Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
My predictions:

The Rangers do nothing today
Pietrangelo goes to Vegas

Rangers should target a LD who can play third pairing minutes who's also fine with sitting for stretches, and a bottom 6 forward (or two).

LD targets: Merrill, Hutton, Mueller, Koekkoek
Forward targets: Larsson, Rodrigues, Hinostroza

Reactions: Minmonster

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Just a PSA for everyone speculating:

Without a 2nd round pick in 2021 (Staal trade) the NYR can only sign offersheets w the following AAVs:
<$1.43M (no compensation)
$1.43-2.18M (3rd rd pick)
$4.36-6.54M (1st and 3rd rd pick)
$10.91M+ (four 1st rd picks)

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Just a PSA for everyone speculating:

Without a 2nd round pick in 2021 (Staal trade) the NYR can only sign offersheets w the following AAVs:
<$1.43M (no compensation)
$1.43-2.18M (3rd rd pick)
$4.36-6.54M (1st and 3rd rd pick)
$10.91M+ (four 1st rd picks)
Just go and get Cirelli!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Shame we finally get a year where the insiders aren't spoiling all of the signings and it's a shitty free agent class

Oddly enough the depth available right now is pretty over the top. There may not be high end talent available outside of Pietrangelo and Hall but there are A LOT more players available.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What's the penalty for not 'exposing' enough players?

I don't think there's any set penalty. Likely it would involve loss of draft picks.

We are fine on forwards. We will definitely have someone we can expose without needing to add anyone. On defense, we need Hajek to play 40 games (assuming they don't change the numbers due to a shortened season), or we will need to add someone. And we also need to add a goalie.

Reactions: duhmetreE

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
i prefer Clifford over Martin, more playoff experience and I like Martin as a player and seems like a good dude. Clifford is a better player in my opinion

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think Gorton may be hesitant to give the offer sheet knowing that soon he will be in the same boat with Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, etc. Everybody screaming to offer sheet Barzal and Cirelli should be ready for the other clubs to return the favor in 3 years.
totally agree. I hate offer sheets.

Reactions: bleedblue94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Gorton may be hesitant to give the offer sheet knowing that soon he will be in the same boat with Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, etc. Everybody screaming to offer sheet Barzal and Cirelli should be ready for the other clubs to return the favor in 3 years.
Gorton is not giving an offer sheet to anyone

Reactions: bleedblue94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner would be a good pickup. He's an intimidating penalty killing forward.

The Rangers I expect will be looking for an LD.

I don't think guys like Wennberg, Hinostroza or Wallmark make us a harder team to play against. I would not sign any of them. I'd rather see what our own guys like Barron can do than fill out our roster with veteran plugs.

To me I'd keep it simple--an LD and one forward---either Grabner or someone like Clifford. We're going to need more muscle. Nieto might be another guy I'd be interested in.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
For me I say we sign Stan.

Stan Pat.

Let the day go by. Let the dust settle. Then later on if a bargain deal on a player who is on the organization radar; a deal that they can’t pass up that’s the player(s) we sign.

Sometimes the best deal is no deal at all. Though this should be an exciting day for all us hockey fans.

Good Fortune everyone.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
And just to add even though this link was posted earlier:

What Rangers’ strategy will be as free agency opens

The Rangers are believed to have some interest in a reunion with Brian Boyle, who will turn 36 in December, but they may not be able to meet his contract needs. And no one would expect Boyle to commit on Day 1 unless blown out of the water by an offer. That type of deal won’t be available in New York.

Derek Grant, Nick Cousins, Craig Smith, Vinnie Hinostroza and Cody Eakin could well get a call. Again, though, the Rangers are not in prime position to outbid teams.
There is a need on the back end for a veteran to keep the spot warm for a year or two until the prospects are ready to play. Trevor van Riemsdyk, Troy Stecher, Ron Hainsey, Jon Merrill, Troy Stecher, Slater Koekkoek, Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn are among the candidates.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

On top of that, we don't have the cap space to add a significant cap hit unless we are moving one of ADA or Strome without taking cap back. We also don't have a 2nd round pick in 2021 (traded along with Staal to Detroit), so that limits what sort of contract we can give out. I don't see Gorton trying to sign anyone to an offer sheet.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Grabner would be a good pickup. He's an intimidating penalty killing forward.

The Rangers I expect will be looking for an LD.

I don't think guys like Wennberg, Hinostroza or Wallmark make us a harder team to play against. I would not sign any of them. I'd rather see what our own guys like Barron can do than fill out our roster with veteran plugs.

To me I'd keep it simple--an LD and one forward---either Grabner or someone like Clifford. We're going to need more muscle. Nieto might be another guy I'd be interested in.

Nieto would be a good one. Clifford to me is the guy I'd go after pretty hard depending on his contracr demands.

Also, Hinostrozza is a bit of a PIA from when I saw him play.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad