Tennis: French Open/2020

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yet another early break, 3-1 for Rafa. This is getting monotonous. Diego almost never goes down the line with any authority. He isn't giving Nadal anything to have to think about.

They trade breaks, Diego wimping out at love, 4-2. Schwartzman has now been broken six times in 12 service games.

Unscheduled detour as Rafa gets broken again, 4-3 back on serve. I want Rafa to win but I don't think I will be betting against Nole on Sunday.

Breaker as both these guys summon some energy they seemed to lack earlier in the set.

Diego is his own worst enemy in the breaker and Rafa wins it 7-love. On to the final.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Yeah I like Novak's chances in the final too. It would also go a long way to his GOAT argument, defeating Rafa twice in the French Open would be incredibly impressive.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set to Nole, 6-3. Pretty even play except for a single break point allowed by Stefanos; he actually had more opportunities than Novak. No sign of any lingering neck or arm problems for Nole.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
When Nole is just sailing along like this, he has such a gorgeous game to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole blows a match point at 5-4, Stefanos finally converts a break point (1-11) and now a breaker looms.

...but it ddoesn't get to a breaker as Tsitsipas breaks again, 7-5.

Unexpected or what?

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So what would have been a little more than a nice two hour workout for Djokovic becomes something else. As for Tsitsipas, if you give a mouse a cookie.....

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Holy shit. Tsitsipas who earlier in the match couldn't buy a break point conversion to safe his soul, suddenly has three in a row, 2-love in the fourth set....can't convert, though, 2-1. Note to self: the sky is not falling.

5-4 on serve. Stefanos has saved five break points in his last two service games; Nole has attempted 22 drop shots for the match winning most of them.

Nole 1/11 in converting break point opportunities in the 4th set.

It's going to a fifth set, 6-4. Wow.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Yeah Djoko is throwing the match, tournament and potentially the opportunity to grab a big slice of the GOAT argument away.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Two hours after his first match point, Nole wins the match 5-1 in the fifth. Not ideal, obviously, but he still has to be a firm favourite over Rafa in the final especially as it is supposed to get colder in Paris on Sunday, definitely not Rafa weather.

Next Gens still trying to get over the hump.

Oct 18, 2006
Now that the final is set, you get Nadal getting #20 or Novak getting a second career slam (2x winner at each GS).

Either way, some neat history unfolding.
It’s absolutely massive, either way. History.

Obviously want my man Djoko to win, but if Nadal does happen to win, #20 and tying Federer raises more GOAT questions. Huge.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It’s absolutely massive, either way. History.

Obviously want my man Djoko to win, but if Nadal does happen to win, #20 and tying Federer raises more GOAT questions. Huge.
Djokovic will take the GOAT crown eventually because he'll get a lot more kicks at the can as the youngest of the three.

Between Rafa and Fed, I have to lean towards Fed, who has 5+ wins at three of the four majors, even if Rafa happens to pip him for total majors (if he can squeak one more should he win on Sunday). No question Rafa is GOAT on a single surface, though.

Oct 18, 2006
Djokovic will take the GOAT crown eventually because he'll get a lot more kicks at the can as the youngest of the three.

Between Rafa and Fed, I have to lean towards Fed, who has 5+ wins at three of the four majors, even if Rafa happens to pip him for total majors (if he can squeak one more should he win on Sunday). No question Rafa is GOAT on a single surface, though.
It’ll be funny to see people sway from “highest Slam count = GOAT” to “too dominant at one Slam to be GOAT”.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It’ll be funny to see people sway from “highest Slam count = GOAT” to “too dominant at one Slam to be GOAT”.
I'm rooting for Rafa because I want Roger and Nadal to both have 20 slams because I enjoy each of them so much, but I have already voiced agreement for the too dominant on one surface position just to let you know I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. :laugh: ` It seems a reasonable argument to me. However I will open a good bottle of wine if Rafa wins on Sunday and will be glad that Rafa is now officially tied with Roger, and I have a feeling it would likely stay that way, too. If Nole gets there, that would be great as well, in which circumstance I would think he might actually have the best case of the three.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

The majority of tennis surfaces in the world are actually clay. Fair representation at Majors would have 2 Clay surfaces and 30+ majors for Nadal.

Ie. Don't begrudge him his French dominance.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rooting for and also picking Swiatek today, a bit nervously perhaps. She has just been too dominant on her best surface, really clobbering some very good players. Plus she already has a win at Roland Garros over Kenin, albeit in juniours in 2016. Kenin has experience at this level and desire and is one smart, well-schooled player, so I I certainly wouldn't write off her chances completely.

Nobody in their right mind would begrudge Rafa his status as greatest player on a single surface in tennis history, and by light years. His is a remarkable achievement, enough for many to consider him GOAT. I can well understand that, and even sympathize with it to a degree but I don't think he has the career achievements that Roger does. So Roger remains GOAT in my eyes. Maybe we should just all be thankful that we were around to watch both of them play and leave it at that.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kenin in tears ALREADY. Then breaks back as Iga shows some nerves, 3-2.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
5-3 Swiatek serving for the set. All her lovely freedom of movement departed for awhile but she seems to be getting it back....maybe.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga blows a set point and loses her serve but breaks right back for the set 6-4. Both girls still feeling a lot of nerves.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Iga Swiatek's forehand has to be one of the least visually appealing I've ever witnessed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga looking really good again, 4-1, having survived a questionabble bathroom break by Kenin....really got her mojo back this set, such beautiful shots, 6-1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad