WC: Free YT Live streams to be delayed 30 minutes (Geo-blocking was being bypassed)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Dear IIHF,

As an American based fan of international hockey, I shall abide by all legal means to watch your games and thus as you wish, not watch any of them except the American ones.

Exactly. NBC owns the rights to all the games but they're only broadcasting the US ones. So what's someone in the US who wants to watch the other games supposed to do? The IIHF is shooting themselves in the foot here more than anything. I mean really, the people that have the option of watching these games in their own contries must certainly be watching them on TV rather than crappy internet feeds, right? The only people they're screwing are the real hockey fans.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Doesn't take much effort at all these days, no matter what sport, one only need to ask for streams and soon someone posts a link. It doesn't take too long to find places like the wiziwig.tv or firstrowsports.

Didn't know of them before. Thanks.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

lol It's hilarious how they have no idea how technology works.

I've been watching all the live YouTube streams in the United States all tournament and this can't/won't stop me

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

YouTube unblocker extension.

The UK banned a specific pirating site recently. It received 12 million more hits the next day and it posted a way to get around the IP's.

You can't beat the internet.

Geric

Apr 9, 2010
The YouTube Unblocker is what has caused this reaction. It isn't about watching pirated streams of NBC or TSN or a European station, it is the by-passing of YouTube's geo-blocker that is causing this reaction. So they don't care if it increases illegal streams of TV broadcasts - that is the TV broadcasters' problem.

Granlund2Pulkkinen, if you use the YouTube Unblocker now to watch the USA's games on the IIHF's channel, they will still be 30-minute delayed.

Amazing that people complained so much about something that was free, and are now complaining that the IIHF has the audacity to try to protect its media partners who are paying for the broadcasting rights.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The YouTube Unblocker is what has caused this reaction. It isn't about watching pirated streams of NBC or TSN or a European station, it is the by-passing of YouTube's geo-blocker that is causing this reaction. So they don't care if it increases illegal streams of TV broadcasts - that is the TV broadcasters' problem.

Granlund2Pullkinen, if you use the YouTube Unblocker now to watch the USA's games on the IIHF's channel, they will still be 30-minute delayed.

Amazing that people complained so much about something that was free, and are now complaining that the IIHF has the audacity to try to protect its' media partners who are paying for the broadcasting rights.

30 minute delayed doesn't bother me. There's also other sources too that I use.

Geric

Apr 9, 2010
I'm just happy the IIHF isn't pulling them entirely. I can live with the 30 minute delay, too, just wish YT commenters wouldn't post the up-to-date score during the delayed game.

VladNYC*

Granlund2Pulkkinen, if you use the YouTube Unblocker now to watch the USA's games on the IIHF's channel, they will still be 30-minute delayed.

Amazing that people complained so much about something that was free, and are now complaining that the IIHF has the audacity to try to protect its media partners who are paying for the broadcasting rights.

The IIHF's media partners suck and they can go **** them selves. Terrible coverage of this tourney.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
And people wonder why North Americans don't give a **** about the WCs. It takes too much effort just to watch crappy streams, a lot of the time in languages you don't even understand.

I hear you. Is it not possible to watch any of these games with good quality pic and commentator with your own language. They should make it available easily if they want to grow in NA

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
was taken to prevail illegal attempts
and to illegally surpass existing copyright and geoblocking mechanism.
Is using a proxy to bypass geo-restriction really illegal in some countries? Facts please, no guesses. At least here in Finland IP block is not comparable to a so called "strong encryption" (e.g. DVDs), and thus I did nothing illegal by using a simple browser extension.

In principe the this whole free streaming is great, but very amateurishly executed altogether. First they forgot what countries were actually supposed to be blocked and already pissed some tv channels, then the absolutely atrocious commentators and now this knee-jerk reaction (apparently after a lot of complaints from the tv channels). As if no one had thought bypassing the geo-restriction could be possible. :shakehead

Well, things could be a lot worse. For example the tournee could have so low interest that no tv channel would want to buy rights to it.

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
So, how am I supposed to legitimately watch the games I want to now?
I mean, I was watching the game legitimately using the YouTube streams provided by using a proxy, which is not illegal.
Now that there's no legitimate way to watch the games I want to, I guess I'll just have to watch them through means that are technically illegal since there's no legal alternative, so you've really accomplished nothing.

**** you, IIHF.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
The IIHF really wants to shoot itself in the foot during this years WHC. Apparently their motto is "if you don't pay our jacked-up prices, you are not a true fan". And they even say it out loud.

**** em all. And next year the same **** all over again.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
The IIHF really wants to shoot itself in the foot during this years WHC. Apparently their motto is "if you don't pay our jacked-up prices, you are not a true fan". And they even say it out loud.

**** em all. And next year the same **** all over again.

Well, to be fair, it was Infrontmedia/Wintersports that said that, not the IIHF directly, but it does look bad on them when it appears on their site. I don't think the organizers next year will be stupid enough to do the same thing again. They'll have no choice but to fix everything that's gone wrong this year, from the ticket and concession prices, to the streaming and restrictive tv rights.

Vimm

Apr 1, 2012
Good 'ol slap DRM on things to reduce "piracy". Hasn't worked in the past and it certainly won't work now. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And by the way, how the hell is it illegal to use a proxy? Its not like they had us sign a User Agreement by providing a free stream.

And what the hell? Why punish a minority that wants to watch games they cannot. They could be future customers!!!! :amazed: :amazed: :amazed::amazed: :amazed:

Well it's their stream and their phony rules so whatever. Wiziwig is probably gonna start listing individual streams now. So whatever.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Well, to be fair, it was Infrontmedia/Wintersports that said that, not the IIHF directly, but it does look bad on them when it appears on their site.

Yes, although they are still very much in lieu with each other. And the whole organization is on the fritz.

In other news, the Finnish TV-channel that bought the rights for the games claims that people using internet streams are in effect stealing their money :scared:

Maybe they should look in the mirror first and then think what actually made people use those streams in the first place (40 € to watch the games, 7 € per game). Same goes for the Finnish Ice Hockey Association. Enjoy your attendance figures.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
In other news, the Finnish TV-channel that bought the rights for the games claims that people using internet streams are in effect stealing their money :scared:
That was a strong comment (link for fellow Finns). I could understand the typical "= stealing" comparison if the question had about actually illegal streams and not the IIHF streaming.

Gemini

May 12, 2011
Understandable from their point of view as they have contracts with national broadcasters. Civilization is built on contracts. Such things as "free streams" simply don't exist.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
this is great, so now, when i want to watch games my country isnt playing in, i have to use illegal streams from the country which is broadcasting it.

or is there really somebody watching these youtube streams if they can also watch it on some national tv, in better quality and in their own language?

ridiculous :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad