HF Habs: From Mediocrity to Being Less Mediocre - The Rebuild Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Last thread hit 1,000+

As of this writing, our lottery odds are at 6.5%. We are 10 points back from #3 in the division as well as 10 back from the last wild card spot.

Mathematically, we’re still in it, though our margin is getting thinner with every loss as well as every win by the teams we are chasing.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Last thread hit 1,000+

As of this writing, our lottery odds are at 6.5%. We are 10 points back from #3 in the division as well as 10 back from the last wild card spot.

Mathematically, we’re still in it, though our margin is getting thinner with every loss as well as every win by the teams we are chasing.
Good old no mans land, gotta love it.

Management has some big decisions to make here, either shit or get off the pot already

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
U25

Forwards: Suzuki, Kotka, Caufield, Drouin, Domi, Poehling

Defenseman: Romanov, Fleury

Goalie: Primeau

Our future defensive core is lacking. I like Struble/Harris/Norlinder but I’m not sure how good they’ll become.

Romanov is our best bet to become a top d-man. Fleury will be a solid #4 for the next decade.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
U25

Our future defensive core is lacking. I like Struble/Harris/Norlinder but I’m not sure how good they’ll become.

Romanov is our best bet to become a top d-man. Fleury will be a solid #4 for the next decade.

Don't forget Brook, Mete, and Juulsen.

But I agree, we should draft D with our 1st and 2nd round picks. In general I'm not in favor of drafting for need. But Timmins is so much better at drafting D than forwards that I hope all our 1st and 2nd round picks are used on Dmen.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Don't forget Brook, Mete, and Juulsen.

But I agree, we should draft D with our 1st and 2nd round picks. In general I'm not in favor of drafting for need. But Timmins is so much better at drafting D than forwards that I hope all our 1st and 2nd round picks are used on Dmen.

Depends on where we draft. If we can land Drysdale, sure, but this draft is pretty much stacked with forwards.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Depends on where we draft. If we can land Drysdale, sure, but this draft is pretty much stacked with forwards.

We're #7 seed now, in lottery order.

Honestly, my head says the lottery is more important.

But given hiw hard the team is trying, I'm looking forward to seeing what Gallagher and Drouin will do in a lineup with Kovalchuk in it. They will most probably hurt our draft position. I know it's bad. But I want to see what they can do. If they can't do squat, that will tell Geoff volumes about MB.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I’ve resigned myself to mediocrity, Bergevin isn’t getting fired (injuries obviously), Molson will keep on dabbling not knowing what he’s doing but saving/making money and the fans get shafted (but with better hotdogs obviously) and we’ll be here squabbling as to whether Bergevin /Julien should be fired. Supporting the Habs is a black hole for a few years

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
pre lottery it's going to be very tough to get into that top 5 of the draft as those spots look more or less locked down. The Habs are currently at 8th OA, with 9th and 10th OA also having 51 pts but sabers (9th) have a game in hand and nashville has 3 games in hand. the Wild currently sit at 11th OA just 1 pt ahead of us but with a game in hand. NYR sit at 7th OA just 1 pt behind us but with 3 games in hand. SJ at 6th OA but 3 pts back of us.

So clearly 7th to 13 are tightly packed for now as the teams have between 50 and 54 pts but we have played the most games along with hawks and jets (12th OA and 13th)

With 31 games left and Gallagher/Drouin close to returning, I fear this team will move up several spots instead of moving down and getting a better draft pick. I just don't see us doing much at the deadline but as long as they don't win too much hopefully MB won't be adding anything at least.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
pre lottery it's going to be very tough to get into that top 5 of the draft as those spots look more or less locked down. The Habs are currently at 8th OA, with 9th and 10th OA also having 51 pts but Sabres (9th) have a game in hand and nashville has 3 games in hand. the Wild currently sit at 11th OA just 1 pt ahead of us but with a game in hand. NYR sit at 7th OA just 1 pt behind us but with 3 games in hand. SJ at 6th OA but 3 pts back of us.

So clearly 7th to 13 are tightly packed for now as the teams have between 50 and 54 pts but we have played the most games along with hawks and jets (12th OA and 13th)

With 31 games left and Gallagher/Drouin close to returning, I fear this team will move up several spots instead of moving down and getting a better draft pick. I just don't see us doing much at the deadline but as long as they don't win too much hopefully MB won't be adding anything at least.

Are you really concerned about Bergevin adding at the deadline? There's a point where these worries become more stupid than realistic.

I think it's clear that players will be gone, probably not the whole veteran cohort but one of Tatar, Domi, Petry could go and probably Kovy and Thompson.

Would be nice to get a good pick for this draft rather than the next though.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
pre lottery it's going to be very tough to get into that top 5 of the draft as those spots look more or less locked down. The Habs are currently at 8th OA, with 9th and 10th OA also having 51 pts but Sabres (9th) have a game in hand and nashville has 3 games in hand. the Wild currently sit at 11th OA just 1 pt ahead of us but with a game in hand. NYR sit at 7th OA just 1 pt behind us but with 3 games in hand. SJ at 6th OA but 3 pts back of us.

I don't. They've already wasted one of the 15 games that should push them to decide what to do at TDL.

I predict they'll lose both after noon games, reducing our magic number drastically, by the time TDL will come around, our magic number will be close to 20-23 with 17 games left to play. If that's case, they have to throw the season away.

At that point, if we were to win all 17 remaining games, those teams only need to hit 20-23 pts in their last 15-17 games and no matter if we win sll our games, we won't make it.

Then if he does sell some pieces, we might get between 5th and 10th pick.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
U25

It's truly sad that after missing the POs 3/4 years...that's all we have to show for it...
This core won't go anywhere.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Are you really concerned about Bergevin adding at the deadline? There's a point where these worries become more stupid than realistic.

I think it's clear that players will be gone, probably not the whole veteran cohort but one of Tatar, Domi, Petry could go and probably Kovy and Thompson.

Stupid people induce stupid preoccupations, and MB is all kinds of stupid.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes I am worried as I would rather keep the draft picks then see him add another Weal, Thompson, Martinsen, King, etc...

I don't see him trading Petry at all, Domi maybe at the draft if it's in a package to get 1st OA somehow. Tatar I could see it if the price is right but I think he very much will be looking to keep this roster together to try and make the playoffs next year since injuries will be his excuse this time around.

I don't. They've already wasted one of the 15 games that should push them to decide what to do at TDL.

I predict they'll lose both after noon games, reducing our magic number drastically, by the time TDL will come around, our magic number will be close to 20-23 with 17 games left to play. If that's case, they have to throw the season away.

At that point, if we were to win all 17 remaining games, those teams only need to hit 20-23 pts in their last 15-17 games and no matter if we win sll our games, we won't make it.

Then if he does sell some pieces, we might get between 5th and 10th pick.

5th OA will be very tough especially if Gallagher and Drouin are back, I would assume they win around 14-15 games or so the rest of the season.

I had us picking 9th to 12th since the summer, so I still think we end up around there as it's so tight between 7 and 13 but at this point with so many games left it's hard to say. I would be shocked if MB sold much at all in the way of key guys. Thompson, Kovalchuk sure, Tatar maybe but he hasn't really shown to be smart enough to sell assets at their peak. Maybe Shaw so I guess there's hope plus I could see him wanting to open a spot for Caufield so we can rush another top prospect since it's worked out so well under MB that why stop now.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This is Brook’s rookie year in the pros, so honestly, I am not too concerned. I didn’t expect him to be an impact player right away and considered him a bit of a work in progress. Next year should give us a better indication if he’s going to be able to make the jump to the pros.

Not too hopeful of landing a top-5 pick, let alone #1. I honestly expect the worst possible scenario which is for us to finish between 10th to 15th, though more likely in the 10-12 range.

I also do not expect to get any additional first round picks.

Sigh....

Reactions: Doc McKenna

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's truly sad that after missing the POs 3/4 years...that's all we have to show for it...
This core won't go anywhere.

The cupboards are full, you don't understand what you're looking at. Amazing prospects that have shown us they can be the best... playing against kids their own age. We should take this to the bank because the habs track record for developing players is on par with the best franchises... Right? Kill me now before I have to listen to another post mortem press conference from this buffoon of a GM. Talking about being right on track with his plan...

SELL SELL SELL. Let's get this rebuild started with a clean slate.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
wow, so i guess it's time to fire MB,CJ,JM, Timmons and his gang of dart throwers. Then Move the team to a state with NO TAXES AT ALL in order to attract all NHL players, lets not forget the palm trees for the wife also. This would solve all problems RIGHT!!!!!!!!! So the fans fire all the habs and the habs fire all the fans. :sarcasm:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
neither do i,

seeing as MB has never acquired one in his lifetime

the man just sits on the fence,

he won't trade vets for draft picks to help the team in the future,

he won't trade picks and prospects to help the team win now,

he is paddling a boat in a circle
Only for 8 years, he needs some more time....in Montreal, it's not results based anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad