Speculation: Friedman: "I could see [Buffalo] being interested in a player like Nash too."

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Now the million dollar question for you: Would you pursue Nash if the Rangers required Ennis being part of the package going back to them?

Of course. You don't get your hands on a superstar everyday. I cried when I found out that my favorite player, Pierre Turgeon was traded. I've matured a small amount since then and should be able to handle this without shedding a tear.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Who? I'm legitimately curious, I don't see Ennis as a starter for anybody's core players.

I'd imagine there's a litany of players/prospects they'd value higher than Ennis, someone will bite on a player like Nash

e: I think there was a miscommunication here

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
cap hell

Staal already got his raise and Stepan will get a nice raise too
and they were right at the cap before

Not really cap hell.

They'll have about 10 million to work with and have to sign Hagelin, stepan, st. louis, and JT miller.

St. Louis probably walks, and Dan Boyle probably gets moved opening 4.5 more of space.

They aren't in a great place but not hell either.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Well yeah, that's not my point. It's that the Rangers are trying to find the next Gomez/McDonagh trade, and you can scale the value coming back with Nash being the better player.

that's a hell of a scale considering gomez was recognized for what he was at the time

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
vader.jpg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Come playoff time... Rick VaNash.

Not too keen on giving up pieces required to get such an enigma.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This is the type of move you make when you're contending, and need that extra push to get you over the hump. At this point in time, I would not want to trade for Nash unless he came on the cheap, which doesn't seem possible.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If the NYR want to get rid of his salary, how many teams can fit his full cap hit?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From reading the article, this is speculation not rumor. He says he could see the Sabres being interested because they can afford him cap and asset-wise, and Tim Murray is aggressive. I can't see the Sabres being interested.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
speculators gonna speculate

that is all
Indeed.

Also his playoff production is the result of a thankless role and is a symptom of the Rangers not being all that good as a postseason team.

Disagree with Beerz view, agree with Struck's view. NYR secondary scoring dried up in the playoffs.

Not really cap hell.

They'll have about 10 million to work with and have to sign Hagelin, stepan, st. louis, and JT miller.

St. Louis probably walks, and Dan Boyle probably gets moved opening 4.5 more of space.

They aren't in a great place but not hell either.
I agree with your view of what likely transpires. But, it appears Boyle wants to stay, and I think NYR are better off keeping him, if they can fit him. If we've learned anything the past decade or so, deep playoff teams can never have enough quality defensive depth. But I've always been a Dan Boyle fan.

As for the Nask speculation - just can't see it for all the obvious reasons others stated. And that makes it foolish to speculate on the part of Friedman or Chris Nichols, or whomever (and I recognize it's part oftheir job).

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Didn't the Sabres juuust ditch Thomas Vanish a year and a half ago? Why would they want Rick Vanash now? As good of a player that he is, he doesn't fit the team given that he's 31 tomorrow. He'll be 34-35 by the time this team is ready to contend and he's not like Hossa, who can play well past his prime. Nash at 34-35 will look like Dany Heatley out there...

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Ugh.

Because he's either matched up head to head against better offensive players, and succeeds in halting their offense at the cost of his own, or controlling play against shutdown units that are willing to completely sacrifice possession to stop him from scoring.

He's had one of the top playoff GF/60 rates on the Rangers in 2/3 of his seasons, and has posted a GA/60 under two in three consecutive playoffs. Yeah, **** that guy...

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Any deal involving Ennis and Nash should be an immediate no from Sabres fans.

Ennis should be one of the last names being mentioned in a trade. Kid has that heart and tanacity to be our Briere in a future playoff run.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Any deal involving Ennis and Nash should be an immediate no from Sabres fans.

Ennis should be one of the last names being mentioned in a trade. Kid has that heart and tanacity to be our Briere in a future playoff run.

How did Ennis even get brought up to begin with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad