Speculation: Friedman: Leafs have edge on NCAA Hyman And Other NCAA free agents discussed

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Here's the 30 Thoughts article for the source.

Elliotte Friedman is speculating that the Leafs have an inside edge on signing NCAA talent Zach Hyman:

23. A couple more NCAA notes: Michigan senior forward Zach Hyman is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 16 if not signed by the team that drafted him, Florida. In a bit of a surprise, it sure sounds like he will test the market rather than go directly to the Panthers. In some way, Florida should take that as a compliment because they have so many prospects that the route for young players is now tougher.

You always look for relationships, too. This is purely a guess, but Hyman is from Toronto and his previous “advisor†(no agents in the NCAA, wink, wink) was Kyle Dubas. I could be overthinking it, but what the heck.

Sorta interesting to speculate on, as this guy could be another post-season addition.

For those wondering, Zach Hyman was drafted in the 5th round, 123rd overall in 2010 (the Leafs selected Petter Granberg 114th overall in the 4th round, and Sam Carrick in the 5th round).

He currently sits 7th on the Florida Panthers' prospect depth chart (per Hockey's Future).

I won't go too crazy into talent analysis, etc. as this thread is mainly to discuss the possibility of Toronto luring this kid out of college and basically filching a FLA prospect, similarly to Kevin Hayes and Justin Schultz.

Like a free wallet with the owner's name in the sleeve... :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
For what it's worth, his draft position was probably based more on indications he planned on going to college rather than going pro out of junior.

Sorta like how the CFL draft let's sure-fire star players go into the late rounds because the chances are too high the player ends up in the NFL and the pick is wasted.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Interesting perspective. The NHL Entry Draft must seem rather dismal to you, then?

No, I fully understand the importance of drafting.
I mean who doesn't want a free $5?

I'm glad to see we're adding young players. But we've seen this same movie before many, many times and it's anything from a guarantee or life-changing event.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
For what it's worth, his draft position was probably based more on indications he planned on going to college rather than going pro out of junior.

Sorta like how the CFL draft let's sure-fire star players go into the late rounds because the chances are too high the player ends up in the NFL and the pick is wasted.

I dont think so, he looks inline with most prospects in terms of draft position up until this year. He had very good OJHL stats but again he that is a tier below the OHL and only the exceptional in those Junior A leagues get drafted. BCHL is a little different though.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
doncherryhnic20120114.jpg

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Its like finding a wallet with nothing but a $5 bill in it.....when you need to come up with $700 for rent.

nah, its like a penny that your forced to sign a contract with preventing you from receiving a $100 bill if the oppertunity arised.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

What league in your example would the NHL be, because it sure seems like it would be the NFL, not the CFL

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Doubt the kid has much upside. He was basically a plug until his fourth and final year of college. Most NCAA players have great senior years, the true test is putting up numbers in your freshman and junior years.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The guy becoming a UFA rather than sign with the Panthers is exactly why clubs should shy away from NCAA players. Teams could be just wasting a draft pick. Very similar to drafting a Russian player who can just decide to play in the KHL. it's drafter beware.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The guy becoming a UFA rather than sign with the Panthers is exactly why clubs should shy away from NCAA players. Teams could be just wasting a draft pick. Very similar to drafting a Russian player who can just decide to play in the KHL. it's drafter beware.

Somehow I think this has more to do with Florida's depth than anything else. How many players have done this that makes it an issue in your eyes?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Somehow I think this has more to do with Florida's depth than anything else. How many players have done this that makes it an issue in your eyes?

i don't know, similarly I don't know how many Russians have done it but I have read where GM's were concerned about drafting Russians. Becoming a UFA 30 days after graduating would be tempting for the college player. just my opinion.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Doubt the kid has much upside. He was basically a plug until his fourth and final year of college. Most NCAA players have great senior years, the true test is putting up numbers in your freshman and junior years.
Not all seniors have years like he did . I dont know much about this guy but he had a very good year that a lot of seniors wish they could of had

sda

Feb 18, 2008

It does seem to be a growing trend for college players to not sign with the team that drafted them. There has beena lot of speculation about several players opting to go the free agent route and I dont blame them.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
i don't know, similarly I don't know how many Russians have done it but I have read where GM's were concerned about drafting Russians. Becoming a UFA 30 days after graduating would be tempting for the college player. just my opinion.

it's fair considering the past month with him and Reilly. I don't really think it's much of an issue though until it becomes widespread, and then I imagine the NHl changes the rules to accommodate the teams losing out

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If he becomes available, I think he would be a good pick-up.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zach-hyman/

Talent Analysis

Hyman has above-average speed and is a smooth and shifty skater. He has good lateral quickness and excellent stability on his skates. Hyman has shown dramatic improvement in his defensive and physical play during his college career and plays a disciplined, hard hitting game in his own zone. He has become a quality possession player who takes a lot of defensive zone starts and converts them into up-ice pressure.

Future

Hyman is enjoying his finest college season as a senior at Michigan in 2014-15. He is the Wolverines' leading scorer as Michigan has been among the top teams in the country for much of the year. Likely to sign an entry-level contract with Florida following his college season, he may need time at the minor level to adjust to pro hockey. Long-term, Hyman appears versatile enough to play either center or winger and could blossom into a dangerous, two-way scoring forward with tremendous professional potential.

CalgaryLeaf*

I see no reason to comment snidely about potentially adding a freebie....yet some still do :shakehead

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see no reason to comment snidely about potentially adding a freebie....yet some still do :shakehead

It's funny to watch these free agent pursuits year after year with franchises wooing them to sign only to discard these guys on the minor pro junk heap after a season or two.

By all means add him if you can, but definitely no expectations.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Kevin Hayes seems to be working out nicely in NY.

Hyman is interesting but Reilly out of CBJ is who I am really interested in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00