Fucale or Zykov???

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
For anyone who did draft rankings and had Zykov ahead of DLR....was it a huge gap? I know they were close on my lists...so why bicker over it? I'll defer to the guys who are in junior rinks every night over my opinion when there's not much difference in their rankings. If I had Zykov in the top 20 and DLR as a third rounder...i'd likely be disappointed...but they were both ranked in my 30's come draft time.

My final list had Zykov a few spots ahead of DLR..but at the end of the day..picking a versatile 6-2 Swede who skates better over a Russian wasn't a poor decision. Does Zykov have more offensive upside? I'd give him the edge as a goal scorer..not sure he'll be a better playmaker, time will tell. Zykov was a more risky pick.

Earlier in the year I was more impressed with Zykov, but with continued viewings some warts popped up. He doesn't have the greatest vision in the world, and his skating, while not bad, needs more work than DLR. Zykov is a strong kid, but he isn't going to scrap...I think at the end of the day DLR might have more jam.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
At the time when the Habs were picking at 36, I didn't really them to draft Fucale since I assumed that there would be good goalies available at 55 or 71. Then, Jarry and Desrosier got picked before 55. So yeah, desaster avoided. :laugh:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
My take on Zykov vs DLR
Zykov, higher bust rate but bigger upside more of a boom or bust + russian factor.
DLR more of a sure bet to play in the NHL, upside is limited.

Another thing I noticed since the last 2 drafts under Bergevin is that we never selected a russian player(No I don't consider Galchenyuk as a russian) could be just a coincidence but still food for thought.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
I love when people are saying" i wanted him over him". Did you guys see them play or just saying that because of the ratings????

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Fucale at 36 was grand larceny. It would have been nice to get Zykov as well but given the choice between the 2, I don't think many GM's would think twice about Fucale. He was the best player at his position in the draft, has top end talent AND fills a massive void we have in our system for a goalie. This is akin to Boston taking Subban last year to address their lack of goaltending depth.

I know a lot of people were pissed that we didn't draft more "talent" and went more for size, but we're up to our ears in small, talented forwards and defense. We have a huge lack of depth in size and goaltending which is what we drafted for.

Combine this years draft to our existing prospect pool and we now have a complete roster of players at every postion that will push each other to make the NHL and make themselves better in the process.

Great draft and great organizational depth now. We have an even brighter future now and more depth. All things we need to compete and assets to possibily trade to get even more assets.

Very happy.

Fucale may be good goalie but in 2021. It takes typical goalie until mid-late 20s to mature. Price drafted in 2005, still hasn't matured 8 years later, inconsistent. Rask was drafted same year, didn't mature until last year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'm not voting because I don't think the question is fair...but at the Habs' pick, in terms of who was left on the board, I had Zykov as my #1 wish and McCarron at #2. So the fact that we passed three times on the guy I had #1...well, time will tell, I guess. I've never been a big fan of de la Rose but he's much less of a gamble, IMO.

Personally I would have taken Zykov over DLR. McCarron/Zykov/Fucale would have been a stellar first three picks to me, instead of just a "very good" first three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad