OT: FUBAR in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I think we need a separate thread. Same way we had one when Corona hit. That being said, I hope everyone will stay as opinionated and cordial as ever. Because… hell, I am not sure I will be able to.

So how do little guys close to this probably feel about it.

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania (unison) - thank fu^k we joined NATO when we did…
Poland - Krzysztof. GET THE WINGS.
Romania - Could we please remind everyone Transnistria is a thing TOO? Yes, Moldova I am telling them.
Slovakia - *schizofrenia ensues between dumb russophiles and people who are scared because they have a border with a warring state and NATO might actually want some contribution*
Czech republic - Wait a minute! I have seen this one. It’s a classic. Right Poland? Anschluss into Sudetenland into fake attack in Gliwice. *Poland chimes in* I KNOW KURWA.
Finland -

VITTU.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
On a real note, the entity respobsible for stalling the development of humanity as a whole known as PRC is being predictable for once.

“No invasion, just Russia protecting its interests. Also, US you are being militaristic.”

I might need to use my lack of warning points soon.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Well, this happened. I've been pro-NATO from the second the Soviet Union collapsed, and it's pretty depressing to find myself a secpol genius.

edit: The Finnish Minister of Defense has updated his daily assurances of "no threat to Finland" to "no imminent threat to Finland". How nice.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
What a world we live in and my heart goes out to those in the region. My co-workers are quite concerned and anxious. My adored nephew was sent to Poland last week by the Army. He's has a precious 1 year old. His sister's (my niece) husband will soon follow once she delivers their baby this week. My family is quite worried.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The President was funny in the presser. Someone asked: how do you feel about Putin right now?

"Ahm. As I said in my opening statement, the masks have come off, and all we see is the cold face of war. And... I guess this is enough an answer for that."

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Is he going to stop with Ukraine? I don’t think he cares about sanctions much and he knows none of the military powers are going to do anything

I don't think this is an expansion war. And NATO's behavior over the years is the other side of the same coin.

Reactions: Daeavorn

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
What a world we live in and my heart goes out to those in the region. My co-workers are quite concerned and anxious. My adored nephew was sent to Poland last week by the Army. He's has a precious 1 year old. His sister's (my niece) husband will soon follow once she delivers their baby this week. My family is quite worried.
For little that it's worth... his service means a world to me now. And to many people in my region.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I don't think this is an expansion war. And NATO's behavior over the years is the other side of the same coin.

My take on Putin is, he's hellbent on healing the great trauma of his life, i.e. the disintegration of the Soviet Union. He's also happy to take any extra parts that belonged to Imperial Russia, should they become available.

I also don't recall NATO effing up Poland or the Baltic states to achieve expansion.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
My take on Putin is, he's hellbent on healing the great trauma of his life, i.e. the disintegration of the Soviet Union. He's also happy to take any extra parts that belonged to Imperial Russia, should they become available.

I also don't recall NATO effing up Poland or the Baltic states to achieve expansion.
Or us. Or Slovaks. Or Hungarians. Or Bulgaria. Or Romania.

Big reminders.

Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania with similar or the same borders (Lithuania was smaller because portions of its current territory were part of Poland which was much larger in the east and much smaller in the west. That included Vilnius, their historical and current day capital. Kaunas was the capital at the time.) existed before WW2 and were forcibly integrated into USSR at the dawn of WW2.

Poland was stabbed in the back by Soviets at the dawn of war.

Talvisota.

Czechoslovakia was invaded as a part of the Warsaw pact because it wasn't commie enough in 1968.

Invasion of Hungary similar to the one mentioned a decade prior was much bloodier.

NATO has faults.
Many.
But it doesn't have the track record of stabbing its own members in the back with a RUSTY SYPHILIS COATED SERRATED KNIFE.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Also.

Hot take. Neighboring nations will have this issue as long as they have a Russian minority in their country. What was done in Czech(oslovakian) territory after WW2 was disgusting, but given what Germans have done in the years prior... it was passable. And in the long run it was a good thing for the mutual relationship of Czechs and Germans.
And don't go easy on the sanctions. Sanction every fu^king thing you can. Expel their diplomats. Send everyone with a Russian passport home. Freeze the money. Get them out of SWIFT.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Mofo said that Ukraine is an integral part of Russia and that Russia is rectifying the mistakes of the Soviet Union. Call it expansion, call it Anschluss, call it whatever. Ukraine might lose territory or its entire existence.

Doubtful they stop there.

Sabre-rattling and not much else in response to their Ukraine invasion might motivate them to try to reconnect Kaliningrad to the motherland.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Doubtful they stop there.

Sabre-rattling and not much else in response to their Ukraine invasion might motivate them to try to reconnect Kaliningrad to the motherland.

This is the doubt that arises spontaneously, I personally do not think it will be like this even if obviously I am not sure and I can be wrong. Kiev will fall in the next few hours and we will have a more accurate picture in the next few days. What I want to point out, with the sorrow in my heart for the Ukrainian people (I know many people who work here in my city), is that there are specific reasons as to why we have come to this point. And for this I wrote that there is also the other side of the same coin.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The only way you have a chance of stopping this without using military force is going nuclear on the sanctions. No trading with Russia, or anyone who does. Make China choose between the European and North American markets or Russian markets. No muddy middle.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The only way you have a chance of stopping this without using military force is going nuclear on the sanctions. No trading with Russia, or anyone who does. Make China choose between the European and North American markets or Russian markets. No muddy middle.
Europe doesn’t have energy independence. They rely on Russia. I doubt they can go that severe.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Is he going to stop with Ukraine? I don’t think he cares about sanctions much and he knows none of the military powers are going to do anything

Seems like it depends on how much Ukraine resists? If it turns into some sort of guerilla warfare situation with the populace refusing Russian rule, I'd think it'd be a decades long quagmire.

If the Ukrainians are like "Welp, guess we're russians again." Then no reason not to hit up the next country on the list.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Putin straight up threatened a nuclear strike against any country that intervened with their operations in Ukraine.

Thing is, the rest of the world really is too spineless to do anything about it. Doesn't really matter who we have in power here in the US (R or D) our extent will be to scold the actions, take to media and social media to declare our moral horror about everything, maybe send in a small military force that, by design, will do little more than providing a temporary block to Russia's advances before pulling out. Fact of the matter is, our government in all parties, is saturated by Russian agents. We are Putin's puppets, and he's acting now because he knows he has full control over our response.

Funny, I didn't even like the guy but think back to the 2012 election when the candidates were asked the biggest threat of national security, Romney was absolutely roasted for saying it was Russia. That man could not have been more correct at the time, and that threat has only grown since.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Weeell... Moscow stock exchange has come down 45 points today and Ruble is at its all time low. Some economy guy noted that we ain't got anything to screw Russia worse than they just did themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad