From Messier to Kucherov: Best playoff performer of the 4?

Who is the best postseason player of these four?

• Mark Messier

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Sergei Fedorov

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Vincent Lecavalier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikita Kucherov

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
I think Pronger would have been a better choice than Lecavalier. I would rank them 1: Messier. 2: Kucherov. 3: Fedorov. 4: Lecavalier.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think Pronger would have been a better choice than Lecavalier. I would rank them 1: Messier. 2: Kucherov. 3: Fedorov. 4: Lecavalier.
Yes., agree

Messier is #1 here, for now, but I suppose Kucherov could overtake him based on his last two incredible playoffs.

P.S. Lecavalier wasn't even that great in the playoffs, was he?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I went with 4 forwards. So Pronger couldn't be included

PS. Lecavalier was rather good in the playoffs.

For the 2000s — and I get it’s kind of tough as most of the greatest playoff forwards either had great runs in the 90s or the 2010s which makes it tricky qualifying them as more of a “2000s guy” — I’m thinking guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Briere, Zetterberg, Drury, Elias, Malkin and Crosby, before Lecavalier. St Louis and Richards ahead of Lecavalier, actually quite likely.

Reactions: Macheteops

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
For the 2000s — and I get it’s kind of tough as most of the greatest playoff forwards either had great runs in the 90s or the 2010s which makes it tricky qualifying them as more of a “2000s guy” — I’m thinking guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Briere, Zetterberg, Drury, Elias, Malkin and Crosby, before Lecavalier. St Louis and Richards ahead of Lecavalier, actually quite likely.
Yes, absolutely!

However, Lecavalier just represents a decade. I didn't pick him the best playoff forward of the 2000s.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes., agree

Messier is #1 here, for now, but I suppose Kucherov could overtake him based on his last two incredible playoffs.

I mean, he was okay and all. Was pretty good in the Cup run, but that postseason you easily have Richards and St. Louis over him, and even Modin had a great run, not to forget Khabibulin in net as well. 2011 was the only other time he had a nice run, and they reached the semis. 56 points in 75 playoff games, yeah, he for sure is that "Which one is not like the other" guy on here.

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
I mean, he was okay and all. Was pretty good in the Cup run, but that postseason you easily have Richards and St. Louis over him, and even Modin had a great run, not to forget Khabibulin in net as well. 2011 was the only other time he had a nice run, and they reached the semis. 56 points in 75 playoff games, yeah, he for sure is that "Which one is not like the other" guy on here.
No wonder Lecavalier has zero votes so far

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Excellent. You're welcome to give Vincent the 1st vote

Messier is in a different stratosphere than any of the other 3. It's obviously him.

Kucherov looks great lately - but is still nowhere close to Messier all time for playoffs. Can he get there hypothetically? I suppose - but extremely unlikely.

This isn't exactly a difficult poll.

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
Messier is in a different stratosphere than any of the other 3. It's obviously him.

Kucherov looks great lately - but is still nowhere close to Messier all time for playoffs. Can he get there hypothetically? I suppose - but extremely unlikely.

This isn't exactly a difficult poll.
I didn't vote but prime Fedorov would be a slightly more dominant playoff force than Messier has ever been.

So Messier and Fedorov are kind of equal in my books.

Kucherov is far from his retirement. That makes it difficult to judge if he'd continue his 30+ pts performances in future.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I didn't vote but prime Fedorov would be a slightly more dominant playoff force than Messier has ever been.

Kucherov is far from his retirement. That makes it difficult to judge if he'd continue his 30+ pts performances in future.
You have to be trolling. There's no other way you can actually believe fed was a better playoff player than messier. It's down right laughable

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Messier is the obvious choice. Lecavalier has no Conn Smythe awards and was 79th in point scoring from 2000 to 2010, so probably not him...

Interestingly, the top playoff scorer and three of the top five from 2000 to 2010 were defensemen (Lidstrom, Pronger, Rafalski). None of the top 6 were defensemen in any of the other decades.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I remember a pool around 95 to 97, who to you pick for a playoff run Jagr, Lindros or Messier, that would have been pass 33 year's old season Messier versus 2 of the best athlete in history fully in their prime and the question was not laugh at by the commentators of the tv show talking about it, that how high that guys was for that long.

Kucherov obviously did put himself to be in that conversation one day, but otherwise 295 playoff points, 6x stanley cup Messier seem a safe choice.

That an 11-12 year's windows for when you go to the playoff and if Gretzky-Lemieux are not available/healthy who do you pick that is name would have come up with Bourque/Roy and few others.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Fedorov is great, but he is more on the level of Yzerman in the playoffs. Which is still great. Messier just did what Fedorov did, but more often. Has more Smythe worthy runs too.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yes., agree

He was fine? Probably our best player in the '11 run, but was at best 4th maybe? in the 04 run.

Odd pick because he doesn't have a ton of long runs anyway so there just isn't a ton of meat to his resume.

His assist on the Cup winning goal in 04 is still one of my favorite Lightning highlights ever though.

Starts at 40 seconds:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1