Free Agents

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Ha, I knew it

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Party like it's 2005

sportsSENATORS_t440.jpg

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I suppose he would help Providence...not sure why Boston would be interested....hasnt played in the NHL in two years. And hasnt been a dominant AHLer.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How are they becoming free agents?
I thought amnesty buy outs arent until next year. Why would Habs - Rags buy them out this year and set them free?

Somebody help me out here.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I'd like to see the bruins sign Redden to a two way deal provided the price isn't too much. Even if he never plays a game in a bruins uniform, he adds good defensive depth and NHL experience.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I thought amnesty buy outs arent until next year. Why would Habs - Rags buy them out this year and set them free?

NHL and NHLPA agreed to accelerated buyouts for players making more than 3M. Gives the players a chance to play. 100% of cap hit counted this year is the catch for the teams.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Prevent the NHLPA from filing a grievance for not allowing them to play.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Updated story: As many as 5 teams have already shown preliminary interest in Gomez, all in the West (so far)...

GodTukka*

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Updated story: As many as 5 teams have already shown preliminary interest in Gomez, all in the West (so far)...

Not a shock.

Let's be honest, yes he was fun to poke fun at while in a Habs uniform, the guy wasn't as bad as you'd think. The combo of a bad contract + probable loss of confidence doomed him.

That being said, i still don't want him anywhere near the Bruins. Redden maybe, not him though

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Not a shock.

Let's be honest, yes he was fun to poke fun at while in a Habs uniform, the guy wasn't as bad as you'd think. The combo of a bad contract + probable loss of confidence doomed him.

That being said, i still don't want him anywhere near the Bruins. Redden maybe, not him though

If you say so... The game as passed him by, anyone that don't see it and will take a chance will get burn for it.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Would Redden be willing to join the Bruins for this season at the league min.?

Getting an opportunity to play again with Chara may enhance his ability to secure a more lucrative contract next season.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The compliance buyout exception for this year really is the right thing to do. No need to have players be forced to stay home.

I thought it was a great idea to have players at home with huge cap hits... makes players realize they have to play to the contract value, not just sit on the huge contract until it expires.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I thought it was a great idea to have players at home with huge cap hits... makes players realize they have to play to the contract value, not just sit on the huge contract until it expires.

Sure, but GM's are guilty of overpaying/trading for these two mediocre players. It's unfair to only punish the players and possibly force them to end their career.

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
If you say so... The game as passed him by, anyone that don't see it and will take a chance will get burn for it.

interested teams wont be spending much or handing over mcdonagh's for him... so it's a low risk - potential medium reward situation.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sure, but GM's are guilty of overpaying/trading for these two mediocre players. It's unfair to only punish the players and possibly force them to end their career.

I agree. You see restructuring of contracts in the NFL all the time to get under the cap. (Brady makes the same cap hit as Sanchez). I think the cap should mean something, but I don't think it's fair to penalize players for the contracts that the GMs sign them to. Didn't like it when people here were discussing burying Ryder/Sturm. Still don't like it.

this is a good compromise.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Up to a certain point... Players\Agents are more guilty of the over payment then the GM's.

It's the " Let's suck them dry mentality ".

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Gomez was sent home with a full salary so it's not a buy-out with means he can't play for anyone.

The buy-out is planned for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad