Speculation: Friedman: "I could see [Buffalo] being interested in a player like Nash too."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There is nothing linking the Sabres to "being in" on Nash beyond Friedman's imagination. He's just speculating.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
At the right price, sure. But I suspect that price would be way too high to be worth it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I miss the Darcy Regier era.... where things plodded along and were fairly predictable.
It's hard to know what Murray is going to do even after he is pretty honest during interviews.

The reasons Nash would make sense:
1. If he doesn't cost a ton because of the high cap hit.
2. His high cap hit is only for 3 years, which we have (or need to use) the space.
3. Can help this team with scoring during the regular season.

Reasons this doesn't make sense:
1. The purpose of Pegula Sabres is to win multiple Stanley Cups. I want Nash no where near this team when we are supposed to be contending for the Cup.
2. If he costs us any of our core youth.
3. Can he play on the right wing?

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He'd be our best offensive, defensive, and possession forward. I'd be interested in any dollar for quarters package.

Meanwhile, this would be the Rangers admitting the core isn't good enough and copping to a 1-2 year rebuild/retool.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just spitballing here, my best guess:

Ennis
21st overall
One of 31st overall/Compher/Baptiste/Bailey

I'm really not sure how the Rags value him. I'm a bit surprised he's on the market.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Opening faceoff of the 2015-16 season featuring Evander Kane, Jack Eichel and Rick Nash? Sign me up.

Now the million dollar question for you: Would you pursue Nash if the Rangers required Ennis being part of the package going back to them?

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
How old is he now, 31?

He'll be 31 tomorrow actually.

Questions I would have if the Sabres are indeed interested (I don't think they would be)

Can his game age well?

Can he be like Marian Hossa and continue to play at a high level through his 30s.

What's his next contract going to look like?

If Murray wants him our timeline speeds up a little but he'd have to take a pay cut to stay with us for his next deal. When his deal expires we'll have to extend or already extended Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov etc.

I don't think he's worth it at this point in our building process.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Now the million dollar question for you: Would you pursue Nash if the Rangers required Ennis being part of the package going back to them?

I don't think there's any chance they sell him for Ennis++, they could get a better core piece

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad