Post-Game Talk: Fri., Nov. 1, 2013|Capitals 7 at Flyers 0

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Hopefully those fights will get the team going. I personally don't mind what Emery did to Holtby either. The goalie was hitting his stick across the goal posts like Hextall a few times that night (I don't know if that was his norm?) and he deserved to get his face beat in. If you want to act tough you got to back it up.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hopefully those fights will get the team going. I personally don't mind what Emery did to Holtby either. The goalie was hitting his stick across the goal posts like Hextall a few times that night (I don't know if that was his norm?) and he deserved to get his face beat in. If you want to act tough you got to back it up.

o_O

Don't even know what to say to this. From a guy who did nothing wrong deserving to get his face beat in to banging a goalie stick on his own goal posts as acting tough.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

He wasn't hitting his stick against the posts "like Hextall" to act tough (most goalies I know do this occaisonally btw). When you're wearing a mask your peripheral vision is blocked a lot. So as you're in the crease looking at the play in front of you, if you don't want to take your eyes off the action, a lot of times you'll just tap the pipes with your stick to feel them, and make sure your net is where you think it is before you skate forward to start playing your angles. If you don't do this and you lose your net, you can get scored on while you're way out of position. Which sucks of course. Some guys just do it so much it becomes a tic/ritual. It's certainly not a Hextall specific behavior.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I've liked Holtby ever since he did this
pev.gif

Glad he didn't get hurt in that fight.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Yeah, this doesn't sound archaic at all.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Those fights were awesome & the only time I've been excited this year for the most part.

Rayzor should have let up on Holtby but I don't fault him for trying to get something going. It's been a frustrating year so far.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I gotta say it's funny how the league is "trying to weed out staged fights" and then they let Emery do what he did to Holtby. I think it was a gutless and dick move on Emery's part and he should've gotten a suspension for it, but I don't care too much, really. I've never been one to preach moral sanctity and the team clearly isn't built to win "fair play" competitions. It just boggles my mind he got third star.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I gotta say it's funny how the league is "trying to weed out staged fights" and then they let Emery do what he did to Holtby. I think it was a gutless and dick move on Emery's part and he should've gotten a suspension for it, but I don't care too much, really. I've never been one to preach moral sanctity and the team clearly isn't built to win "fair play" competitions. It just boggles my mind he got third star.

Are you implying that our team is built with the intention of cheating to win? As for the third star, Frank Seravalli gave it to him as a tongue-in-cheek thing. Frank Seravalli is an idiot for that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Aside from Emery, people on twitter watching said that for the most part, that whole melee started because a Caps player jumped a Flyers player. Truth? If so, why the hell aren't they getting crap for gooning it up?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Aside from Emery, people on twitter watching said that for the most part, that whole melee started because a Caps player jumped a Flyers player. Truth? If so, why the hell aren't they getting crap for gooning it up?

To me – and this is from only watching after-the-fact video – Simmonds looked intent on being aggressive and knocking heads, and was definitely ready to fight. Technically, a Capital was the first to drop the gloves.

As for Emery, I wouldn't have been disappointed if he had been told to sit for a game by Shanahan, but like Bruce Arthur said in his weekend column, there is no mechanism within the rules for a suspension. In fact, the rules are too precise in the Aggressor (46.2) rule: three times in one regular season warrants two games, and goes from there.

I don't like what Emery did, but the refs / linesmen should have stepped in much earlier.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, I don't know about that. Simmonds was a human wrecking ball and Wilson decided to do something about it. If roles were reversed and Wilson was destroying everything I'd be relieved to see someone step in and stop it.

I thought what both players did was pretty great. Simmonds was a man possessed trying to spark his team, and Wilson took what I would consider a smart fight there.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
All I know is that it takes 2 people to fight, other than Emery beating on Holtby I thought the other fights had both participants willing to go toe to toe. Caps fans were calling the Flyers goons, the only goonish(hope this is a word...lol)thing I witnessed was from Emery and goalies are rarely noted as goons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad