James Reimer
Freddy Andersen
Jaroslav Halak

^ this is assuming a Kuemper trade

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't be totally surprised if we just used Korenar or Vejmelka at backup. Can they handle 20-25 games?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm a little bit relieved that Oleksiak a d Larsson weren't available. I would have loved to sign them but it would have felt like a Chayka repeat where we get some really nice players for the blue line (Hammer, Goligoski and Demers) but they don't get to help when we need them to. Looking back he really did a re-tool rather than a rebuild when we really needed a rebuild.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll and rt

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I'm a little bit relieved that Oleksiak a d Larsson weren't available. I would have loved to sign them but it would have felt like a Chayka repeat where we get some really nice players for the blue line (Hammer, Goligoski and Demers) but they don't get to help when we need them to. Looking back he really did a re-tool rather than a rebuild when we really needed a rebuild.

I think Craig Morgan said it best on his podcast. The Coyotes are (presumably) finally rebuilding the right way. Stripping down significantly and obtaining draft picks in bunches.

Previous management groups kind half ass that, get a team that’s starting to look like they may have an off chance, then abandon the rebuild in hopes of making the playoffs. I don’t think we’ll see flashy free agent signings or exciting current roster players come via trade for the next couple seasons unless their young emerging prospects.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Grimes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So here's a question - where did we screw up the last rebuild? I'd say the Stepan and Hjlmarsson trades at the 2017 draft. We changed course after that and rushed.

I ask because hopefully we don't make the same mistake this time around.

Edit: Doesn't help that we missed out on McEichel and Matthews and the subsequent drafts have not had franchise-tier top picks.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So here's a question - where did we screw up the last rebuild? I'd say the Stepan and Hjlmarsson trades at the 2017 draft. We changed course after that and rushed.

Edit: Doesn't help that we missed out on McEichel and Matthews and the subsequent drafts have not had franchise-tier top picks.
I think that’s right. The 2017 draft.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

I’d say under Chayka, it started with the Tocchet hiring and the 2017 draft, as you mentioned. We were looking to immediately improve, but didn’t have enough depth or a strong enough core to trade away prospects and picks. We traded 7th overall and DeAngelo (not looking like a piece you want to build around, but still) for a 2nd line center on most teams, and an unproven goaltender. If you’re gonna trade picks and prospects to justify competing, you either have to already have a playoff contending team or you have to hit a home run. We didn’t have that. I didn’t see that back then, I was excited to be competitive and I loved Raanta. Then he kept doing mini resets. Galchenyuk, Schmaltz, Hall, etc.

Don Maloney, tough to say, but just horrible drafting overall.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Got compounded by both the Kessel and Hall trades. All of those trades were extremely exciting at the time, but feel bad looking back. But I think the likes of Stepan, Hammer, Demers/Goligoski did help prevent a terrible locker room (especially after losing 20 straight or whatever). I will still stand to this day by the Stepan/Raanta trade. I think we needed Anti or could have made an even worse goalie decision and Stepan helped Keller. Where we screwed up even more so was the non-stop shuffling of chairs. Strome for Schmaltz looks like a slight win, but if we just developed Strome better maybe he becomes the 1B center we needed to be more sustainable and allow him to grow with Keller. Domi for Gally was brutal even if we don't know everything that happened behind the scenes, it did us no good. Being inpatient with Duclair for Panik rather than even some picks. We shuffled through everything we were building from 2013-2015. I think those are the larger issues than missing out on Andersson in 2017 or even players for Kessel. We became impatient with the talent we had rather than continue to build on them. I mean if everything went right....

Keller-Strome-Duclair
Domi-Dvo-Garland
Crouse-Stepan-Kessel

Chrychrun-Goligoski
OEL-Demers

Could have been our top lines when they were finally a playoff bubble team.

Reactions: RemoAZ

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Man it’s so disappointing because I remember being on vacation with family on the east coast for the 2017 draft and being so damn excited when the hammer and stepan trades happened. Like holy shit we’re finally bringing in some established prime time guys who’ve played on great teams and have playoff experience. Seemed perfect to close the door on the tippett/smith/Maloney era. That next season (tocchet’s first) was the most excited I had been for a season since 2013….and then we started 0-11-1.

Reactions: 0point1 and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Man it’s so disappointing because I remember being on vacation with family on the east coast for the 2017 draft and being so damn excited when the hammer and stepan trades happened. Like holy shit we’re finally bringing in some established prime time guys who’ve played on great teams and have playoff experience. Seemed perfect to close the door on the tippett/smith/Maloney era. That next season (tocchet’s first) was the most excited I had been for a season since 2013….and then we started 0-11-1.
IKIFEEL.jpg

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
One of the following centers:
Casey Cizikas
Sean Kuraly
Cedric Paquette

One of the following wingers:
Jordan Martinook
Jamie McGinn
Nick Ritchie

Two of the following defenseman:
Jani Hakanpaa
Ryan Murray
Jake McCabe
Jon Merrill

Two of the following goalies:
Braden Holtby
James Reimer
Freddy Andersen
Jaroslav Halak

Wrong McGinn.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018

Million dollar question. When was the last tank successful and what do we have to do to replicate it?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d say under Chayka, it started with the Tocchet hiring and the 2017 draft, as you mentioned. We were looking to immediately improve, but didn’t have enough depth or a strong enough core to trade away prospects and picks. We traded 7th overall and DeAngelo (not looking like a piece you want to build around, but still) for a 2nd line center on most teams, and an unproven goaltender. If you’re gonna trade picks and prospects to justify competing, you either have to already have a playoff contending team or you have to hit a home run. We didn’t have that. I didn’t see that back then, I was excited to be competitive and I loved Raanta. Then he kept doing mini resets. Galchenyuk, Schmaltz, Hall, etc.

Don Maloney, tough to say, but just horrible drafting overall.
As soon as that Stepan deal went down I was against it. That trade, the Hall trade and losing our first rounder in this years draft. You can't lose or give away first round picks like they are candy. You can not fast track a rebuild if you do it right, but AB and Chayka thought they were the smartest in the room and look where that got us.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yet you seemingly complain about this rebuild, as you’ve stated over and over: “rinse and repeat’” “all that matters is winning”

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
One year UFA’s please. Then start the remaining purge and ensure we’re sitting in a top 5 draft spot next 2 years. Let’s do this right…all the way right.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of the following centers:
Casey Cizikas
Sean Kuraly
Cedric Paquette

One of the following wingers:
Jordan Martinook
Jamie McGinn
Nick Ritchie

Two of the following defenseman:
Jani Hakanpaa
Ryan Murray
Jake McCabe
Jon Merrill

Two of the following goalies:
Braden Holtby
James Reimer
Freddy Andersen
Jaroslav Halak

Good news is most of these guys haven't been connected to teams yet outside of the goalies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yet you seemingly complain about this rebuild, as you’ve stated over and over: “rinse and repeat’” “all that matters is winning”
Not complaining about the rebuild, if that is what we are doing. Complaining about making the same mistakes again. New owner, new GM, new coach, all with no NHL experiencer at their current position. The proof will be in the pudding, again. Most liked RT and Chayka, now after failure we threw them out with the bath water. Same now, all happy, high five's all around, GMBA can do no wrong. Like I said, winning is all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad