Full text of NHL/NHLPA MOU for new 2020 CBA - analysis and discussion

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yup, I called it. Once Toronto demoted Simmonds to create the space allowing them to sign Knies there was no longer an emergency--they had the cap room to recall Woll, but instead used it on Knies.

Highly similar to the Rangers being denied a roster emergency exception after they played short due to the Kane trade.
Makes sense, honestly

The story was they were hoping Murray would be ready, and so swapped Woll for Simmonds before finding out last second Murray was not ready

But your gut call made sense and I honestly think that Toronto kind of planned for this in a way, if that makes sense
I doubt they care, at least

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Makes sense, honestly

The story was they were hoping Murray would be ready, and so swapped Woll for Simmonds before finding out last second Murray was not ready

But your gut call made sense and I honestly think that Toronto kind of planned for this in a way, if that makes sense
I doubt they care, at least

I think Toronto knew quite well Murray wasn’t going to be ready. He hasn’t even practiced since the April 2nd injury so far as I‘m aware.

It does leave unsettled the question of whether the league would have denied a Woll REE if the Leafs hadn’t sent Simmonds down and signed Knies?

Swapping Simmonds out for Knies clearly created a window ending the REE “emergency” as the Leafs temporarily had the cap space for Woll. If the Leafs had instead kept Simmonds up and not signed Knies there’s still the argument that the Leafs swap of Woll for Simmonds on Apr 7th, the day before they played with a ATO goaltender on Apr 8th was a self inflected emergency, knowing Murray wouldn’t be available.

Reactions: uncleben

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Will be interesting to see if the NHL approved a REE for Woll to play against Tampa tonight or not. An argument can be made Toronto is in the same self-inflicted situation today as they were in yesterday, having used their cap space on Knies instead of Woll.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Will be interesting to see if the NHL approved a REE for Woll to play against Tampa tonight or not. An argument can be made Toronto is in the same self-inflicted situation today as they were in yesterday, having used their cap space on Knies instead of Woll.

And quoting myself, looks like the NHL has approved a REE for Woll to play tonight.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This has been a genuinely interesting story to follow

I'm not going to lie. I was kind of looking forward to seeing Toronto forced to start an ATO... :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Check out this Podcast: Marek & Friedman: Interesting Times in Calgary Marek & Friedman: Interesting Times in Calgary

Marek & Friedman start out radio show talking about TML goalie situation. Segues into LTIR discussion, perhaps some negotiations coming with NHLPA... CBA does NOT address cap compliance in playoffs. Might update include dressing team "cap compliant" for a playoffs game?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Dregger and LeBrun on cap situation, especially goalies.

Talk about knee jerk

Not every rare-case in the CBA that already has a solution needs to be fine-tuned as if it's a daily occurrence.
Leafs created a problem and the CBA ruled on what to do next. We don't need a universal goalie exception.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Bummer for the kids if true, losing out on performance bonuses thanks to trading deadline acquisitions. Lafreniere and Schneider played 81 games for the Rangers. Tarasenko and Mikkola played 31.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Bummer for the kids if true, losing out on performance bonuses thanks to trading deadline acquisitions. Lafreniere and Schneider played 81 games for the Rangers. Tarasenko and Mikkola played 31.

Did this really go this way in the end? The terms on Exhibit 5 say "minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group" for the bonuses based on comparison with teammates of same position, but doesn't have any clarification on what happens when the ELC player or comparable player(s) get traded mid-season. The bonus being determined by the players in the roster at Game 82 or TDL time feels a bit arbitrary.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Did this really go this way in the end? The terms on Exhibit 5 say "minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group" for the bonuses based on comparison with teammates of same position, but doesn't have any clarification on what happens when the ELC player or comparable player(s) get traded mid-season. The bonus being determined by the players in the roster at Game 82 or TDL time feels a bit arbitrary.

I've asked this same question to knowledgeable people. I'm not 100% sold it's accurate, but if you asked me my confidence level I'd say 90%+ this is correct.

Basically every performance bonus clause comparison group includes players on the roster at the end of the season with 42+ games played. Even if some of those 42+ games were previously played with a different team.

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad