Free agents

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I agree with tripod that if ur bringing in a Dman it has to be a top 4 guy to push 1 of manning or McDonald off the roster or maybe even both. Trade 1 or both of them or send them to the phantoms it wouldn't be a bad thing if they kept 8 dmen on the roster either. I know both probably will not happen but our defense could be so much better.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The list of decent UFAs who will not cost the moon or dont suck will be pretty short this season:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/points/all/all/ufa

Top 10 available centers:

Thornton
Hanzal
Fisher
Bonino
Boyle
Desharnais
Moore
Cullen
McClement

Top 20 available wingers:

Radulov
Jagr
Oshie
Marleau
Williams
Vrbata
Hudler
Sharp
Vanek
Stafford
Doan
Eaves
Versteeg
Parenteau
Winnik
Gagner
B. Gionta
Pyatt
Ryan
Stalberg
King

Top 20 available Dmen:

Shattenkirk
Alzner
Markov
Streit
Kulikov
Hainsey
Seidenberg
Russell
Daley
Del Zotto
Smith
Stone
Wideman
Oduya
Tyutin
Franson
Campbell
Polak
Quincey
Engelland

Top 10 goalies:

Bishop
Mason
Miller
Darling
Elliott
Bernier
Nilsson
Johnson
Condon
Budaj

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The list of decent UFAs who will not cost the moon or dont suck will be pretty short this season:

Thornton
Hanzal
Fisher
Bonino
Boyle
Desharnais
Moore
Cullen
McClement

Radulov
Jagr
Oshie
Marleau
Williams
Vrbata
Hudler
Sharp
Vanek
Stafford
Doan
Eaves
Versteeg
Parenteau
Winnik
Gagner
B. Gionta
Pyatt
Ryan
Stalberg
King

Top 20 available Dmen:

Shattenkirk
Alzner
Markov
Streit
Kulikov
Hainsey
Seidenberg
Russell
Daley
Del Zotto
Smith
Stone
Wideman
Oduya
Tyutin
Franson
Campbell
Polak
Quincey
Engelland

Top 10 goalies:

Bishop
Mason
Miller
Darling
Elliott
Bernier
Nilsson
Johnson
Condon
Budaj

It's getting harder and harder to significantly improve your team through free agency.

Shattenkirk is the only high impact player available in the Forward and Defensemen class, combined.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
No FAs unless we can offload some players. we have way too many bottom 6 players signed as is and the 1 we lose to the ED is still not enough

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's getting harder and harder to significantly improve your team through free agency.

Shattenkirk is the only high impact player available in the Forward and Defensemen class, combined.

I like Alzner as a good veteran presence that can be here a while if he is signed to a relatively long deal. Problem is he is going to likely get around $5 million if I had to guess. If they could somehow fit him under the cap, I'd be happy to bring him in. Alzner, Provolone, Ghost, Gudas is a nice top 4. Then you have Manning/AMac/Rookie in some combination on the bottom pair. I can dig it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like Alzner as a good veteran presence that can be here a while if he is signed to a relatively long deal. Problem is he is going to likely get around $5 million if I had to guess. If they could somehow fit him under the cap, I'd be happy to bring him in. Alzner, Provolone, Ghost, Gudas is a nice top 4. Then you have Manning/AMac/Rookie in some combination on the bottom pair. I can dig it.

Alzner strikes me as a dman that won't age well and would require a contract that we would regret within 2 years.

Sanheim and Morin are NHL ready. Myers will be after 1 year in the AHL.

Thats 3 dman you are adding to Provorov, Ghost, and Gudas by fall of 2018.

Where does Alzner fit in?

I would rather promote from within and pay our own guys than overpay for Alzner at the tail end of his prime.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Is there someplace to see all the ufa signings in past 5 or so years sorted by teams? I really would be curious if there is one team that did really well or everyone goes through their own version of Grossman and Lecavalier.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Alzner strikes me as a dman that won't age well and would require a contract that we would regret within 2 years.

I would rather promote from within and pay our own guys than overpay for Alzner at the tail end of his prime.

Agree with all of that - there's no reason to bring in a D man IMO, considering what we have on the way. Even though they are young and could possibly use a vet presence beyond what we have, I'd rather just let them play and clear the decks of anyone who could get in their way. We could always just keep ManDogBearPigHeavyweightChampNetFrontPresence around for a while.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Well of course. I think everyone would, but I don't think that you can just bank on that. Alzner is a good defenseman. I don't disagree that he will be costly. I'm not suggesting giving him a huge deal, but even if he came in under five million for a 3-4 years, I can get on board.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL

Thornton
Hanzal
Fisher
Bonino
Boyle
Desharnais
Moore
Cullen
McClement

Radulov
Jagr
Oshie
Marleau
Williams
Vrbata
Hudler
Sharp
Vanek
Stafford
Doan
Eaves
Versteeg
Parenteau
Winnik
Gagner
B. Gionta
Pyatt
Ryan
Stalberg
King

Top 20 available Dmen:

Shattenkirk
Alzner
Markov
Streit
Kulikov
Hainsey
Seidenberg
Russell
Daley
Del Zotto
Smith
Stone
Wideman
Oduya
Tyutin
Franson
Campbell
Polak
Quincey
Engelland

Top 10 goalies:

Bishop
Mason
Miller
Darling
Elliott
Bernier
Nilsson
Johnson
Condon
Budaj

All in bold I wouldn't mind, as I think Hexy will still take the patient approach.

