Proposal: fresh take on weber/toews/krecji 3 way.... warning wall of text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
tried to put together one of the craziest trade ideas ive ever had cross my mind... not sure how close I got to something worth discussing... but what the heck... might as well share it and let everyone mock me

so... the idea here is to get shea weber to boston. honestly his contract doesn't concern me. a 7.857 mill cap hit is actually good bargain now for a number 1 dman. john carlsson just proved that 8 is what you pay for a tweener now. being signed for 8 years at age 32... that concerns me BUT his real cash in his last 3 years is just 1 mill. you just know Nashville would bend over backwards to take him back at that time and make him super comfortable so he wont go and retire early on them

so I have no fear we can move weber when he hits 37-38... and until he does, I really don't fear that he would remain a great top pairing dman.

imagine weber and krug as a first pair here... weber has all the skills necessary to protect krug and help krug shine. then have McAvoy in the second pair as he develops... that's cup caliber defense

so id love to get weber but I don't imagine montreal and boston would ever trade directly. they need a 3rd party

enter Chicago. what is Chicago up to now? do they want to reload and try to win more cups with kane and keith? or are they rebuilding? one thing we know... their cap situation is ugly.

montreal has a lot of cap room as they attempt to rebuild. and montreal has targeted the need to get a center or 2 to do their rebuild.

I bet a lot of people can see where im headed so I will lay out my thoughts

step 1... Chicago trades with montreal

johnathon toews 5 years X 10.5 mill
brooks seabrook 6 years X 6.875 mill
and the marian hossa contract 3 x 5.275 {can be on ir}

Montreal gives Chicago
Shea Weber 8x7.57
Karl Alzner 4x4.65
Andrew shaw4x3.9

its a bit of shuffling deckchairs with only 2 desirable contracts involved... but alzner and shaw might rebound on a better team? seabrook is a real character leader and would be great for a role model for young team rebuilding.

now comes the trade with boston.

shea weber 8X7.57
artim anisimov 3x4.55 {1.55 mill retained}

for

david krejci 3x7.25
brandon carlo 1x.789
Jakob forsbaka karlsson 1x.916

Chicago replaces toews at a much cheaper price for kane and keiths last few years at their peak... adds a couple very nice rebuilding pieces at very manageable cap hit. Chicago positions themselves to go after panarin

the net effect for Chicago
out
toews
seabrook
hossa
anisomov
at 25.65 mill for the next 3 years
in
krejci
carlo
karlsson
shaw
alzner
at around 20 mill after carlo gets his next deal... leaving around 5-6 mill to put towards panarin. I say Chicago definitely comes out looking good

montreal… moves 2 guys that clearly didn't work and their lightning rod currently injured big name problem. they can now clear the air for a rebuild. and I think they will fall in love with toews as he ages gracefully into that jean bevelieau/saku koivu type guy thy are farmilar with in montreal as a face of the franchise. I think they would like this trade

I feel boston fans would complain the most. weber is currently injured and hes older. older = bad here in this forum. I could point out till im blue in the face how good chara was for us the past 8 years... it wont matter.

anisimov I think would be the underrated part of this trade... holding down the second line spot until studnicka can take over. with cap retained a 3 mill hit would be great value. of course fans on a prospect site will want to rip me a new one for giving away 2 kids like carlo and karlsson… but if we could get weber this cheap it will be a huge steal

theres a couple ntc here that might scuttle the trade... but for the sake of debate I am going to say everyone waves. no sense even posting if that wasn't a given.

I am curious... does anyone think I did ok for their team? any outsiders want to comment? or will everyone tell me what I already know 'trades like this never happen' and just tell me to get back to nhl 2018 {I wish I owned an nhl game but sadly have to do all my fantasy trading here sorry}

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
MTL gets absolutely shafted by Chicago there. Seabrook is falling off massively, Toews is nowhere near worth the cap hit he's at anymore and Hosea contract is less than worthless.

Shea Weber is still a good Defenseman. Sure his term is too long but considering risk of retirement lands on Nash I don't see that being a huge issue. Andrew Shaw is actually still a fairly valuable piece for MTL. I hate the guys guts from his days in Chicago, but he's still effective most of the time. Alzner is a dump but less of a dump than Seabrook.

I would be willing to bet MTL would be more enticed to acquire Anisimov and make the move proposed with Chicago and Boston and leave out Chicago.

Last edited:

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I didn't know the Hawks had a player named Brooks Seabrook. They do have Brent Seabrook. This is a decent trade as long as Boston is on board with it. I can see Montreal jumping quick to this trade but not sure Boston would.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
tried to put together one of the craziest trade ideas ive ever had cross my mind... not sure how close I got to something worth discussing... but what the heck... might as well share it and let everyone mock me

so... the idea here is to get shea weber to boston. honestly his contract doesn't concern me. a 7.857 mill cap hit is actually good bargain now for a number 1 dman. john carlsson just proved that 8 is what you pay for a tweener now. being signed for 8 years at age 32... that concerns me BUT his real cash in his last 3 years is just 1 mill. you just know Nashville would bend over backwards to take him back at that time and make him super comfortable so he wont go and retire early on them

so I have no fear we can move weber when he hits 37-38... and until he does, I really don't fear that he would remain a great top pairing dman.

imagine weber and krug as a first pair here... weber has all the skills necessary to protect krug and help krug shine. then have McAvoy in the second pair as he develops... that's cup caliber defense

so id love to get weber but I don't imagine montreal and boston would ever trade directly. they need a 3rd party

enter Chicago. what is Chicago up to now? do they want to reload and try to win more cups with kane and keith? or are they rebuilding? one thing we know... their cap situation is ugly.

montreal has a lot of cap room as they attempt to rebuild. and montreal has targeted the need to get a center or 2 to do their rebuild.

Montreal gives Chicago
Shea Weber 8x7.57
Karl Alzner 4x4.65
Andrew shaw4x3.9

its a bit of shuffling deckchairs with only 2 desirable contracts involved... but alzner and shaw might rebound on a better team? seabrook is a real character leader and would be great for a role model for young team rebuilding.

shea weber 8X7.57

for

david krejci 3x7.25
brandon carlo 1x.789

Chicago replaces toews at a much cheaper price for kane and keiths last few years at their peak... adds a couple very nice rebuilding pieces at very manageable cap hit. Chicago positions themselves to go after panarin

out
toews
seabrook
hossa
anisomov
in
krejci
carlo
karlsson
shaw
alzner
at around 20 mill after carlo gets his next deal... leaving around 5-6 mill to put towards panarin. I say Chicago definitely comes out looking good

montreal… moves 2 guys that clearly didn't work and their lightning rod currently injured big name problem. they can now clear the air for a rebuild. and I think they will fall in love with toews as he ages gracefully into that jean bevelieau/saku koivu type guy thy are farmilar with in montreal as a face of the franchise. I think they would like this trade

I feel boston fans would complain the most. weber is currently injured and hes older. older = bad here in this forum. I could point out till im blue in the face how good chara was for us the past 8 years... it wont matter.

anisimov I think would be the underrated part of this trade... holding down the second line spot until studnicka can take over. with cap retained a 3 mill hit would be great value. of course fans on a prospect site will want to rip me a new one for giving away 2 kids like carlo and karlsson… but if we could get weber this cheap it will be a huge steal

theres a couple ntc here that might scuttle the trade... but for the sake of debate I am going to say everyone waves. no sense even posting if that wasn't a given.

I am curious... does anyone think I did ok for their team? any outsiders want to comment? or will everyone tell me what I already know 'trades like this never happen' and just tell me to get back to nhl 2018 {I wish I owned an nhl game but sadly have to do all my fantasy trading here sorry}
Bruins fan i can see. Habs get bent over hard on this one. A big easy NO from the Habs.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
MTL gets absolutely shafted by Chicago there. Seabrook is falling off massively, Toews is nowhere near worth the cap hit he's at anymore and Hosea contract is less than worthless.

Shea Weber is still a good Defenseman. Sure his term is too long but considering risk of retirement lands on Nash I don't see that being a huge issue. Andrew Shaw is actually still a fairly valuable piece for MTL. I hate the guys guts from his days in Chicago, but he's still effective most of the time. Alzheimer's is a dump but less of a dump than Seabrook.

I would be willing to bet MTL would be more enticed to acquire Anisimov and make the move proposed with Chicago and Boston and leave out Chicago.

im not on expert on montreal other than to say ive listened to their talk shows quite a lot the past 3 weeks or so... seems a horrible amount of unrest and desperation in their fan base/media... so much calling for the head of their gm for failing to get a number 1 center

it might not be the best trade ever I have given them... but politically it might be the trade the gm needs to make. casual fans {and there are a lot of them} will still give seabrook name recognition value even if us die hards here in the forums know his best before date has expired.

and I actually think hossa might come out of 'retirement' at some point if hes on a team with no cap worries. I feel its very fishy his whole skin thing. I think that hes doing his team a 'favor' with their cap by sitting at home.

the dude still has game. to me hes a wildcard here. a chance to be part of a rebuild of one of the if not THY most storied franchise in nhl history... a chance to end his career as a jaromir jagr type legacy...

at worst... he simply sits on the ltir and it doesn't matter to a team that is no where near the cap ceiling. but hossa could be the key to turning this into a landslide win for montreal if I was right about my hunch that he could be talked into playing again

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Hawks say no, quite easily.

surprises me... but thanks for the reply

definitely represents a huge shakeup in the core for Chicago. but they are the only team in recent memory to shake up their core this much... and come right back to win a cup

if anyone management group/core of players can rebound and win another with the right injection of youth and fresh faces I think Chicago has the best chance of doing it

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So Seabrook is easily the least valuable piece in this deal, Alzner would come in 2nd but there's quite a gap. Toews might come in at 3rd in that regard, and Habs give up the best piece listed in this series of deals. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Bergevin doesn't make good hockey trades, but man does that first trade ever screw Montreal hard. Like, there isn't even a salvageable basis for a trade there.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins fan i can see. Habs get bent over hard on this one. A big easy NO from the Habs.

wondering what your main concern is? I see weber potentially looking to take an early retirement as his money drops to nothing and he faces the distasteful reality of being blamed for the pk subban trade the next few years of his career. heaven only help the situation if he remains injury prone

are you just against the trade because you feel another team would gift you something better than toews for weber?

are you opposed to alzner for seabrook? seabrook carries the bigger price hit... but does that matter? are you suggesting alzner is a good a piece for montreal?

maybe its shaw that bothers you? honestly I threw him in 100% as a cap dump. if montreal wanted to keep him id say take him out. I think Chicago would rather he wasn't included since I believe they will go after pannarin if they have the cap room

so im guessing your opposition is just because you don't like toews for weber... and you are entitled... I was just curious your reason... but if that's your position thanks for sharing

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So Seabrook is easily the least valuable piece in this deal, Alzner would come in 2nd but there's quite a gap. Toews might come in at 3rd in that regard, and Habs give up the best piece listed in this series of deals. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

if im boston and im trading for each of those pieces... I will tell you its not how I value them

but that's why trade decesions are so fun... thanks for sharing

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bergevin doesn't make good hockey trades, but man does that first trade ever screw Montreal hard. Like, there isn't even a salvageable basis for a trade there.

im thinking montreals motive should be... accept the rebuild... commit to the idea you will finish with top 5 lottery picks the next 2-3 seasons... pull the trigger on a patches trade... maybe even shop carey price

but as the new kids filter in you have to have some proven professional winners in your locker room to say hello. you need a positive atmosphere to let your kids come in and be protected as they begin the next era

Chicago has been the best winning culture in hockey the past decade... and captain hockey and mr seabrook have wildly been acknowledged as the leaders in that dressing room.

if you tell me montreal could do better... I can get behind that... maybe they can

but to say they are getting screwed over... I don't buy that at all. they can finish as a bottom feeder with a bunch of mismatched locker room personalities like they have now... a bunch of lightning rods for the fans displeasure to be cast on... or they can get on with the business of rebuilding and target premium assets that can aid a rebuild process

the true key to the rebuild will be to draft right though and give the kids a good environment to join

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
wondering what your main concern is? I see weber potentially looking to take an early retirement as his money drops to nothing and he faces the distasteful reality of being blamed for the pk subban trade the next few years of his career. heaven only help the situation if he remains injury prone

are you just against the trade because you feel another team would gift you something better than toews for weber?

are you opposed to alzner for seabrook? seabrook carries the bigger price hit... but does that matter? are you suggesting alzner is a good a piece for montreal?

maybe its shaw that bothers you? honestly I threw him in 100% as a cap dump. if montreal wanted to keep him id say take him out. I think Chicago would rather he wasn't included since I believe they will go after pannarin if they have the cap room

so im guessing your opposition is just because you don't like toews for weber... and you are entitled... I was just curious your reason... but if that's your position thanks for sharing
Well i believe that Weber has more value than Toews even with the longer contract because most know that Weber will retire before the contract ends and the recapture penalty is not our problem.
As for Seabrook. No i'm not suggesting that alzner is a good a piece for montreal but i would take 4 yrs of Alzner over 6 yrs of Seabrook easily and twice on Sunday.
Shaw doesn't hurt us and can easily be traded for some pick/picks or other Assets.
Hossa will never play again.
Like i said the proposal is Terrible for the Habs ,great for the Bruins and even Hawk fans hate it.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
im thinking montreals motive should be... accept the rebuild... commit to the idea you will finish with top 5 lottery picks the next 2-3 seasons... pull the trigger on a patches trade... maybe even shop carey price

but as the new kids filter in you have to have some proven professional winners in your locker room to say hello. you need a positive atmosphere to let your kids come in and be protected as they begin the next era

Chicago has been the best winning culture in hockey the past decade... and captain hockey and mr seabrook have wildly been acknowledged as the leaders in that dressing room.

if you tell me montreal could do better... I can get behind that... maybe they can

but to say they are getting screwed over... I don't buy that at all. they can finish as a bottom feeder with a bunch of mismatched locker room personalities like they have now... a bunch of lightning rods for the fans displeasure to be cast on... or they can get on with the business of rebuilding and target premium assets that can aid a rebuild process

the true key to the rebuild will be to draft right though and give the kids a good environment to join

If Montreal's committing to the rebuild, this trade makes no sense. They're getting older and reducing their cap flexibility in order to... what? More culture crap?

Acquiring locker room guys is massively overrated. And Montreal isn't going to trade the guys they brought in to "fix" the locker room (Weber, Shaw, Alzner) in order to "fix" the locker room. Weber, Shaw and Alzner are all good locker room guys.

If Weber's being traded, its for good futures. Montreal can and will eat a bad contract to move him so long as the term isn't egregious, but they'd need rebuild assets.

Also, why is Chicago involved in this at all?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well i believe that Weber has more value than Toews even with the longer contract because most know that Weber will retire before the contract ends and the recapture penalty is not our problem.
As for Seabrook. No i'm not suggesting that alzner is a good a piece for montreal but i would take 4 yrs of Alzner over 6 yrs of Seabrook easily and twice on Sunday.
Shaw doesn't hurt us and can easily be traded for some pick/picks or other Assets.
Hossa will never play again.
Like i said the proposal is Terrible for the Habs ,great for the Bruins and even Hawk fans hate it.

weber going through a serious leg injury might make a lot of fans very leary. being out now for almost a year by the time he plays his next game...

im willing to gamble because at worst I would end up putting him on the ltir if he becomes broken and then sacrifice an asset to convince a bottom feeder to take him.

your idea of having him retire.. probably wont happen. I cant remember any hockey player ever shafting his legacy. if he retires he will be vilified in Nashville.

he might end up on an ltir like ohlund… Savard... pronger… hossa so many others... but actually retiring and screwing his team over isn't likely to happen

if he is now... damaged goods... montreal might be needing to give up a very valuable asset to move his contract

or just stuck with him... they have a lot of money and cap space so no need to move him... but the longer he stays the more heat is on the management/ownership

how long can it continue without a ticket revolt? before ratings drop on tv? this is more than just what a guy can or cant do on the ice... this is about the confidence one of the most volatile fan bases in the nhl has in its institution

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If Montreal's committing to the rebuild, this trade makes no sense. They're getting older and reducing their cap flexibility in order to... what? More culture crap?

Acquiring locker room guys is massively overrated. And Montreal isn't going to trade the guys they brought in to "fix" the locker room (Weber, Shaw, Alzner) in order to "fix" the locker room. Weber, Shaw and Alzner are all good locker room guys.

If Weber's being traded, its for good futures. Montreal can and will eat a bad contract to move him so long as the term isn't egregious, but they'd need rebuild assets.

some people clearly overrate locker room guys and a lot more people clearly underrate it. most nhl teams put a very appropriate value on it and consider it extremely important

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
some people clearly overrate locker room guys and a lot more people clearly underrate it. most nhl teams put a very appropriate value on it and consider it extremely important

Fine, but you're talking about a trade of locker room guys for locker room guys. Whether you overrate or underrate guys like that, unless you've spent ample time in every locker room in the NHL over a period of years, you would have no way of judging who the better locker room guys are.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I didn't know the Hawks had a player named Brooks Seabrook. They do have Brent Seabrook. This is a decent trade as long as Boston is on board with it. I can see Montreal jumping quick to this trade but not sure Boston would.

This is HF, how did you not know of Brooks Seabrook? Tell me you've heard of Dylan Storm and Ekmund Larsson in another thread. LOL on topic....

I just cant see something like this offer happening.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
weber going through a serious leg injury might make a lot of fans very leary. being out now for almost a year by the time he plays his next game...

im willing to gamble because at worst I would end up putting him on the ltir if he becomes broken and then sacrifice an asset to convince a bottom feeder to take him.

your idea of having him retire.. probably wont happen. I cant remember any hockey player ever shafting his legacy. if he retires he will be vilified in Nashville.

he might end up on an ltir like ohlund… Savard... pronger… hossa so many others... but actually retiring and screwing his team over isn't likely to happen

what happened to this:

if he is now... damaged goods... montreal might be needing to give up a very valuable asset to move his contract

Or he can be waived and ride the bus in Laval if he doesn't want to retire.

or just stuck with him... they have a lot of money and cap space so no need to move him... but the longer he stays the more heat is on the management/ownership

Not trading Weber isn't going to increase the heat on management and ownership more than trading him in a non-rebuilding move.

how long can it continue without a ticket revolt? before ratings drop on tv? this is more than just what a guy can or cant do on the ice... this is about the confidence one of the most volatile fan bases in the nhl has in its institution

Weber isn't the target for ticket revolt, management is. The major feeling towards the roster is apathy, not anger. And there is a ticket revolt already.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
if im boston and im trading for each of those pieces... I will tell you its not how I value them

but that's why trade decesions are so fun... thanks for sharing

Well, Krejci and Weber probably have pretty similar value at this point but I'd say Weber has an edge, and Toews is the best player, but his contract is deadly. One way or the other, I feel Montreal is taking a serious value loss. Even if you look at Toews/Weber as a wash which I disagree with, I'd rather ride out Alzner and Shaw than take Seabrook

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
Krejci is a better player than Weber. Boston's offence and defence will take a step back without him. Boston don't need another older Dman with Chara in the team. Chara can coach the younger players.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
So is this the Dylan Storm and Oliver Ekmund-Larsson rumour I keep hearing about from OP’s another trade proposal?

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Montreal gives Chicago
Shea Weber 8x7.57
Karl Alzner 4x4.65
Andrew shaw4x3.9

shea weber 8X7.57

for

david krejci 3x7.25
brandon carlo 1x.789

out
toews
seabrook
hossa
anisomov
in
krejci
carlo
karlsson
shaw
alzner

as a habs fan, i'll say this as politely as possible. absolutely f***ing brutal for Mtl

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Yeah I agree about the "locker room guy" stuff, it's gotten very cringeworthy.

Every other signing Holland makes is because "he's a great locker room guy with leadership presence and brings veteran experience"

Like a broken record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad