Fringe Players to Watch in Training Camp

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Everyone by now probably knows that I'm a huge fan of attending training camp. I tend to pay more attention to the scrimmages than practices because anyone can look good in a controlled practice setting (See: Zanon, Greg, 2013 TC). I will absolutely be attending both days of training camp again this year, as well as the B+W game and first pre-season game and will give my thoughts after again. We've already got the individual threads on the main guys on the team, but I wanted to focus on the fringe guys that I'll definitely be focusing on come late next week. Depth in this organization is still an issue, IMO, so strong performances from these guys further down the depth chart can only help this team improve.

The guy I might be focusing on most...

Mike Sgarbossa - I think anyone who attended TC last year would agree he was easily the biggest disappointment. Coming off a promising rookie year as a pro, he looked out of shape and didn't display any of the skill that had made him look like such a strong prospect after his year in Lake Erie. He didn't even make it into a pre-season game, which shows how poorly he played in camp. Maybe TC doesn't mean much in the long run, but Sgarbossa followed up his rough training camp with a forgettable year in Lake Erie. A bounce back year for Sgarbossa would be huge for the organization, because he's clearly very talented and this team needs all the depth it can get up front. He's become the forgotten man around here after his down year.

Duncan Siemens - It seems like the Avs are fine with developing Siemens slowly, but it was still surprising that a former 11th overall pick was one of the first cuts out of training camp. I don't think he had a bad camp last year, but he didn't standout. That being said, I think this is a huge year for Siemens and he has to show the organization something. 3 of the 4 LD on the Avs roster do not have contracts beyond this coming season, and all of those LD are defensive guys, much like Siemens. There is going to be a spot for him next season if he earns it, but he's got to start showing a bit more. Some of these young, cheap players stepping into the NHL soon are going to be huge given the big contracts the Avs are going to have to hand out to the main guys.

Joey Hishon - If only because the poor ******* hasn't been able to participate in a training camp since turning pro. You can't make an impression with the NHL staff if you can't get on the ice.

Mitch Heard - I thought he was a pleasant surprise last year. Granted, he was centering Landeskog and Tanguay all camp, so you can't really look bad, but he showed off more skill than I thought he had (and awesome hair). He hasn't been able to show much in the AHL, but he was a relatively high draft pick only two years ago, so he's going to need to start showing more. With McLeod on the last year of his deal, an agitator role could open up next year.

Pickard/Aittokallio/Will - I anticipate all three of them being in training camp, but I don't anticipate all three of them being in the organization much further beyond that. One of these goalies has to step up, because Berra still is going to scare a lot of people.

Stefan Elliott - I think this one is a little more obvious. It may be his last chance. He got beat out by two career journeymen last year, and now he's got to win a spot amongst the massive amounts of bottom pairing/fringe guys looking to stick on the big team. It's the same issues as since he's turned pro: Everyone knows what he can do offensively, but he's still so soft and weak defensively. I have to imagine other NHL teams will be watching closely as well, given his waiver status.

Obviously there are a lot of other younger guys to look out for, but I think these are the most important ones in the organization, at least at this moment. I'm excited for this season to get started.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Are you going to use that twitter account again? That was a good way to get live updates last year. Both you and Dario did a good job with that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is a good idea. I'd like to hear about who you guys want to hear about and what you look for. I went to camp last year and it really was awesome experience but also overwhelming to watch so many guys at once and it happens so fast. Do you tend to hone in on certain players or watch more as a whole and see who stands out?

I'm planning on going to all of rookie camp and main camp. My focus is probably going to be more on the new guys, our recent draft picks and new signees. Bleackley especially I'm excited to see in action, Rendulic and Everberg since I'm not sure what to expect from either of them, Corbett and Henley since I've actually seen them play before and to see how that translates live, also what guys such as Noreau and Redmond bring to the table. I'm really interested in seeing how Siemens, Wood and Geertsen compare as similar huge shutdown type of D, I hope one of them stands out.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Hopefully you guys will remember that some of us do not use Twitter. As in the past years I would greatly appreciate any info you can give us.

The guys I would like to hear most about are Redmond, Wood, Geertsen, Magyar and Henley. Thanks.

P.S. Forgot Gus Young...oh wait...they made the mistake of letting him walk.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Are you going to use that twitter account again? That was a good way to get live updates last year. Both you and Dario did a good job with that.
Yeah, I'll probably do that again. Just easier than individual posts on this board.

Hopefully you guys will remember that some of us do not use Twitter. As in the past years I would greatly appreciate any info you can give us.
You'll get plenty of recaps on here from people attending, for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Bigras could be included. Not the fact that he is really much of a fringe player, but can he replicate last year's camp success?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

The guys I would like to hear most about are Redmond, Wood, Geertsen, Magyar and Henley. Thanks.

P.S. Forgot Gus Young...oh wait...they made the mistake of letting him walk.

Is there any real reason why you wouldn't be able to use twitter for a month solely for this purpose? It's not like there's some obligation to use it afterward

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Is there any real reason why you wouldn't be able to use twitter for a month solely for this purpose? It's not like there's some obligation to use it afterward
My phone rules my life enough as it is. I just have no interest in adding things like twitter, facebook, etc.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Goalies- we are going to have a great battle between Will, Sami and Pickard.

Bourke- hoping to see some top notch skating. At his size I'm not sure he really has a chance at the nhl otherwise.

Everberg/Rendulic- such unknowns.

sgarbossa- have never seen him play. Curious what all the hype is about regarding his ceiling

Bleackley- curious to see the RoR comparisons, including being immediately ready for the big stage

Vincour- good enough to challenge McLeod?

Bigras- can he make the team

Geertsen/Wood/Siemens- who has the edge, we have to have one of them come in next year

Elliott- is he still afraid of playing defense and being though?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I could but I'm just not interested. Too much personal info on those type of accounts. If there would be a way to filter hockey news now that would be great :)

Like TV said...it is just not for me.

You can by just following certain hockey writers and official accounts. But that info can also be found here.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I cannot do Wednesday practice now I'm bummed.... Maybe I could catch the end! Lol
Yes I'm that starved for hockey.
From the above lists, my guys to watch are Eliot, Bleakley, Bigras. I've got some expectations draft choices can play hickey !

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Actually in the process of writing an article on this exact subject, so please don't get upset if/when you see it Mars! There is some overlap. Either way, since I can't attend training camp I'm counting on people like you to stay in the loop. Really wish I lived in Denver, I find that training camp can tell loads about a player's upcoming season.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Actually in the process of writing an article on this exact subject, so please don't get upset if/when you see it Mars! There is some overlap. Either way, since I can't attend training camp I'm counting on people like you to stay in the loop. Really wish I lived in Denver, I find that training camp can tell loads about a player's upcoming season.

Eh, I remember everyone raving about how awesome Zanon looked in training camp.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Eh, I remember everyone raving about how awesome Zanon looked in training camp.
Like I mentioned in the OP, that was during practices. He was here the lockout year, when TC was jammed in real quick after the CBA was ironed out. They didn't have any Junior guys and only 4-5 AHL guys at the main camp, so they couldn't do any real scrimmaging or game situations due to lack of time and players. The scrimmages are what I mainly pay attention too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Raving about Zanon? Come on now, a lot of people were saying how "surprisingly" solid he was in those practices (not even games). He had no expectations and was pretty decent to at least get some feedback from the fans. In no way was he breathtaking like Landeskog or Duchene were during training camp (I actually think Landeskog had one of the best camps I've seen for a first time player). Only player I remember that was getting some hype (granted from me as well) was Hunwick, he actually looked good at the last two camps just to go into rotting 2x4 mode by seasons start.

I will try to be at the main camp and I think all of you know who I will be cheering for (Black, 6'5", handsome). But jokes aside, I am also very interested in seeing all our 2014 picks and one other name in particular, Mitchell Heard. Going to be a very interesting camp for him...

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Mostly just giving you crap, but really, can't accurately start to evaluate how a player's season is going to go until they actually start to play the game.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I could but I'm just not interested. Too much personal info on those type of accounts. If there would be a way to filter hockey news now that would be great :)

Like TV said...it is just not for me.

Thats literally what following people is. Say you pick 10 people from the board/a couple players to follow. Thats the only tweets you see. As for your information, sign up with bull**** information.

Little of what you're saying about it makes sense. Basically it's "I can't not get addicted to it" and "I don't really know how it works so I make assumptions"

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Thats literally what following people is. Say you pick 10 people from the board/a couple players to follow. Thats the only tweets you see. As for your information, sign up with bull**** information.

Little of what you're saying about it makes sense. Basically it's "I can't not get addicted to it" and "I don't really know how it works so I make assumptions"
Twitts are referenced often enough here and on other social media for me to be able to figure out how it works. And I have lots of friends that have it. I do know how it works.

I was more talking about the info you see regarding each individual you follow. Let's say I do what you recommend and follow 10 people from this board and a couple of players. The info I will see from each of these guys will not be only hockey related. It will be any other stuff they talk about/receive/send to other people. That's the part that is not for me. A lot would be useless info that I have no interest in seeing. Not interested in knowing what they are currently having for diner. :)

It seems like I struck a nerve with you saying I don't like Twitter. Do you have shares in it or something? :sarcasm:;)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If they @ reply someone you don't follow then you don't see that tweet.

Like I said before, it's not for everyone. I know people who have tried to get into it and just can't. It's something you really can't do halfway. If you set it up and check occasionally or follow like 5 people it's not really useful. So I get that for sure.

From my experience though that not using twitter would be a big detriment to how I like to get information and follow people I'm interested in. I like getting some of the players personality and some are hilarious. It's fun to hear from the young guys getting their first taste of everything too. Twitter is the only way I get news and I'm following to get information on hockey, NFL, music, entertainment and locally. I also have a lot of online friends I talk to. I hate Facebook, I wouldn't use it if my whole family wasn't on there. I'm sure there are a lot of things out there I'm not using though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad