Fucale or Zykov???

NewHabsEra*

Many on here were pretty high on Zykov, me included, I thought he wouldnt be avalaible at 25th when we drafted first and was surprised to see him still avalaible.. Well, not only we passed on him once but we could have drafted this kid with our 36th pick instead of Fucale (who Ive never been impressed with personally) then the pick after L.A. traded up to grab Zykov 37th overall, what is a HUGE steal IMO.. I know many here wanted us to draft a goaltender cause we had none in our prospects bank, but did we draft the right guy? I rather think this draft was based on needs way more than the usual BPA and that we will look back at this draft in a couple of years from now with some regrets.. Fucale was certainly the best goaltender in this draft stats wise, won the President trophey and the Mem Cup, what is impressive, but I rather think Fucale is a product of the incredible hockey machine the Mooseheads were more than a great netminder with incredible upside.. Im impressed with his level of maturity, he looks to have a good head on the shoulder and has a nice personality so maybe Habs brass believe he will progress well but as of right now, thats probably the weakest draft ever for goaltenders if Fucale is indeed the best of the bunch, cause he certainly is extremmely raw and flawed.

So should we have drafted Zykov instead or are you pretty confortable and confident Timmins made the good pick?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Leblanc or Shroeder?
Price or Brule?
Subban or Veilleux?
Tinordi or Kabanov?
Galchenyuk or Grigorenko?

Thsee comparisons, where people bash Timmins, come up after every draft.

Last edited:

JonathanToews19clutc*

I wanted Valentin Zykov in this draft, but Zach Fucale is better player, he have potential to be a elite goalie vs potential 2nd liner... call me crazy but Zach Fucale is top 4 (or 10) talent in the draft behind MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones, (maybe too Nichuskin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk etc...) in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We needed a goalie. We got the best one in the draft.

Goodnight.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Many on here were pretty high on Zykov, me included, I thought he wouldnt be avalaible at 25th when we drafted first and was surprised to see him still avalaible.. Well, not only we passed on him once but we could have drafted this kid with our 36th pick instead of Fucale (who Ive never been impressed with personally) then the pick after L.A. traded up to grab Zykov 37th overall, what is a HUGE steal IMO.. I know many here wanted us to draft a goaltender cause we had none in our prospects bank, but did we draft the right guy? I rather think this draft was based on needs way more than the usual BPA and that we will look back at this draft in a couple of years from now with some regrets.. Fucale was certainly the best goaltender in this draft stats wise, won the President trophey and the Mem Cup, what is impressive, but I rather think Fucale is a product of the incredible hockey machine the Mooseheads were more than a great netminder with incredible upside.. Im impressed with his level of maturity, he looks to have a good head on the shoulder and has a nice personality so maybe Habs brass believe he will progress well but as of right now, thats probably the weakest draft ever for goaltenders if Fucale is indeed the best of the bunch, cause he certainly is extremmely raw and flawed.

So should we have drafted Zykov instead or are you pretty confortable and confident Timmins made the good pick?

Gotta give it up on Zykov. I'm not Fucale's biggest fan, but don't discredit him because he played for the Mooseheads, who's strength was in their forwards rather than their defence.

I personally fail to see the big deal on Zykov, and seeing as it took to 37 for him to go, so did a lot of other teams.

Debates on 18-19 year olds just drafted go nowhere.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Goodnight.

Exactly, can't keep going forward with nobody in the system to challenge Price down the road unless you feel Tokarski is the one that will do that.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
The expression BPA shouldn't be the right term to describes a pick. You draft by projections and on translations. on different criteria. Also, expressing by drafting for your needs is also biased. Of course you draft for all kinds of needs. We were lacking in the pool of prospects size, character and commitments. Look what happen to Kristo as example. They decided to focus on criteria that will translate in theirs selections. I'm pretty sure all of McCarron, De La Rose, Fucale and Lehkonen are good teamates for their respective club; all of them commited to training hard and hardworking. That's needs based on what type of people you want to build your club; dedicated to win at any cost. When you watch playing on the ice DLR and McCarron: they never stop. Strong desire. Fucale same mold. He was part of a team who won a Memorial cup. Tremendous experience for him to know all the sacrifices that it takes for winning a championship .

JonathanToews19clutc*

I wanted Valentin Zykov over Michael McCarron, not De La Rose and Fucale.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wanted Zykov over De La Rose.. not over Fucale

Exactly. Not sure why we have to choose between those 2. Zykov at 25. Dauphin or Compher at 34. Fucale at 36. De La Rose can only pleasantly surprise us though. I do have to say though....after seeing what I saw yesterday....I'm really pleased with McCarron.....really pleased....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fucale at 36 was grand larceny. It would have been nice to get Zykov as well but given the choice between the 2, I don't think many GM's would think twice about Fucale. He was the best player at his position in the draft, has top end talent AND fills a massive void we have in our system for a goalie. This is akin to Boston taking Subban last year to address their lack of goaltending depth.

I know a lot of people were pissed that we didn't draft more "talent" and went more for size, but we're up to our ears in small, talented forwards and defense. We have a huge lack of depth in size and goaltending which is what we drafted for.

Combine this years draft to our existing prospect pool and we now have a complete roster of players at every postion that will push each other to make the NHL and make themselves better in the process.

Great draft and great organizational depth now. We have an even brighter future now and more depth. All things we need to compete and assets to possibily trade to get even more assets.

Very happy.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I really admire you guys who have the time to track every junior league in the world.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
When Fucale starts to play well at the NHL level, I predict there will be a thread that will criticize Timmins for waiting until selection 36 to take him. At that point Timmins will not be a prescient judge of talent, but rather lucky and reckless.

fredflag

Jun 29, 2012
Get over Zykov already, if he was that good, why did he slip too the 37 spot???
I am tired of all those second guessing after 3 days of the draft. 99.9999% of the people on this board only read scouting report and think they are better at picking draft pick then Trevor Timmins who get pay good money and probably spend 75% of is free time in arena and have an army of scout at is disposition...

Get over it and stop having an hard-on on a player we did not draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Goodnight.
This. Everyone basically said he was a huge steal so why be upset about it?
Get over Zykov already, if he was that good, why did he slip too the 37 spot???
I am tired of all those second guessing after 3 days of the draft. 99.9999% of the people on this board only read scouting report and think they are better at picking draft pick then Trevor Timmins who get pay good money and probably spend 75% of is free time in arena and have an army of scout at is disposition...

Get over it and stop having an hard-on on a player we did not draft.
I have no idea how good he is but folks had projected him coming to us. I was surprised we didn't take him at 25 or 34. I think MM will turn out to be a good pick. As for the number 34 pick it was a bit of a surprise.

We passed on him and he slipped. However, LA did trade up to get him and I think they paid a bunch of picks for him too. It will be interesting seeing how he turns out. I think he would've been good at 34. I can only base this off what I've read though. I haven't seen these guys play.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm sure your knee-jerk has absolutely nothing to do with Whitesnake's report from one freaking day of development camp.

Last edited:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Why choose between the two, when we could've had both...snag Zykov instead of De La Rose, than keep the 36th as Fucale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad