News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts - On Edler waiving NTC, Pettersson being considered for 1st overall in 2017

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I think for now we should keep Edler until he retires, we need defence man and he is our best. Him and Tanev can stabilize the back end while Hughes and Juolevi break into the league.

I'm not an Edler fan and have been thinking they should deal both him and Tanev but I can't see any reason to keep any of the other defensemen currently on the NHL roster as Hughes and Juolevi transition. They really need Tryamkin back and for Woo to develop on the right side though.

The comments regarding Pettersson and 1st overall isn't surprising from what we've seen so far. I think it's like the Canucks won the lottery there and it will be exciting to see as to what extent. Is he Eichel or Matthews caliber?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If aqua man is that bad it’s not surprising the team is where it is.

exactly. we know aqua man prevented gillis from rebuilding and he pretty evidently opposed the current management rebuilding until the tdl burrows/hansen trades and even then seems to have been half hearted until suddenly this summer when he learned how to twitter and turned into the most rebuilding rebuilder of all time. we also know he has also interfered with trades at the mid range level of the hamhuis deal so as to kill a deal. those are signs of a highly interventionist owner.

and that's without getting into who decided we needed torts and how the schneider/luongo/kesler fiascos got handled which to me are, shall we say, suspicious.

given the lack of progress in addressing obvious issues through two completely different management groups from 2012 until today i infer aquaman carries a metric fecal ton of the blame for spinning our wheels for that long.

linden or benning may or may not be complicit in some or all of what happened. for example, gudbranson is surely a management level gaffe, while i am not sure whether erikkson was foisted upon them.

but aquaman has nowhere to hide on all of this. he has without a doubt set the stubborn futile direction of this team since 2012.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the team owes it to Edler to treat him with respect. He’s been s key player here for years and is probably under appreciated by a lot of the fanbase.
If they’re thinking of asking him to waive then have a discussion well before the trade deadline as to whether he’d be willing to waive and to who he’d be willing to go. If he says no then respect his decision. But none of this last minute stuff like we saw with Hamhuis. Edler has been nothing but a class act.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I won't begrudge Edler if he remains unwilling to waive but if he is there is no reason not to trade him.
Right now he's playing 27 minutes a night because apparently Green doesn't have any confidence in any of the other d-men playing the left side. So I wouldn't worry too much about whether he's willing to waive his NTC.

At this rate he's virtually certain to be felled by injury long before the trade deadline.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Pretty good scenario when the media pundits are throwing around names like Sakic and Datsyuk as comparables after 3 games.
In all honestly, the guy we actually selected with the higher pick didn't turn that bad a player either. Due to the cost cutting ownership at the time we couldn't keep him (as well as leading to other unfortunate events....).

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
If we recall the offer for hamhuis from dallas was what like a 2nd or 3rd and a prospect? It’s been 2 years has that prospect that Dallas sent Calgary in the NHL?

I don't think anybody answered this... Calgary received two players (Jyrki Jokipakka and Brett Pollock, neither of which are currently in the NHL), and a second round pick that they used to select Dillon Dube.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I don't think anybody answered this... Calgary received two players (Jyrki Jokipakka and Brett Pollock, neither of which are currently in the NHL), and a second round pick that they used to select Dillon Dube.

And that was for Russell. Hamhuis would of got a first.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya, his no-trade clause really hurt his value. He was definately worth a first though.
That is the thing with ntc. You have to remember that you got cap savings which means the trade off is a lower return due to the limited market you have to deal the player.

After the Gillis interview he sounded like he could still make good deals for the ntc guys but he only moved Lu who had one and look at the return there.

Full ntc guys will likely only give you a list of like 3 teams. And these are likely top teams who are right to the cap.

Edler would have a very short list if he is asked to waive.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
it's been reported by botchford that asking a player to sign off on waiving an ntc for a trade is usually the last step in a trade, and also that hamhuis was asked 4-5 days before the trade deadline to agree to a chicago trade and he hesitated for days until chicago moved on.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/hamhuis-and-his-ntc-the-wait-is-on
Yep thats why i was happy we never offered Hamhuis nothing after that cause he played around with us and screwed us over. To hell with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->