Future Captain of the Leafs

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's going to be Auston Matthews. I don't think anyone else comes close to be honest. Reilly is a good player but Matthews is a franchise player, mature beyond his years. Says and does all the right things. Obviously they can't name him captain in his rookie season but next season he will be wearing the C.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Don't remember that, but I do recall Lupul being proposed quite a bit.

Yea there was Lupul but he actually deserved it. Polak came back to the bench after taking a puck to the mouth and so many people wanted him to be captain

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Remember when people wanted to strip the C from Phaneuf and give it to Polak?

Don't remember it either...

Thought it was cute to read a columnist suggest laich as the next captain. A borderline 4th liner the next leaf captain... now that's hilarious.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's going to be Auston Matthews. I don't think anyone else comes close to be honest. Reilly is a good player but Matthews is a franchise player, mature beyond his years. Says and does all the right things. Obviously they can't name him captain in his rookie season but next season he will be wearing the C.
While I agree that Matthews will likely get it, let's not pretend that Rielly wouldn't be a strong candidate. I think he "comes close".

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
While I agree that Matthews will likely get it, let's not pretend that Rielly wouldn't be a strong candidate. I think he "comes close".

Not really. I see Rielly like I see Kaberle. Good effective defenseman, a solid top pairing D and a good guy but not a guy I'd like to captain my team if we have Matthews. If we didn't get Matthews, he would be the logical choice.

Auston Matthews is a franchise centre in the making, his game is perfect when there is less space to create offence and he will be our best player.

IMO, in most situations your best player should be your captain unless they don't want it...Matthews doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would back down from a challenge.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Either of Matthews or Reilly will probably work...Marner would be an option in the future but I expect that such a captaincy would occur after several years of service. Reilly makes most sense experience wise, Matthews may get the nod due to his status as first overall and his maturity level.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
I think Rielly will have the wit to handle himself better in the media, which is incredibly important in this damn city.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not really. I see Rielly like I see Kaberle. Good effective defenseman, a solid top pairing D and a good guy but not a guy I'd like to captain my team if we have Matthews. If we didn't get Matthews, he would be the logical choice.

Auston Matthews is a franchise centre in the making, his game is perfect when there is less space to create offence and he will be our best player.

IMO, in most situations your best player should be your captain unless they don't want it...Matthews doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would back down from a challenge.
It's not just about being the best player. Rielly is clearly a good leader, well spoken, and can handle the media well. He's already our best defensemen and could very well play for Team Canada in the Olympics/World Cup one day, so he has that box checked off, too. I don't see a comparison to Kaberle being a reason to not consider him.

"Not really a guy I'd like to captain my team" - whatever that means. It's not like you have the inside scoop, so I don't know why you're acting like him being the captain of the Leafs is so far fetched. He's clearly one of the best two options.

Like I said I think Matthews will be captain one day but I don't understand why you are disregarding the possibility of Rielly being a strong consideration.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
6/28 Captains are D with a few that probably wouldn't be made captain today, the other 22 captains are forwards, 9 wingers and 13 centers. The chances of a legitimate number 1 center not being made captain (when there is a vacancy) is very low, Rielly would have to play as a top 5 player in the league to beat out Mathews.

It's Mathews's to lose at this point, I'm sure by the start of next year he is the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad