News Article: From the Senators’ Chambers: Ottawa Is Better Than Their Record Indicates

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-outperforming-record-2020-21/

As difficult as it seems to fathom, the Senators, despite holding down last place overall in the NHL, are not as bad as their record would indicate. And they certainly aren’t in the same discussion of bad as the early 1990s Senators teams were.

Matt-Murray-Senators-1200x800.jpg

Although their young roster brings with it a crushing level of inexperience, Stepan thinks that the Senators’ youth will be an advantage as the grueling 2020-21 NHL schedule is played through.
“We’ve got a younger group, but I like the way we’ve been competing,” Stepan said. “I think it’s an advantage for us as the season wears on. We’ve got young legs and guys that are ready to play each night.”

Reactions: Adrianopolous

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The poor start, which is primarily at the veterans' expense, could be a huge blessing in disguise as it builds character among the young guys, and nets us a high draft pick to cement our defense for foreseeable future or get us a game-breaking scoring winger.

Now the young guys are clicking, they're playing great, and strong character and tight knit group being formed.

DJ Smith and Dorion were playing 3D chess.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
We're still really bad.

But the bright spots are the right spots.
The worst case scenario for this year was that we win too much on success by the non-core vets, while our youth core disappoints. Basically the opposite of that has happened, so I'm happy.

Pros:
Tim is a star.
Bath, norris and paul all look good.
We're on pace for another lottery pick.
White is turning things around.
Brady looks pretty good.

Cons:
goaltending is really bad.
we're not going to be able to flip those vets for much at the deadline.
Chabby has been just okay.

With the additional internal talent we have coming up, I can't see us being bad for too much longer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The poor start, which is primarily at the veterans expense, could be a huge blessing in disguise as it builds character among the young guys, and nets us a high draft pick to cement our defense for foreseeable future or get us a game-breaking scoring winger.

Now the young guys are clicking, they're playing great, and strong character and tight knit group being formed.

DJ Smith and Dorion were playing 3D chess.

tenor.gif

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Definitely not as bad as our record. Think we could be something like 7-10 instead of 4-12-1, not amazing, but don't think we're the worst team in the league by a wide margin, probably in the bottom 5, but probably could beat a few teams in a 7 game playoff series

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What's with all the 'dogshit' on this board now? One guy figures out it slips past the censors and now we're all back in 5th grade?
The swear filter was adjusted quite a while ago to be less restrictive, don't think any poop related words get filered anymore...

This is a test: Crap, shit, bullshit, dogshit, poop, fecal matter, excrement

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Still think we are a bottom 5 team this year and likely close next year, but there are signs of hope. We will have another high pick from this year and likely another top 10 pick from next year and we should be a spooky team heading into the 2022-23 season.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The swear filter was adjusted quite a while ago to be less restrictive, don't think any poop related words get filered anymore...

This is a test: Crap, shit, bullshit, dogshit, poop, fecal matter, excrement

don’t forget Poo-Jean -that one slips by the grade 1 level filters...

Reactions: cudi

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
PP 12.5% (25th)
PK 73.5% (25th)

Even good teams can't survive that. That's a coaching problem imo. The PK is partly a roster issue. Lot of red flags with the coaching staff.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would say they are better than their record indicates, but I don't think this roster as currently constructed has a much higher ceiling than last place in this division and I expect a lottery pick even if performing to reasonable expectations.

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We might have more wins if we got to play against other terrible teams but I still think we are a bottom 3 team.

Riding high after last night but let's not forget that Toronto had the better scoring chances on that 4 minute PP. God that was pathetic.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think since the win against MTL (inclusive) the goaltending has been pretty good, certainly nothing to complain about. We had that one stinker against winnipeg where murray got hut but overall pretty solid.
It's gotten better, for sure, but I need a longer sample. Mentally I'm setting a high bar for the core pieces like Murray. I don't care about our roster fillers, but Murray I want to see earning that contract.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I think if this was a normal year and they played the whole league instead of the North Division, which is pretty good, the Sens may have a couple of extra wins.

The Sens aren't really much better than there record.

-They lack scoring.
-The defence is still really bad.
-The goaltending has been spotty. Murray was on the upswing before getting hurt but the goaltending is a question mark.

The Sens work hard and they have young players with lots of potential. Right now though, they are very much a bottom 5 struggle team.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
No we are not really bad, every analytics stats says we should be .500 team, the one area where we need to improve is PDO (SH% + SV%) we are dead last with 0.948.

We are also playing really bad teams, or at least really bad defensive teams and still only have 3 wins. We are really really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad