WC: Free YT Live streams to be delayed 30 minutes (Geo-blocking was being bypassed)

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
http://www.iihf.com/competition/272...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=6249&cHash=3f508e88e0

ZUG, Switzerland – Infront Sports & Media, exclusive media and marketing partner to the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), has announced today to stop live coverage of the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship via the official YouTube channel with immediate effect. Starting with the first round game Canada vs. Switzerland, the free YouTube coverage of all future games will be delayed by 30 minutes.

Sucks that people have to abuse things.

Turrican*

They will find a way.
They always do.

Also.. How do you pirate free things?

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
What sucks is that people aren't being allowed to watch their country play unless its on TSN because of advertising revenue. People have to work during the bulk of these games. They should cut Canadians some slack if they aren't going to stream it on their own site.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I want to know why viewership is restricted in North America, but Europeans can access these feeds for free. It's not like they're protecting some kind of profit gain. In what ways are fans not "playing fair"? We want to watch our countries play.

IIHF is the group that isn't playing fair. And as someone else noted, you can't be a pirate if the "stolen" product is free.

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
They will find a way.
They always do.

Also.. How do you pirate free things?

a time portal, so that games streamed on 30 minute delay are shown "live" on the pirate stream

make it happen

the youtube streams werent really free, were blocked by most countries who broadcast the WC on television
(i couldnt watch them in Finland)

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
I want to know why viewership is restricted in North America, but Europeans can access these feeds for free. It's not like they're protecting some kind of profit gain. In what ways are fans not "playing fair"? We want to watch our countries play.

IIHF is the group that isn't playing fair. And as someone else noted, you can't be a pirate if the "stolen" product is free.
If it's not available to US residents because of the agreement with NBC, and you make it available to US residents, you are pirating it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
"However, we currently see no other option to protect the existing media rights agreements with our broadcast partners, as some so called fans decided not to play fair and to illegally surpass existing copyright and geoblocking mechanism.".

What's that supposed to mean? I figure those actually looking for streams(usually to other nation's games) out there are the 'real' fans of hockey.

Anyway, now there'll just be free live streams from the various TV stations instead. For instance Swedish TV broadcasts every game live, it won't make a difference at all.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
And people wonder why North Americans don't give a **** about the WCs. It takes too much effort just to watch crappy streams, a lot of the time in languages you don't even understand.

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998
"However, we currently see no other option to protect the existing media rights agreements with our broadcast partners, as some so called fans decided not to play fair and to illegally surpass existing copyright and geoblocking mechanism.".

What's that supposed to mean? I figure those actually looking for streams(usually to other nation's games) out there are the 'real' fans of hockey.

Anyway, now there'll just be free live streams from the various TV stations instead. For instance Swedish TV broadcasts every game live, it won't make a difference at all.

They'd have to pay me to watch all those boring games.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I don't see how this move improves things on their end. Most of the streams online are not the IIHF feed (actually, I haven't seen one of their feeds get rebroadcast at all. Who want's to listen to their horrible commentators anyway?). The foreign language feeds/TSN broadcasts will still be "pirated" live, no matter what they do. In a championship that's main story has been lack of fan interest and participation, why would you make it so that even less people pay attention to your event? As for the GEO blocking, they should realize that the people circumventing that obviously don't have the means to watch the original signal. If someone puts in an effort to watch a game that's not easily accessible, they really are true "fans", aren't they? This streaming thing was a huge step in the right direction, but it's now apparent that the IIHF is absolutely clueless when it comes to marketing. First they get rid of their hugely popular message boards, and now this idiocy. I'm not sure if I want to follow this thing any more after this ridiculousness. It's nearly impossible to keep results a secret for half an hour in this day and age, and who wants to watch something with no suspense?

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Dear IIHF, welcome to the internet.

Using proxy servers is not illegal. Describing this as "piracy" is disgusting.

Let's just sit on our mountains of gold, let's disable all the free streams, let's make the tickets more expensive than in some of the main sporting events on this planet and see how the sport grows and spreads to every corner of the world.

Fantastic.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yeah, like this will really stop the piracy...it's not like ppl can upload streams from the TV coverage...

IIHF is only hurting itself. Instead of getting whatever ad revenue they can off the deal with Youtube, they'll be getting nothing AND there won't be any additional benefit for the exclusive providers.

VladNYC*

This reaction really pisses me off! "So called fans?" People go out of their way to watch these games at all hours, scouring the internet for feeds that you can't find on TV and we go out of our way to support our teams in this under marketed and under developed tournament and this is the thanks we get? We are already paying for the feed by watching the ****** commercials and seeing the advertising on the side of the rink!

Bruno Marty can [mod]! You can't stop the internet *******!

Last edited by a moderator:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
ironically, delaying their legal stream is only going to increase the amount of illegal streams.

I'm not sure what the purpose is, the people watching online obviously can't watch it on TV so they'd rather they not watch at all?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The "so called fans" quip really rubbed me the wrong way

**** you IIHF
**** you Bruno Marty
**** you Speed Stick

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
ironically, delaying their legal stream is only going to increase the amount of illegal streams.

I'm not sure what the purpose is, the people watching online obviously can't watch it on TV so they'd rather they not watch at all?

Exactly right. This company providing the streams teamed up with youtube(who have ads, etc). Now the pirated streams, who also have ads will get a bump.

Hell, chrome has the youtube unblocker in their own webstore. Google owns Chrome and Youtube. :shakehead

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

Exactly. They're just making it worse. I'm amazed that they can't see that, unless that's what the rights holders want, so at least their streams (and therefore their ads) are watched, instead of the commercial-less IIFH feed.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
And people wonder why North Americans don't give a **** about the WCs. It takes too much effort just to watch crappy streams, a lot of the time in languages you don't even understand.

Us Europeans get that all season long. :sarcasm:

Seriously though. Sucks that they have to remove them. I only found out that they were streaming them today as well.

Baba Booey

Apr 3, 2012
Ontario
As someone has already said the "so called fans" comment makes no sense. People who take time and effort to torrent the games are clearly fans no matter what your opinion of them and their actions is.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Dear IIHF,

As an American based fan of international hockey, I shall abide by all legal means to watch your games and thus as you wish, not watch any of them except the American ones.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Doesn't take much effort at all these days, no matter what sport, one only need to ask for streams and soon someone posts a link. It doesn't take too long to find places like the wiziwig.tv or firstrowsports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad