Free agents

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not really anyone out there that's either worth it, or we could afford. And it's more about them being worth it. Where is there a spot for a free agent other than goaltender? I might take a look at Justin Williams for a year, but that's really it, and they'd have to clear money to do it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only one year deals, just how many big free agent contracts have ever worked out?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Only one year deals, just how many big free agent contracts have ever worked out?

I wonder what guys like sharp and marleau would be looking for in contract length. I wouldnt mind adding a vet scorer like them for a year or 2.

No big deals though.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Chris VandeVelde.

WHY.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As others have mentioned, veterans like Sharp, Marleau and Williams would be nice on short deals.

I also mentioned in another thread that i'd be willing to sign Radulov for 4 years or less at $5.5 million per or less...IF we can move Schenn in a separate deal for a top 10 pick or quality defensemen.

We also need to sign a goalie, whether it be Mason or we go for a guy like Bishop or Darling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Unless they are getting rid of multiple vets, I hope they don't sign any free agents except a cheap goalie. Filppula took up the free agent forward spot and has the perfect contract length, and on defense it's time to promote a couple of prospects, not put more obstacles in their path.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
It depends who gets picked in ED.

If read, weise, raffl, or PEB are NOT taken they we need to worry about unloading a forward instead of taken another one. If one is taken then maybe you can gamble on someone, maybe over pay on a 1yr deal

If AMac is taken, then we prob will be in the market for a 3rd pairing vet on a short term deal.

If Neuvy was taken, or if they don't believe in Stolie, then a goalie of course

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It depends who gets picked in ED.

If read, weise, raffl, or PEB are NOT taken they we need to worry about unloading a forward instead of taken another one. If one is taken then maybe you can gamble on someone, maybe over pay on a 1yr deal

If AMac is taken, then we prob will be in the market for a 3rd pairing vet on a short term deal.

If Neuvy was taken, or if they don't believe in Stolie, then a goalie of course

Lol here have your pick between worst forward, dman and goalie. Vegas should be so lucky to take one of them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's almost certainly gonna be Read/Raffl/Weise/Bellemare unless they like Laughton's potential enough to spend one of their 10 RFA slots on him. The forwards available to Vegas from other teams are markedly lower in quality than the dmen and goalies they will be picking from.

Obviously Read would open up the most cap space. This is a full roster of 14 F, 7 D, 2 G.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 8.25
Schenn ~ 5.125
MacDonald ~ 5
Filppula ~ 5
Couturier ~ 4.33
Simmonds ~ 3.975
Ghost ~ 3.5
Gudas ~ 3.35
Neuvirth ~ 2.5
Raffl ~ 2.35
Weise ~ 2.35
Umberger BUYOUT ~ 1.5
Bellemare ~ 1.45
Cousins ~ 1
Manning ~ 0.975
Lindblom ~ 0.925
Leier/Weal ~ 0.9
Laughton ~ 0.9

Konecny ~ 0.894
Provorov ~ 0.894
Sanheim ~ 0.863
Morin ~ 0.863
Stolarz/Lyon ~ 0.85
TOTAL ~ 66.019

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It's almost certainly gonna be Read/Raffl/Weise/Bellemare unless they like Laughton's potential enough to spend one of their 10 RFA slots on him. The forwards available to Vegas from other teams are markedly lower in quality than the dmen and goalies they will be picking from.

Obviously Read would open up the most cap space. This is a full roster of 14 F, 7 D, 2 G.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 8.25
Schenn ~ 5.125
MacDonald ~ 5
Filppula ~ 5
Couturier ~ 4.33
Simmonds ~ 3.975
Ghost ~ 3.5
Gudas ~ 3.35
Neuvirth ~ 2.5
Raffl ~ 2.35
Weise ~ 2.35
Umberger BUYOUT ~ 1.5
Bellemare ~ 1.45
Cousins ~ 1
Manning ~ 0.975
Lindblom ~ 0.925
Leier/Weal ~ 0.9
Laughton ~ 0.9

Konecny ~ 0.894
Provorov ~ 0.894
Sanheim ~ 0.863
Morin ~ 0.863
Stolarz/Lyon ~ 0.85
TOTAL ~ 66.019

I would rather Ghost be signed long term and not to a bridge deal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If Bishop wants a 3 year max deal Id like that. Nuevy is not a starter. Bishop is better than Mase. Stolarz has struggled? Most teams are set at goalie so it may be possible, still unlikely.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
As others have mentioned, veterans like Sharp, Marleau and Williams would be nice on short deals.

