Free Agent Frenzy

What are the Preds going to do with the cap space available?

• Total voters

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
JOFA
Grimaldi - Duchene - Tolvanen
Kunin - Sissons - Trenin
Watson - Jarnkrok - Pitlick
Tomasino, Richard

Just throwing out names for reference. I wouldn't mind a 4th line center signing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
6.25 AAV, 4 year deal for Matt Murray in Ottawa. Seems like a risk.
I don't know... I really like Murray from what I think of his trajectory and how a goalie SHOULD play the position. He has had some mental challenges the last couple of years, I grant him that. But given that, I probably wouldn't have made this level of commitment to him. He SHOULD be a 4x$6.25M goalie. But last couple years... he hasn't been. Simply put. Bit of a gamble by Ottawa IMHO. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Eh, more on the lines of Janmark. Yeah, we could round out our lineup with Fast/Janmark. They are NHL players. But it doesn't really help us in either of the trajectories we need to focus on: either contend and sign better players than this, or retool and give our prospects a chance. I don't really like the middle-road of Fast/Janmark ideas up front.
we need goal scoring. Fast/Janmark don't really do anything to address that. Sure they could be 4th line role players but i don't think we really need that

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I know the Turris situation was frustrating from so many levels, but in the end, he was one of the least productive players on the ice. He also actively harmed us for several playoff runs. He was a liability defensively, and may have cost us the WPG series.

He didn't fit. It was a major blunder.

I think there were major mistakes made with how we used him. He still has to find a way to produce. If he can't, he is gone. I don't feel sorry for him. He is making 8 million dollars from us in a buy out to do nothing. Additionally, he has another contract. If he wasn't so terrible on the ice, he would have received more money. He is a multi-millionaire who earned 12 million from us the last two years.

Let's move on. Hopefully, he bounces back and gets another contract at the end of next year.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
He didn't work as 3C here because we wanted our 3C to be more of a shutdown guy and match that line against the opponent's top lines. Not all teams do that and he's actually likely to thrive getting sheltered minutes while other teams focus on shutting down the McDavid and Draisaitl lines. If our organization showed a little creativity/flexibility and run the 4th line as the sole shutdown/energy line, and if our top two lines were actually dangerous enough to enable us to shelter a Turris-led 3rd line, we may have seen the same.
Conceding the creativity of a line of Grimaldi / Turris / Smith, but I'm not inspired by it. Grimaldi is a pesky, speed winger who struggles to finish. Smith was a grinder, good on the forecheck, and digging out pucks in battles. Bonino was fearless and willing to camp in front of the net and score greasy goals. Turris was a straight-line up-and-down playmaker sort of center who's offensive game evaporated for some reason.

If the goal was to make the 3rd have more offensive firepower, removing the guy that most consistently produced goals on that line and replacing him with a guy who was stone cold doesn't seem to add up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Guys EVERY YEAR THE FA DAY SUCKS FOR THE PREDS. EVERY.YEAR.
I think when we signed Bonino... given our C situation... given the market... that was pretty much a perfect choice.

And we put a lot of posts and speculation into Duchene. That was pretty epic to win out on as well. Even if Year 1 wasn't so hot.

Just recently anyway. FA day hasn't been that much of a downer? :dunno:

kaptaink

Apr 26, 2017
wondering if poile has his phone on??? I am reading/seeing a lot of action, but in Nashville its just crickets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad