GDT: friday game against racist team logo team at seven thirty pm

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
This team is better this year, up and down the roster, than it's been in almost a decade, and it's getting better. No point in this discussion imo.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks man. We could probably use more TT-like players, got any you'd like to trade to us, I mean we've helped your team out w/ cap issues in the past. :laugh:

Sure, DeBrincat is looking promising in the OHL. Take Seabrook with him and it's good as gold ;)

Jokes aside, glad to see TT doing well and so bummed to hear the news with Bickell. I know it broke awhile back, but I didn't feel comfortable coming to your board to say anything about it. Just happy there's FINALLY an answer as to what was going on with him. We all thought it was PCS, but MS? Brutal, brutal news. Please give some love to that guy, because he's a great person.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sure, DeBrincat is looking promising in the OHL. Take Seabrook with him and it's good as gold ;)

Jokes aside, glad to see TT doing well and so bummed to hear the news with Bickell. I know it broke awhile back, but I didn't feel comfortable coming to your board to say anything about it. Just happy there's FINALLY an answer as to what was going on with him. We all thought it was PCS, but MS? Brutal, brutal news. Please, please give some love to that guy, because he's a great person.

TT I think is starting to come into his own here in the last few weeks. I think the first weeks of the season was probably getting used to playing on a new team, it happens. He seems like he is playing w/ a lot of confidence now. He and Aho seem like they are becoming good buds.

Bickell was actually productive here, he did something that we really haven't seen since, well maybe the Cup win? and that's plant your ass in front of the net on the PP. Not really sure how and why we couldn't find someone like that for 10 years but Bickell was that guy and it sucks that his playing career is threatened w/ disease. I do hope the team continues to rally around him.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
TT has been way better since they put him at center. We needed a 3C, as far as I'm concerned he's it. He handles the defensive aspects pretty well and looks a lot more dynamic with his skating.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
TT I think is starting to come into his own here in the last few weeks. I think the first weeks of the season was probably getting used to playing on a new team, it happens. He seems like he is playing w/ a lot of confidence now. He and Aho seem like they are becoming good buds.

Bickell was actually productive here, he did something that we really haven't seen since, well maybe the Cup win? and that's plant your ass in front of the net on the PP. Not really sure how and why we couldn't find someone like that for 10 years but Bickell was that guy and it sucks that his playing career is threatened w/ disease. I do hope the team continues to rally around him.

I'm glad he's finding his confidence, because he sorely lacked it with us. You'd see it at times, but then it would disappear again for long stretches. I don't know if it was the draft hype (I don't believe this one), or the defensive style of coach Q, of being called "Finnish Kane", or just his youth, but for whatever reason he never really flourished with the Hawks. If he turns into what I THINK he can be, you guys have a VERY good player in your hands.

Spot on with Bickell, too. That's how he got promoted to the top line with us. Plant your ass in front of the net and screen the goalie. The sad part is after that run in 13, we basically just watched him fall over his own skates more often than not. It was frustrating before we all found out just what was going on, and now it's just tragic and sad, to a degree. I'm glad he got that contract though, as it gives him so much more ability to live a normal life in the face of MS. For real though, from all I've heard and all I've seen him do, he's a big dude with a big heart. Much love for Bickell even though I've shredded him for "loafing" before. If I knew then what I know now with regards to his health...just, ouch.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
TT has been way better since they put him at center. We needed a 3C, as far as I'm concerned he's it. He handles the defensive aspects pretty well and looks a lot more dynamic with his skating.

He's a natural center. He was actually supposed to be our 2c answer, then the whole Saad thing happened, and Anisimov showed so much chemistry with Panarin and Kane that he was put on wing, which was a disservice to his game. He WAS tried as a 3c for a stretch and did well on his defensive assignments, faceoffs, but seemed to clutch the puck and defer too much in the offensive zone. He's knocked off the puck too easily at times though, or at least was with us. He CAN be better, and I have faith he will eventually.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Fun play. That broadcaster was like barely one step above the "boom goes the dynamite" kid though. :laugh:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Tonight was weird. Slavin-Pesce (mostly Slavin) even looked a little shaky, but they managed to completely shut down the P. Kane at the same time.

A large part of that is just who they were playing against. The Hawks are one of the most offensively dynamic teams in the NHL, any defense is gonna have to scramble to keep up with them. While the Dahlbeck-Murphy pairing scared the s*** out of me on several occasions, even they managed to hold up fairly well in the end (with an assist or ten from Cam).

It was a gutty win, fun to watch in person, and is a great sign that this team can compete with the best.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The highlights are interesting. For whatever reason, the league started using the respective team's broadcast for goals, so when Chicago scores, their broadcast is used for the highlight, and vise versa.

But watching their goals, I'm fairly certain their broadcast either artificially pumps in noise when the Hawks score, or their broadcast is louder in general. Because while I know there were a lot of Chicago fans there tonight, the broadcast makes it sound like a Chicago home game, complete with goal song.

EQV

Aug 2, 2011
The amount of asshurt in the 'Canes Twitter replies right now is colossal.

Amazing how everyone is suddenly a Hawks fan when 7 years ago you couldn't find 10 of them in the stands when they came to Raleigh.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The highlights are interesting. For whatever reason, the league started using the respective team's broadcast for goals, so when Chicago scores, their broadcast is used for the highlight, and vise versa.

But watching their goals, I'm fairly certain their broadcast either artificially pumps in noise when the Hawks score, or their broadcast is louder in general. Because while I know there were a lot of Chicago fans there tonight, the broadcast makes it sound like a Chicago home game, complete with goal song.

The WGN feed was noticeably louder. Pat Foley got drowned out after McClement scored (~1:38).

https://www.nhl.com/video/hawks-fall-short-vs-hurricanes/t-277443702/c-47913703?q=chi+recap

As a side note, I got a very basic HT system for Christmas. Flipping back and forth between the feeds, I was struck by how good the WGN broadcast sounded. They must amplify the game sound. It was like sitting inside the arena. The Fox Sports broadcast, in comparison, was rather underwhelming. It was pretty quiet overall and there was little coming out of the rear speakers.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Canes win, flyers lose. Good times. That puts Carolina 5 points out of the last wild card spot with 3 games in hand... I'm no math wizard (thanks for the first round Mike) but does that count as "controlling their destiny"? Is it still too early to even make that call?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2