I also mentioned in another thread that i'd be willing to sign Radulov for 4 years or less at $5.5 million per or less...IF we can move Schenn in a separate deal for a top 10 pick or quality defensemen.

We also need to sign a goalie, whether it be Mason or we go for a guy like Bishop or Darling.

really would be shocked if Marleau left SJ quite honestly, and if he did leave I have to think he would want to go to a better situation then Philly especially if SJ doesnt win the Cup this year. I am pretty much luke warm on Sharp. but if the money is right on a 1 year deal, sure why not. But I really want Williams back. come back to where it all began.
Not a fan of giving Radulov a long term deal. Would rather keep Schenn, and I am not exactly Schenn's biggest fan.
I really dont know how I feel about having Mason and Neuvy back for the next 2 years at least honestly. I have been on record that i didnt want either back. I dont hate either guy, just dont know how much trust there is for me with either guy at this point. If both come back I hope they both prove me wrong.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Free agency is crap.

Defense will hopefully be fixed by promotion from within. If that is not enough, you have to go trade.

I don't see how to upgrade LW or center via free agency. Not much there from the beginning and Thornton, Marleau, Oshie or even Sharp are not coming to a borderline playoff team.

The only real market worth talking about is goaltending but other than Bishop it remains to be seen who hits the market. And are those guys an upgrade over Mason?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Free agency is crap.

Defense will hopefully be fixed by promotion from within. If that is not enough, you have to go trade.

I don't see how to upgrade LW or center via free agency. Not much there from the beginning and Thornton, Marleau, Oshie or even Sharp are not coming to a borderline playoff team.

The only real market worth talking about is goaltending but other than Bishop it remains to be seen who hits the market. And are those guys an upgrade over Mason?

I agree.

Since we acquired Filppula, there is no real need for another FA C signing. Look at how Coots unfolds again. The pure presence of three regular top-9 center alone made a difference.

From here on it should be the emergence of our prospects or hockey trades.

Only FA acquisitions I would understand are 1-year deals which could be flipped for picks at the tdl. We do have something we haven't seen in a long time and it's called cap space.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Lots but this group even can **** up weise. i wanted Stall but everyone on here said he was slow which is far from the truth but he wouldn't have been as good here as Minny with there solid core.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There are a couple guys I'd be interested in either short term deals or longer term but with a good cap hit deal to play bottom six type roles. Viktor Stalberg could be a nice third liner. Patrick Eaves can be a good middle sixer (though I think he's going to get a pretty good bump in pay). Other than those two, there aren't a whole lot of guys that I'd be interested in. You're either getting an over the hill guy or you're going to pay out the A.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
really would be shocked if Marleau left SJ quite honestly, and if he did leave I have to think he would want to go to a better situation then Philly especially if SJ doesnt win the Cup this year. I am pretty much luke warm on Sharp. but if the money is right on a 1 year deal, sure why not. But I really want Williams back. come back to where it all began.
Not a fan of giving Radulov a long term deal. Would rather keep Schenn, and I am not exactly Schenn's biggest fan.
I really dont know how I feel about having Mason and Neuvy back for the next 2 years at least honestly. I have been on record that i didnt want either back. I dont hate either guy, just dont know how much trust there is for me with either guy at this point. If both come back I hope they both prove me wrong.

I agree with your feelings in here, especially with how nice it would be to have Williams back where he never should have left, but I would actually prefer not to sign anyone at all. We have enough extra players to fill in for injuries next season, and the following season we will surely have some more prospects moving up, with the season after that seeing more, etc. I also wouldn't be at all averse to moving Schenn (and I'm not saying he's worthless). I'm not sure I want to add a vet D man in trade, either, although I see the thinking behind it and would be OK with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad