Speculation: Friedman: Leafs have edge on NCAA Hyman And Other NCAA free agents discussed

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Doubt the kid has much upside. He was basically a plug until his fourth and final year of college. Most NCAA players have great senior years, the true test is putting up numbers in your freshman and junior years.

I would say his success this year comes mostly on the back of someone named Larkin.

No thanks, I have no interest in him or his dad's cash will buy you anything attitude. I wonder if his dad was whispering in Friedman's ear.

Ask yourselves this, why would Florida not get him signed? Because they don't want him.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
doncherryhnic20120114.jpg

Doh Doh Doh, let's get some more college guys to take away spots from our Torona boys. Nathan Kadri 2 goals, 4 points. Connar Brown 2 goals, 4 points. You telling me they can't play!

Torona boys, GTHL, Ontaria good Canadian boys.

*Thumbs up*

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Doh Doh Doh, let's get some more college guys to take away spots from our Torona boys. Nathan Kadri 2 goals, 4 points. Connar Brown 2 goals, 4 points. You telling me they can't play!

Torona boys, GTHL, Ontaria good Canadian boys.

*Thumbs up*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm always right, cause I'm Don Cherry and the Leafs will make the playoffs this year too!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kevin Hayes seems to be working out nicely in NY.

Hyman is interesting but Reilly out of CBJ is who I am really interested in.

Yeah but Hayes is a 1st rounder and has a lot higher upside. I hope this guy works out but most likely he's a marlie for life.

I hope we sign him regardless

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Well he's a toronto native
Still fairly young, so if he does sign
Another decent prospect pick up I suppose
I wouldn't expect much from him like bailey
Until maybe a year in pro whether that be ahl or nhl
Then we can see if they're good players

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Never turn down a chance to sign young talent, but I see his trajectory leading more to the Marlies than the Leafs at this point.

Nothing to lose with this signing.

BB

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
It's funny to watch these free agent pursuits year after year with franchises wooing them to sign only to discard these guys on the minor pro junk heap after a season or two.

By all means add him if you can, but definitely no expectations.

Yeah, I guess you just have to hope he's not another Matt Frattin while the guy another team signs turns into Andy MacDonald or something. That would be bad.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
Just curious. Out of everyone who thinks he plateaus with the Marlies, how many have seen him play?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wait. Aim for O'Connor.

Then Mike Reilly.

Then this kid. Not really big on Hyman

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Elliotte Friedman is speculating that the Leafs have an inside edge on signing NCAA talent Zach Hyman:

Sorta interesting to speculate on, as this guy could be another post-season addition.
Its pretty sound speculation by Friedman here..

1) Toronto boy

2) Florida has a deep prospect pool near the top and Leafs have a weak prospect pool near the bottom of the NHL so a young player's odds would be greatest by joining the weakest competition.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
For what it's worth, his draft position was probably based more on indications he planned on going to college rather than going pro out of junior.

Sorta like how the CFL draft let's sure-fire star players go into the late rounds because the chances are too high the player ends up in the NFL and the pick is wasted.

I think most people saw his position in the draft as being way too high, not low. I know there were rumours about Florida drafting him, but I'll leave it at that. With the new ownership there, has the interest waned? Or is the Hyman camp just abandoning his drafting team? For what purpose?

I have no interest in Toronto being any part of his dads gong show.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...th_nhl_dreams_bankrolled_a_hockey_empire.html

In March, Hyman bought International Scouting Services (ISS), a company that scouts players and publishes a monthly NHL scouting report. A few months later, the Florida Panthers selected 18-year-old Zach Hyman in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL draft.

The six-foot centre, who captained his father's Hamilton Red Wings last season, posted an impressive 75 points in 49 games.

But leading up to the draft, Zach sat on the bubble, falling off the NHL's top-210 ranking after sitting at 175th on the mid-term spring rankings.

“We think there were 210 other skaters that have a better chance of being an NHL player than Zach Hyman,†said NHL Central Scouting Bureau director E.J. McGuire.

ISS, meanwhile, ranked Zach 120th. He was ultimately drafted 123rd.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What league in your example would the NHL be, because it sure seems like it would be the NFL, not the CFL

I'm saying that teams don't risk high draft picks on good players if they know the kid will want to go to college because they know there is a risk they lose the player for nothing.

The example I drew was just another different situation where teams will pass on good players because the player likely won't actually sign with the team.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument.[1] To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.

The straw man in this case is the invented assumption that the original poster, jmart, thinks a 4th overall pick is worth only $10. It is possible for jmart to highly value a 4th overall pick (i.e., in this analogy, maybe he thinks it's a wallet with $1400 inside of it, good for two months' rent) and still think a free NCAA wallet only has $5 inside.

Okay....

FWIW that doesn't really add to the context. You're creating an inverse straw man argument by purporting that jmart highly values a 4th OA draft pick (which IMO runs contrary to his OP).

Since neither of us is jmart then both statements are presented as fact but are really just our own speculations on jmart's thoughts.

The important take-home from this is that I am excited at the prospect of getting another talented player, and jmart isn't.

And we don't know what your opinion is.

pantherfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Hyman is a great young player. He's coming out of Michigan, the TOP player in the TOP Hockey Factory according to Hockey News' Future Report. Michigan has produced more 200 game + NHLers than any other CHL or NCAA program. Players like Cammelieri, Haglein, Cogliano, Turco, Trouba, Morrison etc…

Hyman set a new Big Ten scoring record and put up more points than any other Michigan player since 2007-2008-- including Carl Hagelin.

He's a hard working two way player with Top six potential in the NHL.

http://www.mgoblue.com/collegesportslive/?media=492757

But don't get too excited Leaf fans. Florida is fighting hard to keep him! And if he doesn't sign in FLA then expect a line up of teams and choices.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Hyman is a great young player. He's coming out of Michigan, the TOP player in the TOP Hockey Factory according to Hockey News' Future Report. Michigan has produced more 200 game + NHLers than any other CHL or NCAA program. Players like Cammelieri, Haglein, Cogliano, Turco, Trouba, Morrison etc…

Hyman set a new Big Ten scoring record and put up more points than any other Michigan player since 2007-2008-- including Carl Hagelin.

He's a hard working two way player with Top six potential in the NHL.

http://www.mgoblue.com/collegesportslive/?media=492757

But don't get too excited Leaf fans. Florida is fighting hard to keep him! And if he doesn't sign in FLA then expect a line up of teams and choices.

You haven't posted on the forum in almost 5 years & now you reappear. Trying to pump him up again? Let's hope Florida does sign him because I don't want his family anywhere near the Leafs.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
You haven't posted on the forum in almost 5 years & now you reappear. Trying to pump him up again? Let's hope Florida does sign him because I don't want his family anywhere near the Leafs.

LOL! Good catch. I think it might literally either be Zach Hyman or his mom.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Best of luck with him getting a contract somewhere. 50 contracts are precious. I'd have other names higher on my list.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A list of free agents discussed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761792

While Eichel has been held to just one assist, Rodrigues, the NCAA's second-leading scorer behind his centre, had three goals and an assist to help Boston University get past Yale and Minnesota-Duluth and reach the Frozen Four.

"I've had a good stretch of games here as of late and I'm playing with two terrific players, obviously," Rodrigues said, referring to Eichel and Danny O'Regan. "It's been a nice way to cap off my senior year, that's for sure. Hopefully I can keep it going for two more games."

O'Connor is 24-3-4 with a 2.10 goals-against average and .928 save percentage in his junior season. He's drawing a lot of interest from NHL clubs, including the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad