WC: Free YT Live streams to be delayed 30 minutes (Geo-blocking was being bypassed)

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Was nice to watch some games through "official" channel. Well not anymore, thx IIHF for leading me into actual "piracy" sites. Job well done and welcome to the internet idiots.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Yes, although they are still very much in lieu with each other. And the whole organization is on the fritz.

In other news, the Finnish TV-channel that bought the rights for the games claims that people using internet streams are in effect stealing their money :scared:

Maybe they should look in the mirror first and then think what actually made people use those streams in the first place (40 € to watch the games, 7 € per game). Same goes for the Finnish Ice Hockey Association. Enjoy your attendance figures.

Maybe if they didn't have prices so high to watch games less people would do so.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
How all of this fit to free movement of services in the EU?
Not much, but there is that one EU case where Sky sued a British bar for showing Greek satellite channels.

8. Question 10 in Case C‑403/08 and Question 8 in Case C‑429/08:

Where a programme content provider enters into a series of exclusive licences each for the territory of one or more Member States under which the broadcaster is licensed to broadcast the programme content only within that territory (including by satellite) and a contractual obligation is included in each licence requiring the broadcaster to prevent its satellite decoder cards which enable reception of the licensed programme content from being used outside the licensed territory, such licence agreements are liable to prevent, restrict or distort competition. They are therefore incompatible with Article 101(1) TFEU; it is not necessary to show that such effects have actually occurred.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:62008CC0403:EN:HTML *

* You can get that in your native language by changing the "EN" in the URL...

Fulcrum

This WC is turning out into a nightmare. Easily one of the worst in the last decade or so.

Local Fans are screwed
Global Fans are screwed
No atmosphere whatsoever

Hockey is still very good, but even that is overshadowed by lack of atmosphere. You take the fans out of the equation and the whole structure crumbles very quickly.

sky is falling

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't mean to bring up an old topic, but why are the game highlights blocked as well? What exactly are we stealing from highlights of a game?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Good riddance. If I was able to get a game from their YouTube channel it came with horrible commentary. They were a joke. Easier and better to go pirate it somewhere.

Also, I love their attitude that to be a real hockey fan you've got to be a sucker. I'm sorry I didn't use your crappy product to help profit you. I am the world's worst person and I secretly hate the sport.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
I got myself a rather expensive tv-channel package only so that i can see WC games (all games in HD quality was promised). Then first day i realise that i cant watch WC games from my new IPTV system because IPTV rights went to some other IPTV operator. This minor detail wasnt told customers until games had started.

Now i can see only few games from free channels. So if i try to see more hockey from Youtube or some other stream they call me "so called fan" or "criminal" :rant:

Frag you IIHF, FRAG you Sonera (IPTV operator), frag you MTV3/Canal+, frag you Kummola and frag you capitalist pigs!

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Frag you IIHF, FRAG you Sonera (IPTV operator), frag you MTV3/Canal+, frag you Kummola and frag you capitalist pigs!

Elisa bought rights for MM-kiekko 24/7 channel for IPTV from MTV3. Because of that deal, any other operator can't sell MM-kiekko 24/7 in IPTV, only Elisa Viihde can.

WC is pretty much my personal highlight of the year, but still, IIHF, Kummola & MTV Media decided to screw up everything. Shame, WC in a country that won last year's WC could've been something really amazing. :shakehead

JYP88*

this tournament is fail and embarrassment on so many levels :shakehead

This years WC has been the ice hockey version of 1984.

This WC is turning out into a nightmare. Easily one of the worst in the last decade or so.
You are right and im hoping that Finland will never held another tournament, Finnish hockey Association is lying, greedy, useless and corrupt gang which dont give a fuc# about fans or atmosphere.

Dec 2, 2010
Think of this from the IIHF's perspective. They're getting paid by broadcasters like TSN, NBC and Viasat (I think). That revenue is more important than making the games available for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad