GDT: Full Blown Assed GDT: Flames @ Devils - 4 Game Win Streak, What Up With That?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I like Dano but he was definitely better in the studio/host role. That said, Chico probably wasn't super-polished in his first year either.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wasn't able to watch or even keep track of the game.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

Devils played a good first, Cammo scored on a nice feed by Tootoo.

Cammo hit the post in the 2nd and Bernier had a golden chance in front to increase the lead.

Zid had a brain freeze with 15 seconds left in the 2nd and let a flame get behind him for an easy tippin goal.
Merrill took a dumb slash penalty at the conclusion of the period.

Calgary scores pp goal right away to start the third. Greene did not play a pass well and it got tipped in.

Devils had about 5 very good scoring chances late in the 3rd that were either saved by ramo or shot wide.

Had a pp with 46 sec onds left, pulled Cory to get 6 on 4.

Gomez lost the faceoff, Devils forwards softly let the Calgary d man retrieve the puck, skate it out and score from his own zone.

Game and playoff pipe dreams, over.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Letting their guard down the last 20 seconds of the 2nd cost them the game.

Devils win if they closed out the period and didn't start the 3rd shorthanded.

Calgary was begging to be beat til that Devils implosion.

Still not sure what Zid was thinking on the first goal allowed.

That tootoo didn't suck

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils played a good first, Cammo scored on a nice feed by Tootoo.

Cammo hit the post in the 2nd and Bernier had a golden chance in front to increase the lead.

Zid had a brain freeze with 15 seconds left in the 2nd and let a flame get behind him for an easy tippin goal.
Merrill took a dumb slash penalty at the conclusion of the period.

Calgary scores pp goal right away to start the third. Greene did not play a pass well and it got tipped in.

Devils had about 5 very good scoring chances late in the 3rd that were either saved by ramo or shot wide.

Had a pp with 46 sec onds left, pulled Cory to get 6 on 4.

Gomez lost the faceoff, Devils forwards softly let the Calgary d man retrieve the puck, skate it out and score from his own zone.

Game and playoff pipe dreams, over.

I saw the highlights. That was all Tootoo. Greene took one man, Zidlicky stepped up to prevent the one time by Hudler, and Tootoo just lets his guy go. He has to read that and stick with his guy.

The unfortunate thing though is if they actually played well and kept up with the Flames. I feel like that would be a lot more disheartening than getting destroyed by the Flames.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Looking at the highlights, the first goal was Tootoo's fault more than Zid's. And Jesus Christ could we have given Giordano any more time and space on the PP goal? That whole side of the ice was completely open.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looking at the highlights, the first goal was Tootoo's fault more than Zid's. And Jesus Christ could we have given Giordano any more time and space on the PP goal? That whole side of the ice was completely open.

I really hate to continue blaming coaches and I know our PK has been good lately, I really want Foligno at least moved from coaching the PK. Maybe assign him to run something else after this year.

I fully expect it to start bleeding goals again. Because when it rains on the PK, it really seems to pour.

Either we're killing them left and right or we're bleeding goals and giving them away like candy.

I feel like it's the same mistakes on the PK over and over again. It seems to have some really long slumps too, which is why I'm expecting it to start crapping out again.

Part of me thinks maybe it isn't Foligno as much as it was DeBoer/Oates. It always took forever to adjust and make changes when they were needed, both are notorious trademarks of Pete and Oates.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I just saw the replay and yeah tootoo got beat but live at the game it appeared that Zid let his guard down and could have played it better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Amazingly the last Devil head coach to beat Calgary was John MacLean.

It was in a shootout too, wasn't it?

And Hedberg was in.

I was at that game, forgot all about it until just now.

Think it was right before the Black Friday (or maybe it was a Saturday afternoon? I was at that game too) disaster loss to the Islanders, after the Islanders had lost like 14 straight.

I think Tedenby maybe even went in the shootout in that game, not sure if he scored or not. Probably not but I'm pretty sure he did have a shootout goal once. Might have just been that penalty shot goal though. If it was, it was probably his last shootout goal to date.

I don't even remember who won that shootout. Zajac rings a bell.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm just looking at Ottawa right now, to me they're not that much worse than Calgary on paper.

Calgary has a couple forwards better than almost anyone on Ottawa, they also have a defense pairing better than anything on Ottawa. Ottawa is better in goal, at least when Anderson is in.

I figured Ottawa would be in contention for McDavid, but they might pick closer to 10th than the 5th or 6th I thought. Goaltending has kept them from being worse.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm just looking at Ottawa right now, to me they're not that much worse than Calgary on paper.

Calgary has a couple forwards better than almost anyone on Ottawa, they also have a defense pairing better than anything on Ottawa. Ottawa is better in goal, at least when Anderson is in.

I figured Ottawa would be in contention for McDavid, but they might pick closer to 10th than the 5th or 6th I thought. Goaltending has kept them from being worse.

I may flick on Ottawa game to get a good nights sleep

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What really sucks is we were the better team tonight.

90 million odd man rushes and most of them ended up in someone's sticks or skates/shin pads. A couple off the glass and one off the post. Then one in Ramo's belly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was in a shootout too, wasn't it?

And Hedberg was in.

I was at that game, forgot all about it until just now.

Think it was right before the Black Friday (or maybe it was a Saturday afternoon? I was at that game too) disaster loss to the Islanders, after the Islanders had lost like 14 straight.

I think Tedenby maybe even went in the shootout in that game, not sure if he scored or not. Probably not but I'm pretty sure he did have a shootout goal once. Might have just been that penalty shot goal though. If it was, it was probably his last shootout goal to date.

I don't even remember who won that shootout. Zajac rings a bell.

It was Kovalchuk who got the shootout winner, before he actually became good at the shootout.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201011240NJD.html

I misremembered on Tedenby's penalty shot goal though, that one came against the Caps in another of our rare MacLean wins, the 5-0 slaughter of the Caps. I thought it was against the Habs in the game we got killed for some reason.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That might be average at best for a backup.

He's not very good.

Jesus Christ Flames fans really are delusional, they actually think Ramo is good

Look, first of all I apologize to other Devils fans for getting into it with this guy. My brain tells me to just ignore him and leave the board. But here I go anyways.

Ramo has been solid for most of the season except specifically the 8 game losing streak where the whole team was making some of the worst turnovers out of any team in the NHL leading to easy goals. Take away the five games in December and Ramo's averaging a .924 on the season. He never really got a chance to make up for that in January after a concussion took him out. Since his return though he's been great, even in the game where Boston lit him up the goals weren't really his fault.

He was also posting a .918 from December through April of the 2013-2014 season which most would say is a decent percentage over 30 starts. He started that season with an injury while adjusting to a different league and with the team's best defenseman injured, so personally I can't exactly blame him for October/November of 2013.

Has Ramo been a star? Probably not - and he's very likely NOT returning to our team as a free agent next year as Ortio takes over the starting spot and Hiller is still under contract, so I have no vested interest in defending him, other than to point out the stats. I'd bet Ramo could backstop an elite veteran team like Chicago to a championship, but no he'll never be a Vezina candidate.

Wanna bet Calgary isn't good next year?

Everything from trades to injuries can happen. In fact, some trades must happen as otherwise the Flames will have about 18 forwards pushing for 14 spots, and at least one young Dman pushing aggressively for a spot. Losing four or five veterans like that can obviously lead to a young team regressing a bit.

So no, I'm not betting on an "entire season" that can't be predicted. Especially not when a missed week by Giordano or Brodie could effectively end an entire season out West.

But I like watching my team thanks.

Anyways I'm out, again sorry other Devils fans. I wasn't here to discuss my team but I took the bait.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Look, first of all I apologize to other Devils fans for getting into it with this guy. My brain tells me to just ignore him and leave the board. But here I go anyways.

Ramo has been solid for most of the season except specifically the 8 game losing streak where the whole team was making some of the worst turnovers out of any team in the NHL leading to easy goals. Take away the five games in December and Ramo's averaging a .924 on the season. He never really got a chance to make up for that in January after a concussion took him out. Since his return though he's been great, even in the game where Boston lit him up the goals weren't really his fault.

He was also posting a .918 from December through April of the 2014 season which most would say is a decent percentage over 30 starts.

Has Ramo been a star? Probably not - and he's very likely NOT returning to our team as a free agent next year as Ortio takes over the starting spot and Hiller is still under contract, so I have no vested interest in defending him, other than to point out the stats. I'd bet Ramo could backstop an elite veteran team like Chicago to a championship, but no he'll never be a Vezina candidate.

Everything from trades to injuries can happen. In fact, some trades must happen as otherwise the Flames will have about 18 forwards pushing for 14 spots, and at least one young Dman pushing aggressively for a spot. Losing four or five veterans like that can obviously lead to a young team regressing a bit.

So no, I'm not betting on an "entire season" that can't be predicted. Especially not when a missed week by Giordano or Brodie could effectively end an entire season out West.

But I like watching my team thanks.

Anyways I'm out, again sorry other Devils fans. I wasn't here to discuss my team but I took the bait.

no need to apologize. bleed thrives on posters like you.

good to see you throw some stats back at him to digest. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was Kovalchuk who got the shootout winner, before he actually became good at the shootout.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201011240NJD.html

I misremembered on Tedenby's penalty shot goal though, that one came against the Caps in another of our rare MacLean wins, the 5-0 slaughter of the Caps. I thought it was against the Habs in the game we got killed for some reason.

The penalty shot in the Habs game was a Habs player on McKenna.

McKenna stopped him, though I don't even remember what player had the penalty shot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really hate to continue blaming coaches and I know our PK has been good lately, I really want Foligno at least moved from coaching the PK. Maybe assign him to run something else after this year.

I fully expect it to start bleeding goals again. Because when it rains on the PK, it really seems to pour.

Either we're killing them left and right or we're bleeding goals and giving them away like candy.

I feel like it's the same mistakes on the PK over and over again. It seems to have some really long slumps too, which is why I'm expecting it to start crapping out again.

Part of me thinks maybe it isn't Foligno as much as it was DeBoer/Oates. It always took forever to adjust and make changes when they were needed, both are notorious trademarks of Pete and Oates.

Ironically enough, I think the main reason for the Devils success in the playoffs in 2012 was how well DeBoer adjusted to each opponent -- aside from Florida who had our number all season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ironically enough, I think the main reason for the Devils success in the playoffs in 2012 was how well DeBoer adjusted to each opponent -- aside from Florida who had our number all season.

I thought they were terrible at adjusting the PP in the SCF. Kovalchuk clearly couldn't operate like he had been at that point, yet they didn't even change anything.

I thought the PK was slow to adjust too. It was a problem in every series other than the Flyers one.

This may have been more of the special teams coaches (Oates and Barr) than anything though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I thought they were terrible at adjusting the PP in the SCF. Kovalchuk clearly couldn't operate like he had been at that point, yet they didn't even change anything.

I thought the PK was slow to adjust too. It was a problem in every series other than the Flyers one.

This may have been more of the special teams coaches (Oates and Barr) than anything though.

In terms of how they adjusted as a team against the Flyers and Rangers, they were incredible in that respect. They just took all the life out of the Flyers

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
We aren't giving Calgary enough credit.

Monahan and Gaudreau are studs. Giordano is a top 3 dman in the league. Hartley is a proven winner at coach too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad