Tennis: French Open/2020

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's really weird to see cases rising in Europe and still having the French Open happen.

Just for context, back in late May when the tournament was supposed to start, France was seeing about 300-400 cases a day. They're currently at about 10K cases per day and rising rapidly.

The "precaution" being used is reducing attendance to 5K on the grounds.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
It's really weird to see cases rising in Europe and still having the French Open happen.

Just for context, back in late May when the tournament was supposed to start, France was seeing about 300-400 cases a day. They're currently at about 10K cases per day and rising rapidly.

The "precaution" being used is reducing attendance to 5K on the grounds.

Yeah, there is no way they should be allowing people to watch matches. I don't think the tourney should be played regardless, people are too complacent right now and the numbers are increasing everywhere.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Diez into the final round of qualifying.

Schnur will play his second round match later today to try and join him.

Polansky lost his first round match yesterday.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draws are out.

Wawrinka/Murray R1.

Cilic/Thiem R1.

Thiem is in Nadal's half.

Djokovic with a nice draw.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Belinda Bencic, Milos Raonic, Fernando Verdasco and Kyle Edmund have all withdrawn from Roland Garros this week.

Milos says it's preventive, not an injury issue. Why would he do that when there's been so little tennis this year?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draws - Roland-Garros - The 2020 Roland-Garros Tournament official site

If I have this right, Nadal could face Evans, Fognini, Zverev, Thiem and Djokovic to win the title.
Djokovic would face Hurkacz, Garin, Bautista-Agut, Tsitsipas, Nadal to win the title.

On current form, I like Djokovic but even though he looked ordinary in Rome, it would be foolish to underrate Rafa. The past ten days or so better be time well spent, though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Belinda Bencic, Milos Raonic, Fernando Verdasco and Kyle Edmund have all withdrawn from Roland Garros this week.

Milos says it's preventive, not an injury issue. Why would he do that when there's been so little tennis this year?

Yeah, makes little sense to miss this one, even if it's not your best surface.

I believe Shanghai has been cancelled, with Paris being the only remaining Masters series event. Raonic isn't getting to London (if it happens). Not sure what he'd be saving himself for, unless there's others events that may bet added to the calendar.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jack Sock qualifies...didn't think we'd ever see that. :laugh:

He’s been better recently. I’d expect a big rise in the rankings. He’s clearly too good to be in the 200’s and 300’s. He should be able to regain a ranking in the top 20-30, but he ruined his chance to win a slam or be a consistent top 10 player after how bad he’s been in recent years.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie is the only Canadian in action today. She'll play in a bit after the Coric match on her court.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad