Sportsnet: Friedman - 30 Thoughts (March 16, 2016)

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
This is my bet for Marner:

1) 9 games with the Leafs to get a taste of what Babs wants him to work on
2) World Juniors in December / January
3) OHL for the rest of the year

There are not a lot of options and I don't see Europe as one of them.

Personally, I see it quite the opposite way.
1) OHL to start off the season
2) Gets called up in December and plays 2nd or 3rd line like Nylander is doing this season
3) Plays at the World Juniors regardless of what team he's on at the time

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
2) Gets called up in December and plays 2nd or 3rd line like Nylander is doing this season

Pretty sure that's not allowed.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Tend agree with Mr Freeze's post 51. The three way, Leafs/WJC/Knights.

The other move might be see how does in 9 Leaf games....which is the end of October.

If the Leafs think he is OK. Don't play him as a regular but he still practices with the Leafs, and maybe the Marlies. Goes to WJC.

Might only play 40 games as a Leaf. Is that better than 70 games of junior? I think the limited season with the Leafs is better, but Lou, Mike and friends know best.

FazeLeaf*

I think when you play on a team that has tremendous puck possession, scores a lot, and wins a ton of games, you don't get the time and opportunity to work on other aspects of the game, like playing without the puck.

Like my previous comment, I believe that's why Nylander hasn't made a huge impact yet 5 on 5 on the Leafs. If you watch him carefully, he is standing around a lot and not moving his feet as much as he should be. He's getting accustomed to playing without the puck, as opposed to being a huge driving force for the Marlies and scoring at a record pace.

That's why I think Marner would be better suited for the Leafs next season, if he shows that he is physically ready. An "NHL summer", as Babs would put it, would be great benefit for him

They are going to lose Dvorak next year, they wont be as good. Maybe Cliff Pu plays a lot better with more ice time. He wont gain bad habits if he stays. But I agree, I think he will benefit from playing on the Leafs. Lou isnt going to say they expect him to play on the team next year because it puts pressure on Marner that isnt needed. And if Marner didn't play well and gets sent back, there will be a ruckus about Lou contradicting his comments. Patrick Kane plays essentially the same game as Marner and were the same size at 19. If I remember correctly Kane put up more points than Marner did so I dont think Marner will have as good a rookie year but I think he would be good enough for 35 points while playing limited time. He doesn't need to come out guns blazing and tear up the league.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Marner is too good for jr's. There's no denying his talent is NHL ready that it's physicality that needs to catch up to play an 82 game schedule. The thing is he doesn't have to play 82 games and IMO not being eligible for the AHL is a blessing for a talent like this because it forces management away from sending him there. I see Marner get the Seguin treatment next year plays in the NHL but doesn't dress every game. Gains valuable NHL experience that would give him way more than the AHL would give him and by not playing every night he gets more time in the gym to be ready the following year.

Of course there's the possibility since the team wont have many stop gap has beens to begin with he just flat out comes in and earns an everyday player job and plays in just about all the games

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
With his talents his size will be less of an issue. Even if he plays 4th line wing to start the season with PP opportunities I still think that is better then him going back for another season in juniors.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only way Marner could get called up from the OHL is for 1 game only in an emergency situation. It's the same way Nazem Kadri made his NHL debut for the Leafs during the 2009-2010 season.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nylander had a pretty major concussion. Though he is playing again, it can be the better part of a year before he returns to form.

He'll be fine.

Or not.

Just wait it out. What's the rush?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Nylander had a pretty major concussion. Though he is playing again, it can be the better part of a year before he returns to form.

He'll be fine.

Or not.

Just wait it out. What's the rush?

Not sure how serious it was.. He also had appendicitis which extended his time injured.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not sure how serious it was.. He also had appendicitis which extended his time injured.

Wasn't it appendicitis where they treated it without surgery?

Sounded like malarkey to down-play the concussion.

Teams seem very sensitive on the subject nowadays, with the concussion lawsuits on-going.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wasn't it appendicitis where they treated it without surgery?

Sounded like malarkey to down-play the concussion.

Teams seem very sensitive on the subject nowadays, with the concussion lawsuits on-going.

so they tossed out "and he had appendicitis?"

like why offer that gem if he didn't have to. you can use antibiotics instead of surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00