselves as the bonafide leader.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think it boils down to Matthews vs Rielly.

I have always thought Rielly was the best option but seeing Matthews in his short appearance this far, I am definitely thinking they should wait.

People get a little angry when I suggest I like a Leaf-drafted Canadian guy as Captain. I just like the idea of our captain being Canadian and representing the biggest Canadian fan base. Also, hopefully playing for Team Canada internationally.

BUT!!!!!!! What I am seeing in Matthews is definitely making me rethink that. If he can achieve the level of play many people see him achieving, I would be all for Matthews as captain. Even if it meant watching our captain play for Team USA.

Also a fan of co-captains - both Rielly and Matthews. If both players achieve expectations and turn into leaders I'd be all for co-captains (first half of the year - they alternate captaincy home and away then switch the later half).

While that should definitely not be a long-term thing, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to have Rielly and Matthews Co-captains next year (17-18) and then have the players vote between the two/management pick one the next year (18-19). I don't like the idea of going 2 more years without a captain, but I also am unsure about the possibility of Matthews being the captain next year.

I'm still on the Rielly for captain train, but Matthews is a good choice too.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I want it to be Rielly, but I voted Matthews. Because of the pedigree of being a #1 overall pick and hearing the names he is being compared to (his shot is like Joe Sakic *former captain*, he plays 200-ft like Kopitar and Toews *current captains* etc.) it makes sense to picture him with the "C."

Im not a fan of some of the people's reasoning for Matthews though "give it to the best player" the guy, while having phenomenal talent, has not played an NHL game yet. "Give it to your best leader" Matthews has worn the Blue and White jersey what 10 times so far? How do we know he is the Leafs "best" leader? "He always looks so serious and his personality shows it" why does Matthews looking serious correlate to being captain? Just because Toews is "Captain Serious?"

To me the captaincy represents how the team is structured. Whoever wears the C is the embodiment of how the team plays. Chara is captain in Boston, which is viewed as a physical defensive team, like Chara himself. Dustin Brown (before being stripped for Kopitar) physical, gritty and will grind away at the opponent. Jonathan Toews very skilled but still works hard defensively to promote their skill.

Morgan Rielly would hopefully translate into a defensive-minded team with offensive skill, but Matthews could become a team that battles for 200 feet with skill to finish those won battles.

To me, either would be a fine choice as long as they continue developing. I just prefer the idea of a defenseman like Rielly as captain.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Probably long term

Matthews - C
Rielly - A
Kadri - A

Why Kadri? If he cant get an A over Hunwick today, I dont see why he'd get one in a few years when our youth is a bit older. Kadri is in is prime, if he was a leader, he'd already have a letter.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I personally think it'll be Rielly. Both Rielly and Matthews would make great options, but I personally feel that they will make Rielly the C starting next year ... letting Austin just focus on playing hockey for a few years.

Matthews will end up with an A, and will still be a huge part of the going forward leadership core, but I don't see them giving him that responsibility at 20, I don't see them going multiple years without a C, and I can also see our management group trying to 'buck the trend' that your Franchise Center has to be your captain.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Do we really want to put the pressure of being the captain of one of the biggest hockey market in the world on a 20 year old sophomore? I don't think this brass wants to do that; unless Matthews shows above and beyond that he's more than ready. If the captain is named next year; it's going to be Rielly. If Matthews is named captain, it'll be in 2-3 years time.

Precisely, the management group has stressed over and over again the importance of creating a safe environment. It will be Reilly or someone not currently on the team right now who wears the C next. Unless of course, they decide to wait til Matthews' 3rd year in the league.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Rielly seems to have the attitude of a leader. He says the right things, but on occasion isnt afraid to say something other than "get pucks deep".

Hes a go to player in all situations, and he has been with this team during all the lows.

Why put the C on Matthews when you have the perfect guy already? For me, the second Bozak leaves the team, you put the 'C' on Rielly. Bozak seems to have a lot of sway in the dressing room, and honestly I think he too has been a good mentor to the young guys

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
To be fair Ekblad is going to become captain soon, Hall might be captain in NJ after a successful season or two.

And Hall has already been a captain so there is 4 first overalls who have been captains since Crosby was drafted. 2 of those have represented the Oilers but then Oilers have had 4 first overalls since Crosby was drafted and you can only have 1 captain at a time.

Being a 1st overall means that you is also very likely to be the captain on your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00