If it were a free for all, take the Oshies/Shatty's/etc - won't happen tho.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
alzner is the 2nd best dman in free agency. there is no way he is coming in at around 5 million. someome will definitely overpay him. Michael stone and kulikov will probably both get around 5 million in free agency and alzner is regarded higher than both of them. fa defenseman arent that deep this year so the few solid top 4 guys that are there will get overpaid. now I would like stone or kulikov as well but they will probably both demand more than they are actually worth. since we burned streits money on flip, we really shouldnt be throwing 5 million at top 4 guys that aren't really top pairing guys. a Campbell, Wiseman, Seidenburg, or Markov signed to a 1 year deal to play bottom pair and push the trash off the team would be preferable to overpaying a top 4 guy. then im hoping the kids push amac and manning off the team in the next camp. I'll be pretty concerned if the coaches/front office don't believe that 2 of morin/hagg/sanheim/Myers will contribute more to the team than amac or manning next year. morin and Hagg especially since they will have had 2 years of pro hockey under their belts... how much more seasoning do these guys need until they are given a shot to take over for the trash? if the organization doesnt believe these 2 will be an improvement over amac or manning at that point then we should be very concerned about both of their development.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Thornton
Hanzal
Fisher
Bonino
Boyle
Desharnais
Moore
Cullen
McClement

Radulov
Jagr
Oshie
Marleau
Williams
Vrbata
Hudler
Sharp
Vanek
Stafford
Doan
Eaves
Versteeg
Parenteau
Winnik
Gagner
B. Gionta
Pyatt
Ryan
Stalberg
King

Top 20 available Dmen:

Shattenkirk
Alzner
Markov
Streit
Kulikov
Hainsey
Seidenberg
Russell
Daley
Del Zotto
Smith
Stone
Wideman
Oduya
Tyutin
Franson
Campbell
Polak
Quincey
Engelland

Top 10 goalies:

Bishop
Mason
Miller
Darling
Elliott
Bernier
Nilsson
Johnson
Condon
Budaj

Boyle, Jagr, Campbell, Stone, Mason, Miller and Darling would be pretty helpful.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Mason, Miller and Darling would be pretty helpful.
I think that Mason is gone. Time for a new address for both sides. I doubt if Miller would leave the West Coast because of his wife's ties out there. Darling is interesting but how he would play without Chicago's defense in front of him makes me a bit leery of him. Bernier has history with Hextall. Once upon a time he was a hot commodity.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I think that Mason is gone. Time for a new address for both sides. I doubt if Miller would leave the West Coast because of his wife's ties out there. Darling is interesting but how he would play without Chicago's defense in front of him makes me a bit leery of him. Bernier has history with Hextall. Once upon a time he was a hot commodity.

Didn't know about Miller, thanks. I'm not sure if Darling would ask for much in term or dollars. He doesn't really have much of a track record. With Neuvirth's health history, this would probably be a good spot for Darling to prove that he can be a starter. Bernier is interesting, though people would probably have less patience with him than Mason. Still think Mason is the best bet. Best track record of the goalie FA pool and probably can come back on a "show me" deal

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Bernier has history with Hextall. Once upon a time he was a hot commodity.

I saw that name on the list and thought the same thing. Bernier could easily be who Hexy is targeting as a middle of the road free agent to tandem with Neuvirth. I don't buy the notion that Stolarz or Lyon are actually in the plans next year to make the team without injury.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I saw that name on the list and thought the same thing. Bernier could easily be who Hexy is targeting as a middle of the road free agent to tandem with Neuvirth. I don't buy the notion that Stolarz or Lyon are actually in the plans next year to make the team without injury.

I cant think of a more average tandem. They would give Lehtonen-Niemi a run for their money l.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
This seems to be the active offseason thread though it talks specifically to free agency. Thought I'd revisit a MacDonald to the Bruins trade... Would you guys consider trading MacDonald to the Bruins for Hayes and Beleskey? Hayes might look good on his off-wing with Giroux and Beleskey's buyout--save 2019-2010--is a bit better than MacDonald's.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This seems to be the active offseason thread though it talks specifically to free agency. Thought I'd revisit a MacDonald to the Bruins trade... Would you guys consider trading MacDonald to the Bruins for Hayes and Beleskey? Hayes might look good on his off-wing with Giroux and Beleskey's buyout--save 2019-2010--is a bit better than MacDonald's.

If it helps Boston more than us, than no. Will have to look at their cap situation and come back later with an opinion

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It's going to be Bernier isn't it. It makes too much sense no to happen.

The way the Leafs fans trashed him on his way out, I was surprised to see he was .908 in his last season there.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Here are big ticket players that made it to the market last 5 summers (min of 2 years at 3 million). Capfriendly initially forgot about Frolik and Filppula so there are probably few more names that are missing. Either way you look at that list there are only 4 names that were considered core pieces heading into a free agency and out of those Suter, Parise and Stastny signed with their hometown teams so that leaves only Niskanen as impact player to really hit the market.
7RImi3r.png

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
If it helps Boston more than us, than no. Will have to look at their cap situation and come back later with an opinion

If it's just AMac for the two forwards, then the deal favors Boston. Make more sense if a pick came back to the Flyers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad