GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors,Signings, Trades: July 1st 12pm EST TV- TSN

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
And as long as our 3rd pair is trusted more than Stillman/Bryson/whoever and Boosh were last season.......their time will naturally come down a tic.

Also.....not being injured to hell and back for 20 games would help too.
Absolutely but to that end, fewer minutes lowers the general wear and tear. Won’t meaningfully forestall incidents of injury ofc

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't expect everything to go perfectly, but yes I do expect things to get better because that's the far more likely outcome for each of our players based on their individual development cuves.

How many "top 4" defenders are there in the league? Is it 32x4= 128? If so I feel comfortable that Dahlin is top 10, Power and Sammy are each around top 75 currently, and yes Clifton is top 130. If we're judging it based on who has played "top 4 minutes," then Joki qualified most of last year and Clifton didn't because he was stuck behind better players. It's all fairly nebulous.

Clifton could blossom with more opportunity or our lack of structure could bring out the worst in him. We'll see.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Like I said, I like Clifton and might be a good partner for Power. But it's still a risk. Then we need a good goalie in tandem with Levi, maybe some other forward. Moreover, Adams wanted to add some forward to the UFA.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Anyone still interested in Hanifin?

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Clifford
Hanifin-Johnson

He probably wouldn't be worth the price it would take to trade for him given how the defense looks today, but that's a nice-looking defense. Obviously, he's pinned on the third pairing, but we'd be going the TB route of having a damn good defenseman on each pair. He can play up, too, in certain situations.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Clifford
Hanifin-Johnson

He probably wouldn't be worth the price it would take to trade for him given how the defense looks today, but that's a nice-looking defense. Obviously, he's pinned on the third pairing, but we'd be going the TB route of having a damn good defenseman on each pair. He can play up, too, in certain situations.

It'd be a good (though pricey) hedge if Clifton can't be Power's partner. That said, I doubt Adams is looking at him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Clifford
Hanifin-Johnson

VO + 3rd maybe will do it? :laugh:

If seriously, I think Hanifin would be too expensive for the role.

My options:

Dillon
Martinez
Zadorov
Forbort

Dermott (UFA)
Benoit (UFA)
Jones (UFA)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
VO + 3rd maybe will do it? :laugh:

If seriously, I think Hanifin would be too expensive for the role.

My options:

Dillon
Martinez
Zadorov
Forbort

Dermott (UFA)
Benoit (UFA)
Jones (UFA)
Give me Zadorov!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like Zads but between Joker, Boosh, Stillman, and E. Johnson, we're covered for 3rd pairing. Stillman, Clifton, and Boosh have enough snarl as well.
I think it's a question of which of them can effectively play LD? Only Stillman LD and he's probably #7-#8 on a good team.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not sure if he has that list, feeling like they're confusing him with Slavin, look at CapFriendly. Adams added two RDs of the third pair. I like Clifton, but he's not a legit top 4 yet. EJ can't play well in the top 4 anymore. When Adams signed Boosh, we also thought he might play in the top 4 with Power, but that didn't happen. Pesce is a very solid and proven top 4 D, you can even say he can easily play the minutes of the first pair when Dahlin, Power or Samuelsson get injured.

So far I'm not very happy with Adams' moves this offseason, hopefully there will be more to come. And yet I like Clifton.
Johnson & Clifton give the team more NHL experience and more NHL depth this season. I think we'll see one of them on the second pair with Power. Whoever pairs with Power is not going to have to carry the pairing -- simply provide solid, veteran play while Power carries the load. At this point, I would be very surprised if they add a top 4 D. I do see them moving at least one NHL depth D.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT and Ehran

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Johnson & Clifton give the team more NHL experience and more NHL depth this season. I think we'll see one of them on the second pair with Power. Whoever pairs with Power is not going to have to carry the pairing -- simply provide solid, veteran play while Power carries the load. At this point, I would be very surprised if they add a top 4 D. I do see them moving at least one NHL depth D.
Probably yes, but Friedman said Buffalo is still on Pesce. If such a defender is available, you are at least trying to get him despite the addition of Clifton and EJ.

Reactions: joshjull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Granted, this is Larry Brooks we're talking about........so I'm sure some of this info needs to be taken with a grain of salt...........but interesting nonetheless.

It's likely that Tarasenko isn't coming to Buffalo.

There is also a likelihood that he and his agents (old and new) are pain in the asses to work with. I can understand when a GM says "he's a good player and will fill a need but no thank you. I don't need the added bs.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Seattle with a a trio of defensemen filing for arbitration - Dunn, Fleury and Borgen.

Fleury is an ahl/nhl tweeter so that’s a small contract - the only one that could cause them trouble is Dunn - don’t see any way that they’re trading Borgen nor that we’d currently be interested with our signings

Probably yes, but Friedman said Buffalo is still on Pesce. If such a defender is available, you are at least trying to get him despite the addition of Clifton and EJ.
If we add those 3 and subtract any other 2 D besides our big 3 that’s chef’s kiss. Also, the longer this goes personally I feel the lower the prices to acquire the player.

Reactions: Grinder44

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Fleury is an ahl/nhl tweeter so that’s a small contract - the only one that could cause them trouble is Dunn - don’t see any way that they’re trading Borgen nor that we’d currently be interested with our signings

If we add those 3 and subtract any other 2 D besides our big 3 that’s chef’s kiss. Also, the longer this goes personally I feel the lower the prices to acquire the player.
Maybe you can explain to me why Fleury filed for arbitration. Seems super weird to me. He should be happy just to get a QO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad