Speculation: Friedman: "I could see [Buffalo] being interested in a player like Nash too."

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It didn't even take that much to get him from Columbus.

Not sure I'd go that far. Dubi, though coming off a down season, was a solid 45-50 pt player with good defensive chops and could play 2C or on the wing. Anisimov was a 15-goal, 40-point player who was also solid defensively and could be slotted in the middle-6 forwards. Erixon still had some shine on him back then, and they gave up a 1st round pick, as well.

As much as I'd love Ennis, 21st, and a Compher/Bailey type to get it done, it probably doesn't.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Not sure I'd go that far. Dubi, though coming off a down season, was a solid 45-50 pt player with good defensive chops and could play 2C or on the wing. Anisimov was a 15-goal, 40-point player who was also solid defensively and could be slotted in the middle-6 forwards. Erixon still had some shine on him back then, and they gave up a 1st round pick, as well.

As much as I'd love Ennis, 21st, and a Compher/Bailey type to get it done, it probably doesn't.

It wasn't a lot for a 27 year old super star. If we traded 27 year old Vanek for that Regier would have been run out of town.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Ennis has a much more cap friendly deal than Nash, is much younger, and has shown that he's just starting to break out. Why the hell wouldn't they want Ennis?

This thread hurts me.

Wow, you just aren't getting it. Ennis is a good player and in a hockey trade he would be part of the deal but this is a strict salary dump type move. The NYR aren't trying to trade Nash to get different players. They need all his salary to pay for their other core pieces that they have to sign. Bringing in Ennis at $ 4 million or whatever he is at defeats the whole purpose of getting rid of Nash in the first place.
If they do move him they want picks prospects that won't count against the cap.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Dubinsky only scored more than 45 points once before that trade. In every other year, his totals were 40, 41, 44, and 34. Definitely closer to a 40-point player than a 50-point one.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It wasn't a lot for a 27 year old super star. If we traded 27 year old Vanek for that Regier would have been run out of town.
Nash was allowing a trade to like five teams, which is why they couldn't get Krieder at the 2012 deadline and tried to hold out for him.

When Sather put his foot down, the Jackets picked NHL readiness, two way play, and positional versatility over one way offense or better prospects still well short of blue chip status.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Wow, you just aren't getting it. Ennis is a good player and in a hockey trade he would be part of the deal but this is a strict salary dump type move. The NYR aren't trying to trade Nash to get different players. They need all his salary to pay for their other core pieces that they have to sign. Bringing in Ennis at $ 4 million or whatever he is at defeats the whole purpose of getting rid of Nash in the first place.
If they do move him they want picks prospects that won't count against the cap.

They probably do want to dump some salary, but it's unlikely they want just a picks and prospects deal. NYR is a serious contender ready to keep attempting to win. Giving up Nash just for cap space is dumb. They could take Ennis, still create 3+ mil of cap space without leaving a gigantic hole in their roster.

I personally wouldn't want that deal if I'm ny, but enough with the random posters saying Nash is getting dumped with no salary returning.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Nash was allowing a trade to like five teams, which is why they couldn't get Krieder at the 2012 deadline and tried to hold out for him.

When Sather put his foot down, the Jackets picked NHL readiness, two way play, and positional versatility over one way offense or better prospects still well short of blue chip status.

Ok but still the point is dont be surprised if he goes for less than we think.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Dubinsky only scored more than 45 points once before that trade. In every other year, his totals were 40, 41, 44, and 34. Definitely closer to a 40-point player than a 50-point one.

I think you're splitting hairs here. In the three seasons preceding the trade, Dubi had 132 pts in 223 games, which is a per-82 game pace of over 48 pts--and that included his down season before the trade when rumors were hovering over him. I think it's fair to see he was a 45-50 pt player at the time he was moved.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ok but still the point is dont be surprised if he goes for less than we think.

CBJ's hand was forced. NYR doesn't have to move Nash. While somewhat mitigated by Nash's advancing age, I think the package would have to be about that good--and I believe Dubi + Anisimov + 1st rounder + Erixon is about as good of a quantity package as one can expect.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Of course a winger like Nash would be a great add, but most likely not with the price it would take.

After his contract expires you'd had to re-sign Kane, Eichel, Reinhart and Nash. It would be a tough place.

If you could get him relatively cheap and he would re-sign relatively cheap, he could be a great veteran piece. But that is more pipedreaming than anything else.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't agree that the top ranked in x/60 makes someone the best at X in the league

wouldn't that make landeskog the best ES point scorer or something

Nah, 69th over the last three season in ES pts/60. Very good all-around player, though.

Per 60 averages even the playing field. It's by no means the only stat that should be looked at--qual comp, qual of teammate, etc.--but it gives you a decent idea how efficient players are with their ice time.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm surprised by all of the unwillingness to move Ennis in a deal like this. I may be his biggest supporter here, but if you can get a player like Nash to take the pressure away from the kids, this is a no brainer.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
They probably do want to dump some salary, but it's unlikely they want just a picks and prospects deal. NYR is a serious contender ready to keep attempting to win. Giving up Nash just for cap space is dumb. They could take Ennis, still create 3+ mil of cap space without leaving a gigantic hole in their roster.

I personally wouldn't want that deal if I'm ny, but enough with the random posters saying Nash is getting dumped with no salary returning.

Enough with the random posters declaring they know that the Rangers want salary back in return.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we do acquire a guy like Nash I want him to play in a top 6 WITH Ennis, not replace him.I also wouldn't be adding a ton to Ennis if that is who the Rangers want.Nash is the better player no question, but Nash only averages ~15 more points per season more then Ennis, and that's counting the last 2 seasons where Ennis was on a team that couldn't even average 2 goals a game.15 points is a decent gap,but again Nash being nearly 5 and a half years older and almost twice as expensive close the gap in value between the two.Nash would be that elusive elite goal scorer we haven't had since moving Vanek and he could form a killer top 6 at LW between him and Kane (Hell and Moulson too).

Ennis being half a decade younger, 3 mil cheaper and with an extra year of term close some of the gap that Nash possesses in terms of more offensive output.

Would prefer a futures based package for him a la Grigorenko+Larsson/Foligno+#21+Compher/Fasching/Pysyk or if they insist on Ennis then I am not giving up much more then Ennis+21+Bailey/Baptiste.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Cute, but still silly. Show all the deals where high paid productive players were traded with no salary coming back.

This whole topic of conversation is based on speculation from Friedman. The Sabres are his guess because they have the cap space to take on Nash's salary without forcing the NYR to take any back. If the NYR want to make a hockey trade with Nash then the Sabres don't make any sense as Nash is outside of their window for success.

The point is we don't know at the moment if the Rangers want to dump him, keep him or try to make a hockey trade for him. From the Sabres pov though it would only be a dump with prospects/picks going the other way.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This whole topic of conversation is based on speculation from Friedman. The Sabres are his guess because they have the cap space to take on Nash's salary without forcing the NYR to take any back. If the NYR want to make a hockey trade with Nash then the Sabres don't make any sense as Nash is outside of their window for success.

The point is we don't know at the moment if the Rangers want to dump him, keep him or try to make a hockey trade for him. From the Sabres pov though it would only be a dump with prospects/picks going the other way.

Yes they have cap space compared to other teams. That doesn't mean they take zero dollars back.

It's an unlikely scenario in general but a deal with all picks and prospects from the Sabres is extremely unbelievable.

I'd like to see a viable package for Nash that had no roster player coming back.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I'm surprised by all of the unwillingness to move Ennis in a deal like this. I may be his biggest supporter here, but if you can get a player like Nash to take the pressure away from the kids, this is a no brainer.

Why can't Ennis be the guy to take away pressure from the kids?? Dont let this past season fool you, Nash is heading on the downward of his career while Ennis is projecting up. It is simply not an exchange you do right now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why can't Ennis be the guy to take away pressure from the kids?? Dont let this past season fool you, Nash is heading on the downward of his career while Ennis is projecting up. It is simply not an exchange you do right now.

Even if true there's such a gaping chasm between the two that progression and regression doesn't make up the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad