OT: FUBAR in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I don't believe that. It is more expensive, a larger problem with a single point failure, has serious waste issues, and takes much longer to roll out. It should certainly be a part of the solution for load management, but why would you want more expensive power. The cheapest power to deploy right now is wind and solar.

Next Gen Nuclear doesn’t produce the waste that they told you was scary as a kid.

https://www.wired.com/story/recycled-nuclear-waste-will-power-a-new-reactor/

Even climate scientists will say this is the way. It’s the gap for between non functional periods wind and solar experience.

The biggest hurdle we have really is power storage (battery technology).

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I don't believe that. It is more expensive, a larger problem with a single point failure, has serious waste issues, and takes much longer to roll out. It should certainly be a part of the solution for load management, but why would you want more expensive power. The cheapest power to deploy right now is wind and solar.
Totally agree.

There other side is energy consumption. There are some interesting debates around things like mass timber (personally, I am still ambivalent). However, there is little moral argument not to move to a mostly plant-based diet. Addressing the consumption side would weaken Putin and his ilk, extend the window for transforming into non-fossil fuel sources, and create economic growth.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Totally agree.

There other side is energy consumption. There are some interesting debates around things like mass timber (personally, I am still ambivalent). However, there is little moral argument not to move to a mostly plant-based diet. Addressing the consumption side would weaken Putin and his ilk, extend the window for transforming into non-fossil fuel sources, and create economic growth.

you should see how many animals are killed in the name of mass farming

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Next Gen Nuclear doesn’t produce the waste that they told you was scary as a kid.

Recycled Nuclear Waste Will Power a New Reactor

Even climate scientists will say this is the way. It’s the gap for between non functional periods wind and solar experience.

The biggest hurdle we have really is power storage (battery technology).
That is at least a decade away. They are just in the testing phases of the development of commercial systems. In that decade, you could transform the electrical grid with wind and solar and battery backup that is already mature, deployable, and cheap.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
And it's friggin' inefficient for large-scale stuff.

Wind plants are useless for those without a sea access.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Russia has produced a long line of brutal megalomaniac dictators with Lenin-Stalin & now Putin on the list.

If Ukraine falls to Putin, I fear for Ukrainian citizens that will be locked up or murdered. Stalin game plan was to lock up and murder the intellectuals/societal leaders and then use "education" to indoctrinate the remaining citizens. As a KGB student of history, I don't doubt Putin will go down the same road.

Mankind continues to demonstrate that every generation produces a madman or two that the world needs to protect itself from. Putin today, perhaps Xi tomorrow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Reported that eighteen Il-76 are airborne from Pskov and en route to Kyiv arriving in an hour, possibly full of paratroopers to take control of the capital.

Reactions: geehaad

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Uk newspapers are often good sources of info on Europe.

Telegraph headline article.....Putin is clearly a madman:
Vladimir Putin appears to threaten nuclear strikes if West launches reprisal attacks

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Don't believe that going nuclear is Putin's first option, ffs. First comes tit for tat cyber war, which worries me unless the U.S. has been holding back its capabilities through the last few years. In the meantime...
>go get cash now
>stock up on water bottles (I left some for you)
>gas up your cars (no lines at the pump yet)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Don't believe that going nuclear is Putin's first option, ffs. First comes tit for tat cyber war, which worries me unless the U.S. has been holding back its capabilities through the last few years. In the meantime...
>go get cash now
>stock up on water bottles (I left some for you)
>gas up your cars (no lines at the pump yet)
This kind of fear mongering isn't helpful.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Torpedo is replacing them in the playoffs, Kochetkov could've in hindsight stayed and played in the KHL playoffs... Of course it's much better for the Canes and maybe him depending on his views that he's already here. Odds are if the Ukraine situation does impact the NHL it could impact players who don't have US/Canadian visas yet but less likely to impact players who are already in NA. I wonder if Pyotr will stay here indefinitely now if he wants a chance in the NHL next season, as there could be a risk of him not being allowed back if he leaves. All hypothetical of course.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, I pretty much agree on just not asking athletes about this stuff. Ovi, along with other prominent Russian athletes, are told by Putin to vocally support the government or face consequences. Russian athletes abroad have two options- love the dictator, or do the Panarin where you can never return home with any assurance of safety. While I'd love to see more moral courage among rich athletes who actually do have a way out, moral courage is admirable precisely because it's rare.

I think it is appropriate to go after Ovi for comments he's made about Putin, I also wouldn't be at all shocked if Ovechkin privately agrees. You do need to make sure pro-dictator narratives don't go unchallenged, it's not about shaming Ovi, it's about making sure that people know that they should not trust or listen to him on the issue.

End of the day, these guys are in a really difficult spot. I'd love them to go full Panarin, but I can completely understand the costs of that.

Your last line is the real issue. Moral courage to never return to your homeland is one thing. Moral courage when you have family still in your homeland is another. I know we all see athletes as these ubber rich throw money at any problem guys but the truth is most could not afford to bring their entire families state side, so chances are there is always someone in danger of getting hurt or losing their life if you make the wrong comment.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It sure will. Probably not as much though as it would if we have to invoke Article 5 of the NATO charter when Putin thinks he can get away with moving into the Baltic States to "protect" Kaliningrad. I wouldn't want to be the President that appeased Putin to make that possible. And (here I put on the optimism in people hat) one would hope that a second term comes a distant second to the right decisions in a situation like this.

Yeah right, never underestimate the American politican's ambition. The next election is always the first and most important part of their job, FTR thats both sides of the isle.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We all need to go to rehab on that one.

Part of the problem is that it's not just "cheap stuff". For leading edge technology for semi-conductors, there are only 2 companies in the world that have the capability. Samsung and TSMC (who is the largest). We put an embargo on China and US's access to semi-conductors from Taiwan will likely be shut off as well. This is not just leading edge stuff either, Taiwan provides a ton of semi-conductors.

China and the US have a somewhat symbiotic relationship. We can't do well without their stuff and they can't do well without their best and biggest customer. Hopefully that dependence on each other keeps things in check.

I agree with you about we've become addicted to cheap stuff though.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The West (non-Russia & China) needs to immediately look to build rare earth & semi-conductor capability along with targeting vulnerable supply chain products for domestic production.

Sadly, the political class we have today are not FDR/Churchill types and have lined their pockets with dirty/influential money.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The offensive had been prepared for some time, also because such a thing cannot be organized in two days. I wonder if Putin will be content with what he is getting now, which is the fall of the Ukrainian government in order, I imagine, to set one back into the Russian sphere of influence. It will be very important to see how the US / NATO reacts. When we know this, based on the answer, we will know if Putin will stop or continue towards the other former Soviet republics, namely the Baltic states.

I would now invite you to see NATO's progressive eastward expansion over the years. The problem is that. Or at least that's what Russia / Putin can no longer accept.

We must also keep in mind that we are rightly seeing the solidarity of the whole world in the borders of Ukraine, we know that they want to join NATO but it is also true that many countries, including the United States have never been convinced to let them enter or at least they have their doubts in doing so, otherwise Ukraine would have already been welcomed. Thinking that countries like Finland can join NATO is quite utopian as well as very counterproductive, especially obviously at the moment.
Unfortunately, we can only be spectators of events and hope that new agreements will be reached.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Part of the problem is that it's not just "cheap stuff". For leading edge technology for semi-conductors, there are only 2 companies in the world that have the capability. Samsung and TSMC (who is the largest). We put an embargo on China and US's access to semi-conductors from Taiwan will likely be shut off as well. This is not just leading edge stuff either, Taiwan provides a ton of semi-conductors.

China and the US have a somewhat symbiotic relationship. We can't do well without their stuff and they can't do well without their best and biggest customer. Hopefully that dependence on each other keeps things in check.

I agree with you about we've become addicted to cheap stuff though.
I was mostly referring to "cheaper" stuff, not just cheap stuff. Anything made in China is cheaper than if made here, and that has hurt us. Yes, I don't like paying more for things. But I'd rather pay a bit more and have more jobs here (and in our allies cities) and have less of a fear that I'm paying the guy who is going to start a war then keep paying for cheaper stuff.

Unfortunately, as you said, that is hard to change cold turkey because of how wrapped up we've become with them. But if we don't take the opportunity to start unwinding ourselves from them when it is morally right to do so, how much harder will it be when to start unwinding when things are quiet....and how much harder will it be the next time there is a crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce