OT: FUBAR in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Did you know that the North Carolina Army National Guard is the "partner force" for Moldova? We've had Special Forces teams rotating in and out of there (and Ukraine) for a while now.

Ukraine has been preparing for guerrilla war for 8 years, participating in NATO exercises and such. They knew this was inevitable. If Putin choses to occupy the entire country, the price will be high.

For those of you all hot to trot for us to get involved militarily- maybe you should do the research on what a 120 kiloton MIRV from an RS-28 Sarmat would do to Raleigh, or Ft. Bragg, or Seymour Johnson AFB. I wish the Ukraine the best of luck but this isn't our fight. Give them more Javelin missiles and anti tank mines, sure. Sanctions, of course. But it would be highly reckless to get involved further.
The threat of nukes is a bluff. Putin may be crazy but he knows he would lose. The US could make Russia uninhabitable for centuries. Needless to say adding in the rest of the NATO countries, they would run out of targets. But if Putin goes ahead and threatens it, the group will back out because they don’t want to use them.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I would be for it, if pusin would be at least such a dictator who are seriously about to challenge usa, but he's just a clown and rat which goal is to not loose the power and keep russia to be 3rd world country, which economy based on trading oil and gaz, with poor population, corruption and tons of best young people imigrating every year to western countries since 90s. That rat was never about the national interests and pride of russians

Reactions: geehaad and Porvari

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Did you know that the North Carolina Army National Guard is the "partner force" for Moldova? We've had Special Forces teams rotating in and out of there (and Ukraine) for a while now.

Ukraine has been preparing for guerrilla war for 8 years, participating in NATO exercises and such. They knew this was inevitable. If Putin choses to occupy the entire country, the price will be high.

For those of you all hot to trot for us to get involved militarily- maybe you should do the research on what a 120 kiloton MIRV from an RS-28 Sarmat would do to Raleigh, or Ft. Bragg, or Seymour Johnson AFB. I wish the Ukraine the best of luck but this isn't our fight. Give them more Javelin missiles and anti tank mines, sure. Sanctions, of course. But it would be highly reckless to get involved further.
I wish for Russians to die by thousands in there. I care little whether it's by guerrilla or conventional warfare.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The threat of nukes is a bluff. Putin may be crazy but he knows he would lose. The US could make Russia uninhabitable for centuries. Needless to say adding in the rest of the NATO countries, they would run out of targets. But if Putin goes ahead and threatens it, the group will back out because they don’t want to use them.

Things can and do spiral out of control. Planning for an invasion of Western Europe in the 1980s by the Warsaw Pact always assumed that tactical nukes would be used eventually by whichever side was getting their ass kicked. It doesn't take much to escalate from battlefield low yield nukes to intercontinental strikes with city-busters. Playing "f*** around and find out" between nuclear armed nations is something to be avoided at all costs. I guess we forgot that lesson after 30 years.

My biggest concern is Cyber. There are no internationally agreed upon norms regarding its usage. Maybe things get unpleasant enough for Russia that a group of "unaffiliated" hackers decide to take down several power grids over here. What do you think would happen here without power for a couple months? Probably be worse than a few nukes, quite frankly.

I just hope the Biden Administration doesn't feel that its electoral woes can be remedied by a war.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Things can and do spiral out of control. Planning for an invasion of Western Europe in the 1980s by the Warsaw Pact always assumed that tactical nukes would be used eventually by whichever side was getting their ass kicked. It doesn't take much to escalate from battlefield low yield nukes to intercontinental strikes with city-busters. Playing "f*** around and find out" between nuclear armed nations is something to be avoided at all costs. I guess we forgot that lesson after 30 years.

My biggest concern is Cyber. There are no internationally agreed upon norms regarding its usage. Maybe things get unpleasant enough for Russia that a group of "unaffiliated" hackers decide to take down several power grids over here. What do you think would happen here without power for a couple months? Probably be worse than a few nukes, quite frankly.

I just hope the Biden Administration doesn't feel that its electoral woes can be remedied by a war.
I just hope NATO membership means something.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

Have you seen the show Revolution? Power grids going down would be an absolute nightmare. We freaked out over toilet paper and gas during a pandemic for crying out loud

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

The threat of nukes is likely a bluff, but since Chernobyl is currently a warzone, the risk of nuclear fallout hitting just about the entirety of eastern Europe is probably the highest it's been in a long, long time.

An explosion comes anywhere near the storage containers they have over there and the invasion of Ukraine immediately becomes the least of the world's worries.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The threat of nukes is likely a bluff, but since Chernobyl is currently a warzone, the risk of nuclear fallout hitting just about the entirety of eastern Europe is probably the highest it's been in a long, long time.

An explosion comes anywhere near the storage containers they have over there and the invasion of Ukraine immediately becomes the least of the world's worries.
The Finnish Radiation Office don't see potential for widespread radiation. Mostly a local issue if anything bad happens.

You know, bad in these circumstances.

Tomi Routamo, Deputy Director for the Supervision of Nuclear Power Plants at the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (Stuk), thinks of the threat posed to Europe by the nuclear power plant.

- It's hard to imagine some radiation coming from there that would travel very far. The fuel there has cooled there for so long that it no longer has the potential to spread over a very wide area. The plants have been out of service for a long time and the reactors have been decommissioned, Routamo tells Iltalehti.

According to Routamo, Stuk monitors the situation at a general level, but Chernobyl is not a specific target. The threat of radiation spreading is mainly local and Finland, for example, is not in danger.

- We at Stuk do not see such a threat that significant quantities of any substances could enter Finland. They are quite local, not spreading to the environment in the same way as they did then, Routamo says, referring to the Chernobyl accident.

- Of course, it should not be underestimated, the substance there is still very radioactive. If something spreads in the area, it will make it significantly more difficult to stay there. However, there is no potential comparable to that of the Chernobyl accident.

Reactions: Porvari

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Anyone who has been to Prague realizes that the Czech Republic is worth saving!!!
I'm bit more east, but I do appreciate the sentiment. Prague is great if it weren't for the people. Especially Russian and Chinese tourists.
Or very close esteemed partnership.
I think Finland should have nukes. We need to live in a world where there are nukes so close to Petersburg they can smell them.
Article 5 is what it is. If they invade the Baltic states, then its on.
Reminds me of this line.

Are you going to die for a piece of (chicken) land in the middle of Northeastern Europe?
Someone is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Being done already. The bill to put a shitload of money (roughly 250 billion) into exactly those things it is in conference negotiations between the House and Senate right now. Should be finalized in early March.

Thanks for that info. I really hope that both parties can see that this is needed and not start putting pork into the bill and playing politics with it. One can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad