News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts - On Edler waiving NTC, Pettersson being considered for 1st overall in 2017

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
31 Thoughts: NHL embracing new era of fun, personality - Sportsnet.ca

To summarize:

Alex Edler - getting tons of ice time and shinning. He has made it clear he doesnt want to get traded. Tampa has shown major interest in him before. Will Edler allow a trade in exchange for a new contract come July. Friedman expressed there will be lots of team wanting him even as a rental.

Elias Petterson- a team, not the Canucks, had EP as 1st overall on their draftboard. Rangers?
An executive also told Friedman that if EP had decided to come to North America on his draft year then he would have gone 1st overall above Hischier. A different Executive disagreed stating that EP was too slight and thin but had no doubt that EP was the most talented.

Derek Dorsett- the Sedins gave DD the game puck from their final game in Edmonton. DD is grateful and comments on the class the Sedins have always had. He treasures the puck and will always remeber the gesture forever.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think for now we should keep Edler until he retires, we need defence man and he is our best. Him and Tanev can stabilize the back end while Hughes and Juolevi break into the league.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
It is unlikely that Edler would be on a contending Canucks team again. Does he bring more value helping Hughes/Juolevi/Woo than he does in picks at the trade deadline? Hard to say....

We need more picks for a draft held in Vancouver, and who would complain if they came in an Edler trade? Not me...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would absolutely look to trade Edler if we can get him to waive. Especially if he's willing to sign an extension with a team prior to the trade deadline he could bring back a very nice haul of a 1st round pick + prospect.

Looking at Tampa, for example, if we could get a 1 with someone like Raddysh, Katchouk, Foote, Cirelli, or Joseph, I'd pack Edler's bags for him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Edler is our most valuable vet trade chip.

Play it.

Or the scenario I like:
Sign him long term... Let him retire on the third pairing behind Hughes and Juolevi on the left side.

Hughes - Tryamkin
Juolevi - UFA
Edler - Tanev

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pull a Keith Tkachuk with Edler, that’s the only way he’ll agree to leave.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm not gonna lose sleep over getting nothing for Edler but can we please not kick out another proud longtime still-contributing Canuck like we did with Hamhuis.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I would absolutely look to trade Edler if we can get him to waive. Especially if he's willing to sign an extension with a team prior to the trade deadline he could bring back a very nice haul of a 1st round pick + prospect.

Looking at Tampa, for example, if we could get a 1 with someone like Raddysh, Katchouk, Foote, Cirelli, or Joseph, I'd pack Edler's bags for him.

Edler is soo rooted in this community and has a young family, he has made it very clear he doesnt want to leave Vancouver.

IMO the only way we would get Edler to waive his NMC at the deadline is if we do a wink wink deal and gurantee him that were gonna offer him a contract on July 1.

I see 0 chance of Edler agreeing to a trade and extension deal somewhere else.

If were not going to re sign him then hea gonna walk to a team of his choosing on July 1...not to a team that wants to trade w us.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I doubt Edler wants to leave Vancouver but maybe he would be interested in playing for a cup contender for a couple months as a pure rental with a promise of a new contract here on July 1st,That would be the best case scenario,whether Edler is interested or not is debatable but management should approach him and put it out there.

Edit:looks like that’s a popular idea around here.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Larry Brooks already confirmed in the NYpost that the rangers tried to do everything possible to get in front of vancouver.
I believe he said Colorado was the team
7 pick, 21 pick and some young player (he didn't mention who)
He tweeted right after the stephan trade that this was just the first step, and they are trying to get higher.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yes. I am even ok with convincing Edler to go to another team for the playoffs then come back on a 2-3 year contract which is what I can see happening anyways.

Reactions: THE Green Man

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Hopefully we can trade Edler for a 1st at the TDL and then re-sign him in the summer. Also if anyone is offering any pick for Hutton (doubtful), MDZ (laughable), Pouliot (pigs will fly) you take it. Open up some roster spots for Juolevi to get a taste of real NHL action and for Hughes to come in after the NCAA season. Tanev we almost need and at the very least we can wait until next years TDL to move him unless a blow away offer presents itself. Ideally next year without JB making dumb trades or spending ANY money on July 1st other than Edler:

Edler-Tryamkin
Tanev-Hughes
Juolevi-Stecher/Gudbrandson (unfortunately he'll still be here)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It is unlikely that Edler would be on a contending Canucks team again. Does he bring more value helping Hughes/Juolevi/Woo than he does in picks at the trade deadline? Hard to say....

We need more picks for a draft held in Vancouver, and who would complain if they came in an Edler trade? Not me...
If edler is gone, you have tanev to play with one of those kids. Who plays with the other guy? Only the right side guys have contracts for next season. Are we putting stech or EG with one of them? Yikes....

That’s the delimna when the other options besides edler and tanev can’t be relied on to break in a youngster.

As for TB, remember the pick they owe the Rangers is conditional should they get to the finals I believe. So that pick, if it is a first would also be conditional depending on whether they owe it to NY or not.

But the Canucks can’t afford another hamhuis situation. IMO it should have been decided what they do. Should have had the talk with Edler already so that they know where he stands. As for a new dea, hopefully it follows the Nick Hjamlarson dea in term of 2 years. Edler is 33 in 2019, so ideally 2 years is good.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Edler is soo rooted in this community and has a young family, he has made it very clear he doesnt want to leave Vancouver.

IMO the only way we would get Edler to waive his NMC at the deadline is if we do a wink wink deal and gurantee him that were gonna offer him a contract on July 1.

I see 0 chance of Edler agreeing to a trade and extension deal somewhere else.

If were not going to re sign him then hea gonna walk to a team of his choosing on July 1...not to a team that wants to trade w us.

This makes no sense.

What you're saying is...

a) Edler is rooted in Vancouver
b) He wouldn't accept a trade and extension deal somewhere else
c) He might accept a trade somewhere else, uprooting his life for a few months, if the Canucks promised to offer him a contract July 1
d) If the Canucks don't offer him a contract July 1 he'll sign elsewhere, but wouldn't accept a trade elsewhere otherwise.

Uhh...if he's willing to sign elsewhere if the Canucks make it clear they won't re-sign him, why wouldn't he just accept a trade to another team at the deadline? Obviously it's going to be a team that he wants to play for, otherwise he wouldn't just waive his NTC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Larry Brooks already confirmed in the NYpost that the rangers tried to do everything possible to get in front of vancouver.
I believe he said Colorado was the team
7 pick, 21 pick and some young player (he didn't mention who)
He tweeted right after the stephan trade that this was just the first step, and they are trying to get higher.
I recall some Canuck fans saying that they could have dropped down to Buffalo at #8 and still get him.

Honestly, if any team passes on a player because of him not wanting to play in the NHL following the draft they are foolish. 1 season at 18 doesn’t override a decade or more from 19-33 of whenever the player falls off. If EP was going to be the BEst player from the draft you take him. Anyone who passed on Barzal cause he did 2 extra years in the W would be foolish.

For Colorado, remember if they don’t take Makar at 4, likely Vancouver would take him at #5 if the rangers traded up. So likely the Avs coveted him enough to say no, neither alias Anderson or mittlestadt, or the C the kings got plus the other assets would make up for passing on a puck moving RHD.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Uhh...if he's willing to sign elsewhere if the Canucks make it clear they won't re-sign him, why wouldn't he just accept a trade to another team at the deadline? Obviously it's going to be a team that he wants to play for, otherwise he wouldn't just waive his NTC.

This seems like a good strategy for management if they get a very good offer for him. They can tell him we won't sign you anyways, so might as well take this opportunity to go on a playoff run. I think its reasonable that if the choice is a good long-term piece or re-signing Edler to a team friendly deal, that management should take that long-term piece.

If its getting a 2nd round pick or equivalent piece, or something relatively inconsequential to the rebuild, I think I would rather just re-sign Edler for a team friendly deal (assuming that exists).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't know what the behind the scene situation is with edler, but forcing hamhuis to agree to waive when he had taken a hometown discount and did not want to go was a huge mistake for this team. it burned a bridge we should have kept. if you factor in the fact we replaced him with gudbranson and all the lost mentoring hamhuis could have offered to our young d corps while saddling them with gudbranson, it is by far the worst decision benning has made.

i am all for having conversations with edler and even trying to get him to see the light. but if he says no, then it's no. we have enough issues without that drama. he's a loyal lifelong canuck and if he wants to remain a canuck then we go with that.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018

Agreed, although with Forrest benning at the helm we’ll prob get a third rounder, a plug, and some future considerations. And benning will say something like the plug is a good leader in the dressing room blah blah.. I’m a pretty positive guy, but I just expect the worst outcome with this delusional management making deals with other teams.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The decision aso needs to factor in who do they trust to help bring Juolevi and Hughes along next year. Tanev is one but who’s the other? I don’t think anyone here trust gudbranson.

If we recall the offer for hamhuis from dallas was what like a 2nd or 3rd and a prospect? It’s been 2 years has that prospect that Dallas sent Calgary in the NHL?

If that’s the best edler can return better to keep him and put him with Hughes who can slide to the right. Putting Juolevi with the defensive minded Tanev May give him the incentive to push the puck up since Tanev will have his back.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i don't know what the behind the scene situation is with edler, but forcing hamhuis to agree to waive when he had taken a hometown discount and did not want to go was a huge mistake for this team. it burned a bridge we should have kept. if you factor in the fact we replaced him with gudbranson and all the lost mentoring hamhuis could have offered to our young d corps while saddling them with gudbranson, it is by far the worst decision benning has made.

i am all for having conversations with edler and even trying to get him to see the light. but if he says no, then it's no. we have enough issues without that drama. he's a loyal lifelong canuck and if he wants to remain a canuck then we go with that.

The mistake on Hamhuis was not asking him to waive. It was asking him to waive right before the deadline instead of weeks before. It was not keeping him in the loop...and really that was because Benning was playing the “if we win all our games in hand game” which is stupid. Had they worked with him early the bridge doesn’t get burned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad