Speculation: Friedman - Oilers Showcasing Klefbom

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If klefboms on the block, hard not to see potential for a deal involving him and RNH heading to Montreal for Pacioretty and something. Gets two birds stoned at once if you’re bergevin.
As if it wouldnt cost a whole lot more than just Pacioretty considering his age and contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who has more value, RNH or Kleft? People have suggested Hoff for RNH.

If its RNH, then Hoff for Kleft + 2nd/3rd. Hes probably worth 1:1 but his low value atm might give us a 2nd or 3rd. I can keep hoping.

If Edmonton starts the year with Hoff on top line, and trade for a top 4 rhd could be good.
Hoffman's had a bad year too. Why is Klefbom subject to bad year value bit Hoffman Not?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Without seeing the clip my guess is this is another case of freidman speculating and someone else thinking he's reporting something

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Klefblom is one of their best defenseman. They need defensive help as it is, can't see them trading their best defenseman when they are in desperate need of defensive help.
Defensively he is one of their worst d-men.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
As if it wouldnt cost a whole lot more than just Pacioretty considering his age and contract.

I think the assumption at this point is that any "hockey" (ie. not futures) deal will happen post July 1st and an extension will have been worked out prior to the deal. So while I don't disagree that there is a significant plus added from the Habs side, I doubt Pacioretty's contract would be of any concern.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think the assumption at this point is that any "hockey" (ie. not futures) deal will happen post July 1st and an extension will have been worked out prior to the deal. So while I don't disagree that there is a significant plus added from the Habs side, I doubt Pacioretty's contract would be of any concern.
Pacioretty will be commanding a 5Mx5yr deal at minimum and 6x6 more likely considering it would be his last big deal. It would become a concern for Oilers defeating the purpose of trading RNH.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Pacioretty will be commanding a 5Mx5yr deal at minimum and 6x6 more likely considering it would be his last big deal. It would become a concern for Oilers defeating the purpose of trading RNH.

I'm not sure that the purpose of trading RNH needs to be cap space given the expected 80M dollar cap ceiling next year. I foresee a hockey trade in hopes of being more competitive. Extending Pacioretty on what could be an 82+ million dollar cap likely won't be a huge concern.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Klefbom is the wrong guy to be getting traded. It needs to be RNH.

I have never seen a player with that much talent to be asked to do a role so unfit for him. Edmonton literally has $6 million tied up into a 2C doing about $3 million of 3C "Charlie Work." Kid takes the hard match ups, plays 2nd unit PP, kills penalties and gets stuck with guys like Lucic.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

They need to figure out if Draisaitl is McDavid's winger or Edmonton's 2C. If the former, then yeah leave RNH alone. Put him at 2C, leave him there and get someone like Filppula (just an example) in free agency to do all this other shit and let RNH figure out how to become that 20 goal 70 point player he was supposed to be.

If the latter, send RNH off and up a 3C anyway.

In either event the Oilers need to trade out of their draft pick for the biggest haul they can get. Honest to God anything short of Dahlin is absolutely pointless for them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
blockbuster.png

:wildKlefbomb + RNH

:edmonton Jonas Brodin + Charlie Coyle/Jason Zucker

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
LOL
you didn't even mention Russell.

Not even going to bother replying anymore to this conversation.
Good idea. Especially if you think Klefbom is even in Larsson's league defensively. Russell has even been better then Klefbom this season. They have had to play Klefbom on Russell's pairing to help Klefbom's game. Even on the third pairing with Benning, Klefbom was getting lit up this season. I still do not think the Oilers should trade him though, unless they can upgrade a position. Makes no sense otherwise.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Ask the teenagers working the concession stands at Rogers Place. They'd be a better source on Oiler movements than Freidman.

Guy just throws crap to the wall and hopes it sticks. What has Friedman gotten right of any consequence, and been the first one to do it, this season? He's turned from one of the better sources for stuff like this in the NHL into one of the worst. Almost all (if not all) of his stuff just seems to be pure speculation on his part.

In what way does it make sense to "showcase" one of the team's top pairing Dman from last season who's struggled with a shoulder injury? It was mentioned on TSN that many players from other teams have noticed that Klefbom has been playing very tentatively on the bad shoulder and just is not the same player right now. Yes, let's sell low on a hobbled player. Brilliant! Keep dragging Klef out on the ice until someone offers us a couple 1st round busts.

But I bet Snow got hard by reading/hearing this from Friedman and called Chia right away and offered Dal Colle for Klef at the draft. Chia probably insisted he throw in a 1st rounder. This draft should be a zinger! ;)

Reactions: TrentonF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad