GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
With PA Parenteau gone, we should have close to $8 mil in cap space. Who do you like the Habs to add to our lineup?

C Andrew Desjardins
D Johnny Oduya
F Antoine Vermette
F Justin Williams
F Michael Frolik

I wouldn't mind adding Oduya. Now this is a deep D group. We could move Markov at the deadline for a 1st round pick. I know some sucker GM will bite.

Oduya-Subban
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Emelin-Tinordi
Pateryn

Dejardins is a Therrien type of player. Our bottom 6 would look like this...all these guys with exception to DSP can play penalty kill.

De La Rose-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Dejardins
Weise-Flynn

F Antoine Vermette
F Justin Williams
F Michael Frolik

These guys can give our offense a push. Frolik is really underrated. He's fast, plays LW/RW. This will be good if we move Galchenyuk to center. Williams gives the team that experience leader. Vermette can play all positions.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Frolik-Plekanec-Williams/Vermette
Desharnais.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Galchenyuk will cost about $3M, so you really only have $5M of cap space. Take away the $1.33M for the buyout, and Flynn, Bournival, Tinordi contracts (I wouldn't expect any of these to be over $1M) and we don't have much room to land a high quality UFA (not like there are any this summer anyways).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Beauchemin & frolik would be ideal additions... But cap crunch makes that impossible unless we can move desharnais, Gilbert & emelin

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I don't think there will be much of a frenzy for the Habs because of the cap, and I don't think there will be much of a frenzy league wide because of the quality of the players that are out there.

I think many signings of Wednesday are gonna be buy outs a year or two down the line.

Also, many teams are close to the cap and can't spend. Many teams are close to the floor and won't spend. I think we'll be surprised by some names that will end up be SOL when the season starts. Some guys will enter free agency with big hopes and exit it with a fraction of those hopes in actual dollars, if anything at all.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
This is one of the worst UFA class in a while. And we already signed the best of them (Petry). Not sure we'll be very active.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Anyone know how long TSN will be airing their "free agent frenzy" show this year? With this class of UFA's their ratings won't be good.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
This is one of the worst UFA class in a while. And we already signed the best of them (Petry). Not sure we'll be very active.

That's true. By default, we pretty much won free agency this year.

The outside possibility of this becoming exciting has to do with offer sheets. Boston feared them enough to trade Hamilton, Neely said so. Could someone be temped to offersheet Galchenyuk? Any other young, promising RFAs?

I almost hope offer sheets get thrown around for the guys on TV that will have to fill dead air for hours otherwise waiting for a total nobody to sign a 2-way deal so they can finally call someone to ask him how he's feeling about his 600k for 2 years.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I have to believe in recent years they never were, I hope they cut back on spending some years they had like 2 different panels to cover dead air.

The worst part of those shows is when they throw on those goofs "The reporters", man are they ever boring. That singing guy with the drums is the only redeeming thing nowadays from these "Frenzies".

TSN doesn't own the rights to air it if I remember correctly.

They can air it, just like they did with the trade deadline.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Nah there's no rights, this whole deal was created by the media for the media. I'll bet they made money with it with sponsorship and ad sales, not so sure it's still the case now.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
The worst part of those shows is when they throw on those goofs "The reporters", man are they ever boring. That singing guy with the drums is the only redeeming thing nowadays from these "Frenzies".

They can air, just like they did with the trade deadline.

Yes that is correct, I was mistaken.

"Rogers has exclusive broadcast rights to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Game, NHL Draft Lottery, NHL Draft and NHL Awards."

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
This "Frenzy" is so damn weak...

Last time the UFA market was that weak is during the Gomez/Drury year... And we all know how it turned out.

Frolik is going to be a very happy man, he's like the top guy this summer.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Yes that is correct, I was mistaken.

"Rogers has exclusive broadcast rights to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Stanley Cup Final, NHL All-Star Game, NHL Draft Lottery, NHL Draft and NHL Awards."

No problem, imagine if our only option was to hear friggin' Cox and Kypreos for 7 hours talk about where Sean Bergenheim or Tomas Fleischman will be landing. Thank goodness for TSN.

The only person who might be interesting on a short term deal would be St Louis. If he'd be willing to do a year or two... he might be worth it.

Then again he could be crap. :laugh:

I'd like Frolik but I think he'll be too pricey, not sure if it would be worth it.

Pretty amazing last summer you could get a guy like Vrbata for 5 million now we're getting third liners and washed up veterans asking for that price. Scary stuff.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'd like to see St. Louis signed. But no way to 2 years. The main problem I had with the Briere signing was that there were better options available to use the money on. This year that isn't the case. But next year it very well may be.

And I don't care how many small players we have. Size wasn't the reason we lost to the Rangers last year and Tampa this year. Let's become a faster and more skilled hockey team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I always liked Eric Fehr. Now...only thing for me to know is do I like Fehr for what he was before....or for what he could bring now and in the mid-future....I'Ll answer that and come back to you...

Other interesting names are indeed Frolik. Joel Ward. And Shawn Matthias.....for what I always thought he could be. Can't believe this guy never was...But 18 goals last year....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No problem, imagine if our only option was to hear friggin' Cox and Kypreos for 7 hours talk about where Sean Bergenheim or Tomas Fleischman will be landing. Thank goodness for TSN.

I'd like Frolik but I think he'll be too pricey, not sure if it would be worth it.

Pretty amazing last summer you could get a guy like Vrbata for 5 million now we're getting third liners and washed up veterans asking for that price. Scary stuff.
Vrbata would've really helped us...

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I always liked Eric Fehr. Now...only thing for me to know is do I like Fehr for what he was before....or for what he could bring now and in the mid-future....I'Ll answer that and come back to you...

Other interesting names are indeed Frolik. Joel Ward. And Shawn Matthias.....for what I always thought he could be. Can't believe this guy never was...But 18 goals last year....

Matthias is progressing so there's that, but he'll top out at what, 35 points?. I'm thinking we have that kind of production covered...

Frolik could get to 50 points if put in a good position. And playing with Galchenyuk could be that position. But you are betting on potential by giving him his contract, I think it's a risky bet, but I'm sure somebody will put their chips down on him. Maybe Buffalo for the third line to push Gionta down to the fourth.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I was submitting a piece today on my top 10 free agent forwards and saw some interesting names. I think Frolik could be decent in a top six role. Not sure how much scoring he would add, or who he would play with, but I think he could fit in and slot on the second line. It all depends on how much he commands. Joel Ward likely wants a three-year deal. Not sure what kind of money he'd want but at 34, I'd feel inclined to pass on that notion. Santorelli could be an inexpensive fix on the Habs top-nine. He's decent.

As for experience on the blue-line. Oduya, Beauchemin or Jackman. Other than that, there isn't much that inspires me.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I was submitting a piece today on my top 10 free agent forwards and saw some interesting names. I think Frolik could be decent in a top six role. Not sure how much scoring he would add, or who he would play with, but I think he could fit in and slot on the second line. It all depends on how much he commands. Joel Ward likely wants a three-year deal. Not sure what kind of money he'd want but at 34, I'd feel inclined to pass on that notion. Santorelli could be an inexpensive fix on the Habs top-nine. He's decent.

As for experience on the blue-line. Oduya, Beauchemin or Jackman. Other than that, there isn't much that inspires me.

I agree about Frolik, but for the money he asks, it's a gamble.

If I were PITTSBURGH, I would be all over him. Because if there's two centers that could make him pop 50+ points and make him reach his draft day potential, it's Crosby and Malkin.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Vrbata would've really helped us...

I wanted him here so badly, I'm pretty sure Bergevin tried but Vancouver probably offered him a spot next to the Sedin's, tough to beat that.

Matthias and Fehr interest me for a third line role, if we could trade Prust and replace him with one of those two guys it would be a nice improvement. DLR-Eller-Fehr or Matthias-Eller-Weise would be pretty sweet.

Does anyone know of a site like CapGeek?

I use http://www.generalfanager.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad