Post-Game Talk: Fri., Nov. 1, 2013|Capitals 7 at Flyers 0

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Newly acquired Avalance Max Talbot on his new team, with reference to his old one:

""It was fun, exciting," Talbot said. "I liked the atmosphere where even though they came back 2-2 in the third, the bench was just even keel. We just didn't panic and went for it. That's the feeling of a winning team, a team that's confident, a team that plays with a little bit of a spark, and it was a good feeling."

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I heard there were some riots, assaults etc.

Watched the video and saw a normal line brawl. I don't get it, aswell as the whole Scott/Kaleta-threads.

I simply don't understand whats the big deal is about it, they get there penalties and boom, problem solved. But people actually want to imprison or ban these players for life.

I don't get it and i'm from Sweden.

Emery literally skated across the whole rink to jump another player who had no interest in fighting and didn't instigate anything in any way. It's not that hard to grasp. Beyond that, Holtby has no fighting experience and is a far worse fighter then Emery.

People say that it would be stupid to charge Emery for assault, but that's what would happen if what he did occurred on the street instead of a professional level.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
isnt this the type of game that gets people sacked? yet Homer still has a job.

I am shocked he still has a job, this proves he will never be fired under Senile Snider.

Those Talbot quotes sure say a lot about this team make I as well.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
Emery literally skated across the whole rink to jump another player who had no interest in fighting and didn't instigate anything in any way. It's not that hard to grasp. Beyond that, Holtby has no fighting experience and is a far worse fighter then Emery.

Plus you normally see a goalie fight after everyone else on the ice is already fighting. There was ONE fight going on when Emery skated the length of the ice.

I love fighting in hockey but that wasn't a fight it was an attack.

Last edited:

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
just when you thought last season was as bad as it gets, it gets worse.

Trade everyone.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
What Emery did may not have been acceptable but what I don't see getting talked about much is how the fighting all started after Simmonds made two good clean hits and then the Capitals went after him. This is something that seems to happen a lot anymore in the NHL. Does anyone else have a problem with how players cant seem to take good clean hits anymore? I understand fighting after a bad hit but a lot of the time anymore it seems like after a big clean hit a fight is started. The sad thing in last nights game is that the two hits just prior to the fights weren't even that big of hits.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
What Emery did may not have been acceptable but what I don't see getting talked about much is how the fighting all started after Simmonds made two good clean hits and then the Capitals went after him. This is something that seems to happen a lot anymore in the NHL. Does anyone else have a problem with how players cant seem to take good clean hits anymore? I understand fighting after a bad hit but a lot of the time anymore it seems like after a big clean hit a fight is started. The sad thing in last nights game is that the two hits just prior to the fights weren't even that big of hits.

I love that Simmonds was still playing, just for the sake of having something positive to say, I'll throw that out there. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy the Simmonds was already keen to do it before Simmonds even made that check. Apparently Simmonds had been running his mouth quite a bit before that, and we all know how he plays.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Are we really happy that Simmonds finally showed up for a shift in the third period? Where the hell was he for the rest of the game? He sure wasn't covering his man when he was supposed to. I'd much rather give accolades to a guy like Downie who fought a guy who hit one of our guys than to Simmonds for suddenly waking up at 7-0 down.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I love that Simmonds was still playing, just for the sake of having something positive to say, I'll throw that out there. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy the Simmonds was already keen to do it before Simmonds even made that check. Apparently Simmonds had been running his mouth quite a bit before that, and we all know how he plays.

That is very true about Simmonds but this whole fighting after a clean hit is an ongoing thing. I actually remember it happening a number of times in a preseason game I watched which coincidentally involved the Capitals (I forget the other team). It is something I have seen mentioned a couple times on NHL Network. Just something I have a problem with. It seems like players can't take a clean check anymore without needing to fight afterward.

You made a good point about Simmonds though. He does run his mouth A LOT and is almost always willing to drop the gloves.

Edit: The preseason game took place on 9/23

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
On one hand what Emery did was a total bullsh*t move. On the other, I found the whole thing a hilarious tribute to my beloved Danbury Trashers (google the name). I'm such a horrible person.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Are we really happy that Simmonds finally showed up for a shift in the third period? Where the hell was he for the rest of the game? He sure wasn't covering his man when he was supposed to. I'd much rather give accolades to a guy like Downie who fought a guy who hit one of our guys than to Simmonds for suddenly waking up at 7-0 down.

Well, to be fair it's more like where the hell has he been all season?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't get to see this one live, unfortunately. I saw a replay of the fights but what sparked it? I'm assuming something to do with Downie's injury?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the replay. Damn, that looks like he got poppsed right in the 'ol eyeball.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't get to see this one live, unfortunately. I saw a replay of the fights but what sparked it? I'm assuming something to do with Downie's injury?

Simmonds and Tom Wilson got into a fight, and Ray Emery decided he was going to be dick and go jump the other goalie. No more, no less. Downie had nothing to do with it.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Downie got injured fighting.

They fought because we were getting blown out and shutout and our team sucks. They were all frustrated so they basically said "**** it, let's punch some people". Obviously I'm kidding a bit but it was just them being frustrated.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca

People say that it would be stupid to charge Emery for assault, but that's what would happen if what he did occurred on the street instead of a professional level.

Well this is not the street, so get over it. With your logic every cross check is assault with a deadly weapon. Holtby threw the first punch and the second punch.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well this is not the street, so get over it. With your logic every cross check is assault with a deadly weapon. Holtby threw the first punch and the second punch.

There's some classic delusion. Acting as if it's Holtby's fault he got jumped.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Simmonds and Tom Wilson got into a fight, and Ray Emery decided he was going to be dick and go jump the other goalie. No more, no less. Downie had nothing to do with it.

I'm all for that. Getting their ***** kicked that bad, why not pound in some faces?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad