Speculation: Free Agent/Trade Thread: 2015 Free Agency Looming and Trade Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Okay, time for a new round of:

They gave up a first for that?

Teams are always willing to trade their first rounders... except to the Toronto Maple Leafs. We never have the assets for them. :laugh:

JMcLeaf

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coyotes-considering-buying-out-sam-gagner/

The Arizona Coyotes are seriously considering buying out the contract of Sam Gagner, which has the Toronto Maple Leafs interested.

The cash-strapped Coyotes are on the hunt for centremen, and have come to the conclusion that Gagner simply isn’t a fit. Arizona GM Don Maloney has been attempting to trade Gagner while at the NHL Draft, but chances are he would have to take someone else’s bad contract back. Maloney may settle for a buy-out at one-third of the money owed, as Gagner is still just 25 years old.

If bought out, the 25-year-old Gagner would perk the interest of the Leafs as a winger when free agency opens on July 1. Toronto needs young NHL players in their lineup, and Gagner would bring considerable experience at a relatively inexpensive price after being bought out.

Hunter will be very familiar with him

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just saw the Sabres trade. Odd way to rebuild moving your 1st.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For a 23 year old goaltender who by all accounts should be a starter not really. If they ended up draft Samsanov in that spot then they probably saved themselves 3 years of development.

That is exactly as I see it.

I thought Buffalo might have used the #21 on Samsonov and then wait 3 years for him to arrive.

Lehner becomes their starter next year.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 53s54 seconds ago
Eric Stephens retweeted San Diego Gulls
#NHLDucks hire former Oilers coach for their AHL team. Eric Stephens added,

San Diego Gulls @SDGullsAHL
BREAKING: #SDGulls appoint Dallas Eakins as Head Coach.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 31s32 seconds ago
Dallas Eakins named head coach of @SDGullsAHL.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
That is exactly as I see it.

I thought Buffalo might have used the #21 on Samsonov and then wait 3 years for him to arrive.

Lehner becomes their starter next year.

Also by all accounts the Sabres are on the upswing now. They don't have intentions of tanking again this year. This is the right move. They have a solid young core right now and placing some veterans around them will easily make them the most improved or 2nd most improved (EDM) in the NHL next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Also by all accounts the Sabres are on the upswing now. They don't have intentions of tanking again this year. This is the right move. They have a solid young core right now and placing some veterans around them will easily make them the most improved or 2nd most improved (EDM) in the NHL next year.

Also Eichel threatening to return to college based on Buffalo going into another tank year isn't as appealing to him and would prefer BU instead.

If you send the message you are at least trying to win next year that might change his mind.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I get so antsy hearing all the Leaf hype and the biggest move we've made is getting the 24th pick when all of our best players are available lol. Meanwhile Ottawa flips their 3rd goalie for the 21st

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Just saw the Sabres trade. Odd way to rebuild moving your 1st.

they didn't trade there first, but even without the pick, at the end of this draft they will have made 12 picks in the top 60 in the last 3 drafts, including 4 first rounders, Eichel/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Reinhart. I think they can spare the 21st overall pick on a goalie they believe will be a solid starting goalie.

to put that into perspective if the leafs don't acquire another top 60 pick this year we will have made 12 picks in the top 60 since 2009 so 7 years.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Word is Bruins are trying desperately to get Hanifin (number one d in the draft and from Boston), played at BU. heard they are linked to coyotes, but if the coyotes end up taking a forward and hanifin falls to the leafs I would at least offer something like 4 and polak for Hamilton and 14...thoughts?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I get so antsy hearing all the Leaf hype and the biggest move we've made is getting the 24th pick when all of our best players are available lol. Meanwhile Ottawa flips their 3rd goalie for the 21st

Leafs don't have a GM, and everyone is inexperienced, and that could lead to being gun shy of making a bad trade, and not knowing how to close a deal leading to a quiet trade day for the Leafs before the draft.

Last edited:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Word is Bruins are trying desperately to get Hanifin (number one d in the draft and from Boston), played at BU. heard they are linked to coyotes, but if the coyotes end up taking a forward and hanifin falls to the leafs I would at least offer something like 4 and polak for Hamilton and 14...thoughts?

I dont like it for the Leafs.

In this draft, I personally dont move the #4 for Hamilton, the extra pick is nice....

BUT I also dont see Boston moving both those assets just for Noah.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
they didn't trade there first, but even without the pick, at the end of this draft they will have made 12 picks in the top 60 in the last 3 drafts, including 4 first rounders, Eichel/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Reinhart. I think they can spare the 21st overall pick on a goalie they believe will be a solid starting goalie.

to put that into perspective if the leafs don't acquire another top 60 pick this year we will have made 12 picks in the top 60 since 2009 so 7 years.

They didn't trade their pick but they did?

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010

Nope they would have to add. Hamilton is really good but theres a reason boston wants Noah.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Leafs don't have a GM and everyone is inexperienced and that could lead to being gun shy of making a bad trade and not knowing how to close a deal leading to a quiet trade day for the Leafs before the draft.

While plausible, I don't get that feel with this group

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

No interest in that.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Leafs don't have a GM and everyone is inexperienced and that could lead to being gun shy of making a bad trade and not knowing how to close a deal leading to a quiet trade day for the Leafs before the draft.

Periods and commas, my friend. Periods and commas.

The team is quite experienced when it comes to making hockey trades at other levels (junior), and have good expertise with the NHL cap. They'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad