Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
And hyperbole and having words put in your
mouth gets exhausting as well. I mean seriously, it’s probably one of the biggest reasons things get the way they do around here. It’s just disrespectful.
It’s unfortunate that when people express disappointment or are critical of the team, it gets labelled as negative and portrayed as hysterical. It’s patronizing and arrogant. Reasonable discussion doesn’t always follow a single pov, although it’s often portrayed that way. I find many of the posters here who are critical of the organization, to be some of our most knowledgeable posters. Sadly, when things always get portrayed as positive or negative, it relegates even reasoned posters to the fringes.

I’ll say most of the more extreme criticism of the team is amplified by the lack of success on the ice. Many of the posters who have left are likely still around if the team is performing better, because it tones down the extremes. Forums like these are sounding boards, and right now most are sounding off with frustration. I think that’s understandable given the performance of the team.

For sure. I didn't mean to say it's just a problem on one "side". I'd say it's equally disrespectful and arrogant to say that, for example, someone is a "Maurice defender" because they suggested that maybe the players are also to blame for the team's struggles. That happened a lot. It's hard on both sides of the spectrum.

I just find criticism for the sake of it with nothing really added to the discussion beyond "X sucks!" to be tiring to read through. I'm sure you're right that some people would still be here if the team was doing well, just as I'm probably right that some wouldn't be here if they were doing well.

I understand frustration, but I tend to focus more on the discussion part of the discussion board and less the shouting into the void aspect of it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
For sure. I didn't mean to say it's just a problem on one "side". I'd say it's equally disrespectful and arrogant to say that, for example, someone is a "Maurice defender" because they suggested that maybe the players are also to blame for the team's struggles. That happened a lot. It's hard on both sides of the spectrum.

I just find criticism for the sake of it with nothing really added to the discussion beyond "X sucks!" to be tiring to read through. I'm sure you're right that some people would still be here if the team was doing well, just as I'm probably right that some wouldn't be here if they were doing well.

I understand frustration, but I tend to focus more on the discussion part of the discussion board and less the shouting into the void aspect of it.
I guess if discussion means marginalizing and misrepresenting viewpoints, which I’m sure you know what I’m referring to.
I think to a large extent, there’s an intellectual superiority aspect to those who feel they participate in real discussion. This board has a cross section of people who participate, with different things to say. Some of those are in the extremes, but I tend to think get exaggerated tbh. They don’t represent a majority.
Personally I don’t post nearly as often as I used to, the team hasn’t been all that interesting and there hasn’t been anything new to talk about for quite some time. Hopefully a new direction with a new coaching staff breathes some life into it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I've never bought into the suggestions that IT, whatever it may be at the time, has been Chipman's fault. I don't see any signs of an interfering owner. Chevy is the GM and it is on him.

That is, until a 3 year extension to the guy who has built whatever it is you want to call what we have. Way too much approval under the circumstances.

If Chevy can't turn this aircraft carrier around pretty quickly, he is going to have to go. Chipman is going to have to dig into his pockets to pay him for those 3 years.
I totally disagree.
Chipman is involved and as the owner more power to him.
He’s been part of the problem, these lingering issues didn’t appear in a vacuum.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Yep. And some of the guys who left quoted the Sawyers sucks as something they were sick of before they disappeared.
Honestly, if that’s the reason someone left then I think they might want to reevaluate participating in public forums. I think the running gag is actually shut up Sawyer, and it’s really just a GDT inside gag for the most part.

Last edited:

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
And hyperbole and having words put in your
mouth gets exhausting as well. I mean seriously, it’s probably one of the biggest reasons things get the way they do around here. It’s just disrespectful.
It’s unfortunate that when people express disappointment or are critical of the team, it gets labelled as negative and portrayed as hysterical. It’s patronizing and arrogant. Reasonable discussion doesn’t always follow a single pov, although it’s often portrayed that way. I find many of the posters here who are critical of the organization, to be some of our most knowledgeable posters. Sadly, when things always get portrayed as positive or negative, it relegates even reasoned posters to the fringes.

I’ll say most of the more extreme criticism of the team is amplified by the lack of success on the ice. Many of the posters who have left are likely still around if the team is performing better, because it tones down the extremes. Forums like these are sounding boards, and right now most are sounding off with frustration. I think that’s understandable given the performance of the team.
I have nothing against people being critical of players, coaching or management decisions, even brutally so. There is room for criticism.

I have trouble with people throwing unfounded personal attacks at players and ownership that have shown nothing but loyalty to the team.

For example, I've read lots of posts on here suggesting that Wheeler is a cancer. He ran Laine out of town and needs to be stripped of his C, bought out, etc. There is no proof and very little evidence of any of this.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I have nothing against people being critical of players, coaching or management decisions, even brutally so. There is room for criticism.

I have trouble with people throwing unfounded personal attacks at players and ownership that have shown nothing but loyalty to the team.

For example, I've read lots of posts on here suggesting that Wheeler is a cancer. He ran Laine out of town and needs to be stripped of his C, bought out, etc. There is no proof and very little evidence of any of this.
Agreed, I’m not big on the personal attacks and pejoratives directed at players. It’s beyond fandom to refer to other people as garbage. I moderate a baseball site where that isn’t tolerated.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets need a president of hockey operations. Mark Chipman needs to stop trying to “control the message” and being Mr.Nice guy… he can’t be influencing player contracts and playing time based on his personal feelings towards an Individual or what they have done for the city.

There is absolutely no point to this “loyalty” narrative. In fact, it’s completely the opposite message you want to send. Why would you want to be traded to Winnipeg or drafted by them, when you know that Chip is “loyal” to his boys. That pretty much guarantees the top players are locked in no matter how awful they play, or how much better you are than them.

President of hockey ops… manage the hockey side of the business and let Chip worry about loyalty to fans and the people of Winnipeg.

It’s been pretty clear for years that there’s an “old boys club” in the Jets organization. Blake, and Mark are the two who have benefited from this the most. Blake more due to the fact that he has cashed in on his Chip loyalty with that albatross. Players who outperform Wheeler, and Scheif, and still get a small portion of ice time, limited Pp time, and of course, limited money. Guys like Nik Ehlers. An elite talent that gets 20 seconds of Pp time if he’s lucky, usually plays less mins than Wheeler and Scheif. Ehlers should be the winger out there for 20+ a night, starting on the PP1 and the puck on his stick 90% of the time… he’s a dangerous player, we can all see that. When he’s getting every faceoff in his own zone, leads the NHL in transitioning the puck from his own zone to the Ozone with it on his stick… how much more heavy lifting (and shitty play from PP1) does this guy have to endure to get a shot?

Buff just instantly retired… maybe the “boys” turned their sights on him.

It’s pretty clear that Wheeler and Scheif were threatened by Patty Laine… I mean the kid can out score then and he looks like he’s not even tryin half the time! Guess what happens when he leaves? We see Mark and Blake trying desperately to clap home one timers from the Laine spot… damn! How does he do it?!?

Something I remember seeing a lot when the Jets first started useing the Compon power play.. wheeler would have the puck on the half wall (under zero pressure because… well… he can’t shoot) abs before he would even start to skate downhill he would always give Buff a pass which would instantly come back to wheels. It’s a check pass, when Wheeler (given all day with the puck because he couldn’t shoot) would hit someone with a cross seam for a one timer goal, Buffs assist was taken care of. A little fist bump between the boys and it’s a done deal. I scratch your back, you scratch mine… forget the team, let’s make sure we can get paid!

I loved how Stas completely interjected himself into the last interview as Wheeler was doing his best politician act (his eyes on Stas “control the message Paul!”)… called it like it is. I remember someone else calling out Dany Heatly for this same stuff when he was with San Jose… (Dan Boyle?) either way. Scheif isn’t a winner, Wheeler isn’t a winner. Get them out of here.

And to the poster who said “Wheeler isn’t a cry baby or a quitter” well… wrong. Remember when he refused to play for the team that drafted him? Real standup fella. You can go ahead and measure the character right there. He wasn’t going to get what he wanted, so he refused… I wonder what he’s like with “power” … oh captain my captain

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The Jets need a president of hockey operations. Mark Chipman needs to stop trying to “control the message” and being Mr.Nice guy… he can’t be influencing player contracts and playing time based on his personal feelings towards an Individual or what they have done for the city.

There is absolutely no point to this “loyalty” narrative. In fact, it’s completely the opposite message you want to send. Why would you want to be traded to Winnipeg or drafted by them, when you know that Chip is “loyal” to his boys. That pretty much guarantees the top players are locked in no matter how awful they play, or how much better you are than them.

President of hockey ops… manage the hockey side of the business and let Chip worry about loyalty to fans and the people of Winnipeg.

It’s been pretty clear for years that there’s an “old boys club” in the Jets organization. Blake, and Mark are the two who have benefited from this the most. Blake more due to the fact that he has cashed in on his Chip loyalty with that albatross. Players who outperform Wheeler, and Scheif, and still get a small portion of ice time, limited Pp time, and of course, limited money. Guys like Nik Ehlers. An elite talent that gets 20 seconds of Pp time if he’s lucky, usually plays less mins than Wheeler and Scheif. Ehlers should be the winger out there for 20+ a night, starting on the PP1 and the puck on his stick 90% of the time… he’s a dangerous player, we can all see that. When he’s getting every faceoff in his own zone, leads the NHL in transitioning the puck from his own zone to the Ozone with it on his stick… how much more heavy lifting (and shitty play from PP1) does this guy have to endure to get a shot?

Buff just instantly retired… maybe the “boys” turned their sights on him.

It’s pretty clear that Wheeler and Scheif were threatened by Patty Laine… I mean the kid can out score then and he looks like he’s not even tryin half the time! Guess what happens when he leaves? We see Mark and Blake trying desperately to clap home one timers from the Laine spot… damn! How does he do it?!?

Something I remember seeing a lot when the Jets first started useing the Compon power play.. wheeler would have the puck on the half wall (under zero pressure because… well… he can’t shoot) abs before he would even start to skate downhill he would always give Buff a pass which would instantly come back to wheels. It’s a check pass, when Wheeler (given all day with the puck because he couldn’t shoot) would hit someone with a cross seam for a one timer goal, Buffs assist was taken care of. A little fist bump between the boys and it’s a done deal. I scratch your back, you scratch mine… forget the team, let’s make sure we can get paid!

I loved how Stas completely interjected himself into the last interview as Wheeler was doing his best politician act (his eyes on Stas “control the message Paul!”)… called it like it is. I remember someone else calling out Dany Heatly for this same stuff when he was with San Jose… (Dan Boyle?) either way. Scheif isn’t a winner, Wheeler isn’t a winner. Get them out of here.

And to the poster who said “Wheeler isn’t a cry baby or a quitter” well… wrong. Remember when he refused to play for the team that drafted him? Real standup fella. You can go ahead and measure the character right there. He wasn’t going to get what he wanted, so he refused… I wonder what he’s like with “power” … oh captain my captain
Yup, it’s posts like this that are so negative and far from reality that are driving people away.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yep. And some of the guys who left quoted the Sawyers sucks as something they were sick of before they disappeared.
I’ve always laughed at shut up Sawyer as I find repetition hilarious,but that’s just me, Sawyer does totally suck and it’s just sad he was the best TSN could find for the Winnipeg Jets market!

Hnidy turned out to be a gem, Sawyer an unpolished turd!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yup, it’s posts like this that are so negative and far from reality that are driving people away.

y'know, this is an internet forum. None of us have a direct line to any inside info here...we're all just talking out of our asses whether we're being negative OR positive. I had endless debates with people on this forum who refused to believe that Evander Kane hated Winnipeg or felt that Ondre Pavelec was a good goalie. I didn't have any real info about Kane...I just could tell from watching him that he hated it here. Sometimes, people read the tea leaves. People who believe Wheeler is an awesome captain and a great guy have no more basis in anything real for that assessment than people who think the contrary. I've watched Wheeler for years in pressers and interviews...and I can certainly see how he might be kind of a dick to be around. Sorry if that's too negative a take for some...

It's worth pointing out that a lot of what would have been called "negative and far from reality" takes from a few months back have turned out to be pretty much on the money based on what has happened in recent weeks with the team...

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Perspective is a funny thing. Everyone was having a blast looking forward to the future when antropov was our number 1 centre and our top prospect was Angelo Esposito. Now we have Connor, ehlers, Dubois, morrissey, hellebuyck, perfetti, heinola, samberg, Lucius, and WE ARE DOOMED FOR ETERNITY. Lol.
I think that this shows how much our board knows hockey.

With Antropov as our #1 Centre we knew things could only go up as we just got our team back.

With all the players you stated that we have know We expect more from an organization and an owner with 11 years experience running our favourite team

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
She was a regular? She was around for what, a month?

Sheesh, this board is starting to sound like the Jet's locker room here! :laugh: Why can't we all just get along man?
Dear Sensible,

For accuracy it should be pointed out that @Pandemonia was indeed a regular and has been around since at least 2020, mostly in lurk mode. @Stumbledore points this out above. She has obviously had her fill of the nitrogenous sulphur laden anoxic material that accretes upon the lining of a healthy prairie slough eg, this board. As Loons certainly occupy and ply these waters, they must necessarily dump the vast quanta of nitrogenous materials that result from ingestion and digestion of organics, et voila, her limit was met. :)

-k

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Dear Sensible,

For accuracy it should be pointed out that @Pandemonia was indeed a regular and has been around since at least 2020, mostly in lurk mode. @Stumbledore points this out above. She has obviously had her fill of the nitrogenous sulphur laden anoxic material that accretes upon the lining of a healthy prairie slough eg, this board. As Loons certainly occupy and ply these waters, they must necessarily dump the vast quanta of nitrogenous materials that result from ingestion and digestion of organics, et voila, her limit was met. :)

-k
er, ok...

I don't really count lurking as contributing to "regular" status personally but sure, she was around since all of 2020. She seemed to disappear right around the time the board was upgraded...so perhaps her leaving wasn't only about dissatisfaction with posters in general.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I guess if discussion means marginalizing and misrepresenting viewpoints, which I’m sure you know what I’m referring to.
I think to a large extent, there’s an intellectual superiority aspect to those who feel they participate in real discussion. This board has a cross section of people who participate, with different things to say. Some of those are in the extremes, but I tend to think get exaggerated tbh. They don’t represent a majority.
Personally I don’t post nearly as often as I used to, the team hasn’t been all that interesting and there hasn’t been anything new to talk about for quite some time. Hopefully a new direction with a new coaching staff breathes some life into it.
Conversely, I think there are posters here who don't really want to have any constructive conversations at all.

Their sole purpose is to post here to ruin everyone else's enjoyment, like someone standing next to a table of people talking and banging pots and pans together. It would be nice if those were treated as trolls as per the definition on this site, so actual conversation (good and bad) could be had.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
It’s 100% fact that Wheeler told Buff he will no longer be giving him the free secondary assist on the PP, instead it’ll now be going to Kyle Connor because he gave Wheeler a nice holiday ham for Christmas 2018, shockingly because of this things started going down hill in the new year (as it’s been stated here numerous times things started going down hill halfway through the 18-19 season, this is why)

Buff was so furious that he was ousted from the “old boys club” for a player 12 years younger than him didn’t sit well, that’s when he devised a plan to screw the Jets over for the 19-20 season by deciding to shockingly retire one day into training camp.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Conversely, I think there are posters here who don't really want to have any constructive conversations at all.

Their sole purpose is to post here to ruin everyone else's enjoyment, like someone standing next to a table of people talking and banging pots and pans together. It would be nice if those were treated as trolls as per the definition on this site, so actual conversation (good and bad) could be had.
Agreed.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I totally disagree.
Chipman is involved and as the owner more power to him.
He’s been part of the problem, these lingering issues didn’t appear in a vacuum.

Well the extension certainly puts a stamp of approval on what's been done - whether Chevy did it independently or as required by Chipman. Either way Chipman approves.

There has been a lack of accountability for players, coach and now apparently GM. So at this point, Chipman has to wear this, one way or another.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
er, ok...

I don't really count lurking as contributing to "regular" status personally but sure, she was around since all of 2020. She seemed to disappear right around the time the board was upgraded...so perhaps her leaving wasn't only about dissatisfaction with posters in general.
Unlikely.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Dear Sensible,

-k
I see that Word of The Day calendar you received as a Xmas present has come in handy.:D

I jest of course. The post does pretty much sums things up I would imagine. Not knowing the poster personally of course.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad