Speculation: Friedman - Oilers Showcasing Klefbom

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm so glad that Chia is the Oilers GM.
After all their #1 picks (concluding with McDavid) and the drafting of Drai, PP and Nurse I thought for sure that we'd be looking at a dynasty.

Reactions: deflowd

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm so glad that Chia is the Oilers GM.
After all their #1 picks (concluding with McDavid) and the drafting of Drai, PP and Nurse I thought for sure that we'd be looking at a dynasty.

He won't be GM for long if he makes another bad trade. He and McLellan are on thin ice, pun intended.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You can't make this up. This dumb **** is trying to ruin the Oilers more by trading a depreciating asset already at the lowest value of his career, by playing an injured player more to potentially aggravate his injury and not only further plummet his stock, but actively harm the player's personal health. If other people in the organization think Klefbom should be shut down and Chiarelli is overruling them to orchestrate a trade, the NHLPA needs to come in ASAP and hit him with the books for player rights abuse.

This ****** GM is arguably the biggest cancer in Oilers history, all players and personnel. More toxic than Eakins. More toxic than POHO Lowe. More toxic than Shayne Corson. Almost as toxic as Peter Pocklington himself. The Oilers should fire him, force him to return his entire earnings, and fine him an additional 5 million for obvious sabotage of another organization.
You can make this shit up, and most of the stuff Friedman says is made up and pure speculation

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He won't be GM for long if he makes another bad trade. He and McLellan are on thin ice, pun intended.
I doubt they are on thin ice at all.

Chia won't be fired. Worst case he gets the GM title stripped and is just the POHO. McLellan will get a job as head scout or another assistant GM.
Like usual, still in power.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
All this is is speculation nothing more . The one fact is Klefbom has been playing injured . As for Chia show casing him I doubt a GM would risk a players health if a doctor said he wasn't fit to play the NHLPA would roast Chia

Reactions: Roof Daddy

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
All this is is speculation nothing more . The one fact is Klefbom has been playing injured . As for Chia show casing him I doubt a GM would risk a players health if a doctor said he wasn't fit to play the NHLPA would roast Chia

Agreed. If there is something fishy going on, you have to think that the NHLPA or even Klefbom's camp would do something about it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Agreed. If there is something fishy going on, you have to think that the NHLPA or even Klefbom's camp would do something about it.

FWIW, Friedman has also said on his podcast that he's heard GMs saying why is klefbom playing, he's clearly hurt the past 2 weeks

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Eh, Klefbom could still be playing through an injury. Usually when teams are out of the playoffs you see the "x player is injured for the rest of the season" to get 100%, rather than "x player is injured for a month" and will be at 75-80%. It could very will be Chia wants to off-load Klefbom in the offseason and rather than giving him the rest of the season to heal up he's telling him to play through it.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I don't understand why the Oilers would want to trade a young up and coming defenceman like Klefbom. Wasn't the Hall trade all about stabilizing defense? Now they want to ship out a budding dman to get what....a winger? God this team is so stupid

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I would hope that if the Oilers are trading Klefbom, it's a Klefbom + for a player like OEL. But then again, Chia gonna Chia.

Some media wag was apparently blabbing about the Oilers trying hard by draft time and failing that, over the summer, to get OEL. in my opinion, the only reason OEL would want to move would be to go to a contender and I believe I have heard something along the lines of that before from the Yotes? If we did get him and he agreed to an expensive extention, you're looking at saying goodbye to either Nurse or Klefbom , plus our likely top 5 pick this year and a prospect like Yamamoto. It ain't gonna be cheap!!! o_O

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Klefbom recently said his shoulder feels fine. He has been awful this season and last season he was overrated. His defense is weak and he doesn't hit, but because he scored some points people think he is a good defenseman. He is above average offensively, and weak defensively. I don't think his skating is good enough to ever be very good defensively. There is no reason to trade him though unless it helps the Oilers get a quality winger or a better offensive d-man, otherwise just keep him.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Klefbom recently said his shoulder feels fine. He has been awful this season and last season he was overrated. His defense is weak and he doesn't hit, but because he scored some points people think he is a good defenseman. He is above average offensively, and weak defensively. I don't think his skating is good enough to ever be very good defensively. There is no reason to trade him though unless it helps the Oilers get a quality winger or a better offensive d-man, otherwise just keep him.

Last season he had a career year, 12 goals 26 assists and 38 points. You can't say he was overrated... he had a hell of a year.

Yeah, a lot of Oiler fans do.

Why don't we wait until he is in his prime. He is 24 right now. At 27 we can see if 2016-17 was an aberration or if that is the kind of offensive numbers he can put up on a regular basis. You're right Edmonton shouldn't trade him if they can't get a better player back. No point in downgrading on D.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This thread is funny. This wasn't a rumor, it was a thought. As in, "I wonder if Klefbom isn't being shut down because". More likely that he isn't being shut down because he's banged up, doesn't need surgery or anything, and playing won't further the injury.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Last season he had a career year, 12 goals 26 assists and 38 points. You can't say he was overrated... he had a hell of a year.

Yeah, a lot of Oiler fans do.

Why don't we wait until he is in his prime. He is 24 right now. At 27 we can see if 2016-17 was an aberration or if that is the kind of offensive numbers he can put up on a regular basis. You're right Edmonton shouldn't trade him if they can't get a better player back. No point in downgrading on D.
Anyone that thinks Klefbom is good defensively or ever has been, does not know what that means. Offensively certainly he has skill, but d-men get far too much credit for being good defenseman when their offense is good even through defensively they are not very good.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

It’s quite funny that when Friedman’s “31 Thoughts” involves another fan base’s team/player, he’s turning into a hack and it’s baseless speculation he manufactured out of thin air. When it involves the Oilers, it’s suddenly gospel.

Reactions: TrentonF

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If anything Chia is showcasing Klefbom to EDM fans so they dont grumble when he trades him for peanuts this offseason..

Chia needs to win the next few trades because media and fans are on him already.. no way he survives another Hall/Eberle/Maroon like trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad