News Article: From the Senators’ Chambers: Ottawa Is Better Than Their Record Indicates

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We're still really bad.

But the bright spots are the right spots.
The worst case scenario for this year was that we win too much on success by the non-core vets, while our youth core disappoints. Basically the opposite of that has happened, so I'm happy.

Pros:
Tim is a star.
Bath, norris and paul all look good.
We're on pace for another lottery pick.
White is turning things around.
Brady looks pretty good.

Cons:
goaltending is really bad.
we're not going to be able to flip those vets for much at the deadline.
Chabby has been just okay.

With the additional internal talent we have coming up, I can't see us being bad for too much longer.
Agree with most of this, but who do the Senators project to be their centers in a year (or two)?

There's Pinto of course. Is he the answer? Who is the really good, solid #1 center that they'll need to be a top team? It seems like they have more decent prospects at defense that will eventually assume roles with the big club.

It seems they could use another very talented center, so is there someone currently within the organization waiting in the wings so to speak, or will this have to come from another method?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Agree with most of this, but who do the Senators project to be their centers in a year (or two)?

There's Pinto of course. Is he the answer? Who is the really good, solid #1 center that they'll need to be a top team? It seems like they have more decent prospects at defense that will eventually assume roles with the big club.

It seems they could use another very talented center, so is there someone currently within the organization waiting in the wings so to speak, or will this have to come from another method?
Yep. It's a weakness for sure.

Maybe Tim gets a shot at center.

Maybe it's all by committee with middle six guys like Norris, Paul, Pinto and (hopefully) Brown.

Or maybe they bring in a UFA. Unless Jimmy moves over I wouldn't put any faith in us getting a legit 1C though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
PP 12.5% (25th)
PK 73.5% (25th)

Even good teams can't survive that. That's a coaching problem imo. The PK is partly a roster issue. Lot of red flags with the coaching staff.
PK is running at over 84% for the month of February, so I guess by your reasoning that improvement must be due to great coaching. It’s cool to see you post something positive for once.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
We are also playing really bad teams, or at least really bad defensive teams and still only have 3 wins. We are really really bad.

None of the teams in the North division are "really bad" what are you basing this on?

I think the problem is, every team is really good but they have to play each other all season so it makes the average teams look bad and the bad teams look worse. For example Ottawa would definitely be beating on some of the other teams in the league if they were able to play them as opposed to having to face Mcdavid, Matthews, Draisatl , Marner all season, and not to mention the elite players that play for Vancouver and Winnipeg.

This is actually a blessing in disguise for the Senators, they get to learn to play against six of the top 15 teams in the league and have to learn to beat them at their own game. With half decent goaltending to start the year and a better powerplay, this team would probably have a .500 record right now.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No we are not really bad, every analytics stats says we should be .500 team, the one area where we need to improve is PDO (SH% + SV%) we are dead last with 0.948.
And that stat usually evens out over time.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yep. It's a weakness for sure.

Maybe Tim gets a shot at center.

Maybe it's all by committee with middle six guys like Norris, Paul, Pinto and (hopefully) Brown.

Or maybe they bring in a UFA. Unless Jimmy moves over I wouldn't put any faith in us getting a legit 1C though.
DJ and Dorion have already stated Stuetzle will move to centre at some point.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
None of the teams in the North division are "really bad" what are you basing this on?
Really bad - no. The North division is one of the weakest though (& might be the weakest). The two top teams were 12th & 13th based on points percentage last year. That's not even in the top 30 percentile.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
No we are not really bad, every analytics stats says we should be .500 team, the one area where we need to improve is PDO (SH% + SV%) we are dead last with 0.948.
We also need to improve in the number of games we win, as a share of the number of games we play. Dead last on that one too. I would imagine lots of bad teams look pretty good if you ignore the parts they're bad at.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
84.6% is 6th in the league. It’s not an impression it’s fact. Do you ever think before making terrible statements.
Yeah, over the course of a season that's fine. If you want to Cherry pick the best run of a PK and that's the best stretch over a tiny sample, its probably not going to be good. The team dumped Coburn and has gotten better goaltending. That's helped. It's still fatally flawed. Passive and it doesn't try to take away other team's #1 options. How many times do I have to see Matthews get the puck in the left circle with no one around him? There are no adjustments from these coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad