Speculation: Friedman: Offer sheet for Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudpump

May 10, 2019
On the May 16th 31 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman says they he could see the Rangers making an offer sheet to RFA Brayden Point. I would assume that TB would match but still interesting rumor...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Absolutely not. Especially in the case of the Devils taking Kakko (which I think is more likely than others on this board would like to admit).

Hughes
Zibanejad
Chytil
Andersson
Howden

That is enough depth at center. And a lot of equity invested in those centers. That would be 3 1st round picks and the top asset from the McDonagh trade.

And now we are going to sink 4 more 1sts into Point???

Reactions: Lone Ranger

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They may threaten it to get them to send along something nice with Callahan.

I'd offer him one that TB will match begrudgingly just to **** them over. **** everything about that franchise.

Tampa would say "thanks for the four 1sts" and laugh for the next four years. They've got enough horses and enough cap trouble to say f*** it let the Rangers have him.

No thank you.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
According to cap friendly we would have to offer 10.6+ to even be eligible to send an offer due to compensation rules...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tampa would say "thanks for the four 1sts" and laugh for the next four years. They've got enough horses and enough cap trouble to say **** it let the Rangers have him.

No thank you.

They wouldn't have to offer that much. Tampa's cap is all kinds of boned unless they can move a body.

They have horses, but they need Point.

Edit: I'm not advocating doing this to get him, I'd want to make Tampa's situation even more nightmarish than it already is. I think this is a ploy to get them to pony up an asset to take on Cally's deal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They wouldn't have to offer that much. Tampa's cap is all kinds of boned unless they can move a body.

Edit: I'm not advocating doing this to get him, I'd want to make Tampa's situation even more nightmarish than it already is. I think this is a ploy to get them to pony up an asset to take on Cally's deal.

They can't make an offer in the tier lower because of the Fox trade. The tier lower than that is irrelevant since he certainly would not sign the offer sheet

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

So, the Rangers are going to offer sheet Point to some low number that he won't sign just to f*** with Tampa Bay? I don't see what that does for us.

And f*** that Callahan contract. I don't want him back here unless it's coming with an asset, not a pick.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They may threaten it to get them to send along something nice with Callahan.

I'd offer him one that TB will match begrudgingly just to **** them over. **** everything about that franchise.
Yeah, that's basically my thoughts. They want Tampa to think they might offer sheet Point.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Giving up 4 firsts while were still rebuilding is beyond dumb.
Im sick of Fried linking us to everyone and anyone

Reactions: Maximus

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No they cant. U have to have your own picks to offerhseet. The rangers wud have to reacquire whatever picks they have traded to make an offersheet. Friedman is like eklund these days.

You can offer other compensation to get the 2nd/3rd for next year back.

It's not all to dissimilar to what Tampa could have done with us last deadline to free up the conditions around their 2019 conditional 1st.

Either way, I don't see the Rangers throwing an offer sheet out there.

Reactions: jas

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
can we please stop with this crap. a rebuilding team isn't going to give up 4 1st rounders. maybe if we were talking about mcdavid...but that could be 4 top 10 picks.

after fox plays 30 games we won't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year, which means that aside from giving up 4 1st the only offer sheet we are eligible to make is for less than $1.4 mil which has no compensation.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's more likely a better team would offersheet a player like point. I can't see a bottom 10 team offer sheeting point. It could potentially turn into 4 top 10 first rounders.

If a good team in a good cap situation offered him 10.5m it would be more likely. That way they are more likely to give up 4 20th overall picks.

For example, if Toronto had never signed tavares, adding a young guy like point for 4 late first rounders would be a solid situation.

As a Canucks fan, I'd not want to offersheet him given we currently suck.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
can we please stop with this crap. a rebuilding team isn't going to give up 4 1st rounders. maybe if we were talking about mcdavid...but that could be 4 top 10 picks.

after fox plays 30 games we won't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year, which means that aside from giving up 4 1st the only offer sheet we are eligible to make is for less than $1.4 mil which has no compensation.

I guess you are assuming Zucc signs with Dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad