GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors,Signings, Trades: July 1st 12pm EST TV- TSN

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
It’s me saying Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Hasek, Mogilny (didn’t officially ask but was heavily implied) all demanded trades away from this franchise.

Sabres fans understand guys want to leave their situations sometimes.
A bit of a tangent, and I could absolutely be remembering it wrong, but I don't think that Reinhart demanded a trade, just said that he wouldn't be re-signing after his team control expired.

In practice that usually has the same effect, but I it always strikes me differently than when a guy under contract (especially a big deal they signed with lots of term left like Eichel or Gibson) tries to force their way out.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I dunno. There are a LOT of talking heads who are saying the Pesce has a M-NTC. Pagnotta, Friedman, Seravelli I think......

It's certainly possible that CapFriendly has this one wrong.
Or one of them said it and the others picked it up. Maybe CapFriendly is wrong, although I have always been guided by their site for many issues and have not seen errors before.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Cap Friendly were wrong, by now they would have (should have) corrected it with all the twitters out there.
Capture.PNG

So, it looks like they did, it just does not show on the Canes contract table view right now.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fjordy

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It’s me saying Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Hasek, Mogilny (didn’t officially ask but was heavily implied) all demanded trades away from this franchise.

Sabres fans understand guys want to leave their situations sometimes.
Mogilny was moved to the opposite end of the continent because he was being extorted by Russian "mafia" here locally. Source : my LE father who actually interviewed the Russians who were doing it. Now ill wait for someone to try and say it isn't true because after being a member here almost 15 years this is what I would make up :laugh:

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I like Clifton, but he's not a legit top 4 yet. EJ can't play well in the top 4 anymore. When Adams signed Boosh, we also thought he might play in the top 4 with Power, but that didn't happen. Pesce is a very solid and proven top 4 D, you can even say he can easily play the minutes of the first pair when Dahlin, Power or Samuelsson get injured.
I hear you, but I think terms like "top 4" etc are becoming a little too rigid and over-referred to. How many teams have at least four "top 4" or better D? 10-12? I don't have the time to research it now, but I'm curious.

If Clifton performs at 80% of an average "#4" D as Power's partner, we'll be better off than last year and win plenty of games.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I hear you, but I think terms like "top 4" etc are becoming a little too rigid and over-referred to. How many teams have at least four "top 4" or better D? 10-12? I don't have the time to research it now, but I'm curious.

If Clifton performs at 80% of an average "#4" D as Power's partner, we'll be better off than last year and win plenty of games.
What if it doesn't show? You expect everything to go perfectly and things get better or not get worse, but it can also be the other way around. Again, I already said that I like Clifton, but he has not yet been the player who consistently played top 4 D minutes for at least several seasons. Throw in our dubious and untested goalies. Because our best goalie last season retired. We hope Levi takes over, but we don't know how soon. As a result, there are too many ifs in each position.

So far, I'm not very happy with what Adams has done. More precisely, I like that he improved the depth defense, but I think this is only half the battle and this is not enough.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kind of funny watching some Cane posters talk about Tarensenko defensive game ..how it's not a worry because Canes are already so good defensively.. they just need a pure goal scorer.

Yes Vlad is better than VO but it's basically the same game 🤣

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
What if it doesn't show? You expect everything to go perfectly and things get better or not get worse, but it can also be the other way around. Again, I already said that I like Clifton, but he has not yet been the player who consistently played top 4 D minutes for at least several seasons. Throw in our dubious and untested goalies. Because our best goalie last season retired. We hope Levi takes over, but we don't know how soon. As a result, there are too many ifs in each position.

So far, I'm not very happy with what Adams has done. More precisely, I like that he improved the depth defense, but I think this is only half the battle and this is not enough.
I don't expect everything to go perfectly, but yes I do expect things to get better because that's the far more likely outcome for each of our players based on their individual development cuves.

How many "top 4" defenders are there in the league? Is it 32x4= 128? If so I feel comfortable that Dahlin is top 10, Power and Sammy are each around top 75 currently, and yes Clifton is top 130. If we're judging it based on who has played "top 4 minutes," then Joki qualified most of last year and Clifton didn't because he was stuck behind better players. It's all fairly nebulous.

Clifton could blossom with more opportunity or our lack of structure could bring out the worst in him. We'll see.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I wonder if they could convince Pesce to waive to come here. They missed by a single game, have good pieces throughout the lineup, decently close to home, etc.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Would you rather it be said “someone who has proven they can handle and perform well for 20+ minutes every night”?

Because that’s what they need. And what they didn’t get.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't expect everything to go perfectly, but yes I do expect things to get better because that's the far more likely outcome for each of our players based on their individual development cuves.

How many "top 4" defenders are there in the league? Is it 32x4= 128? If so I feel comfortable that Dahlin is top 10, Power and Sammy are each around top 75 currently, and yes Clifton is top 130. If we're judging it based on who has played "top 4 minutes," then Joki qualified most of last year and Clifton didn't because he was stuck behind better players. It's all fairly nebulous.

Clifton could blossom with more opportunity or our lack of structure could bring out the worst in him. We'll see.

Furtherthing this idea just a touch.......what are "top 4" minutes???

Well, generally speaking I'd think that a "top 4" defenseman plays 20+ min per game. So I went to NHL.com/stats. There were exactly 91 defensemen who played 20+ games and averaged 20+ min. Orrrrrrrrrrrr pretty much exactly 3 defensemen per team.

So, how much time did defenseman #128 play? 18:50.

So, going STRICTLY by time on ice? A "top 4" defenseman plays 18:50 a game or more.

Connor Clifton played 17:51 per game. Do I think he can handle 59 seconds more per game? Why yes, yes I do.

BUT WAIT -- THAT'S NOT APPLES TO APPLES. HENRI JOKIHARU PLAYED 21:01.....THAT'S HOW MANY MINUTES CLIFTON NEEDS TO PLAY FOR US!!!!!

Well, see.....now......if Jokiharju and EJ can form a solid 3rd pairing (big if, Joker would be off-side).....they can play the 16-17 min a night that our 3rd pair was incapable of playing last year. Therefore, Clifton wouldn't need to play more than 19 min a night.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Furtherthing this idea just a touch.......what are "top 4" minutes???

Well, generally speaking I'd think that a "top 4" defenseman plays 20+ min per game. So I went to NHL.com/stats. There were exactly 91 defensemen who played 20+ games and averaged 20+ min. Orrrrrrrrrrrr pretty much exactly 3 defensemen per team.

So, how much time did defenseman #128 play? 18:50.

So, going STRICTLY by time on ice? A "top 4" defenseman plays 18:50 a game or more.

Connor Clifton played 17:51 per game. Do I think he can handle 59 seconds more per game? Why yes, yes I do.

BUT WAIT -- THAT'S NOT APPLES TO APPLES. HENRI JOKIHARU PLAYED 21:01.....THAT'S HOW MANY MINUTES CLIFTON NEEDS TO PLAY FOR US!!!!!

Well, see.....now......if Jokiharju and EJ can form a solid 3rd pairing (big if, Joker would be off-side).....they can play the 16-17 min a night that our 3rd pair was incapable of playing last year. Therefore, Clifton wouldn't need to play more than 19 min a night.
Don’t disagree with the general principle but I’d like to see them take a little time away from Dahlin and Power just for fatigue’s sake

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Don’t disagree with the general principle but I’d like to see them take a little time away from Dahlin and Power just for fatigue’s sake

And as long as our 3rd pair is trusted more than Stillman/Bryson/whoever and Boosh were last season.......their time will naturally come down a tic.

Also.....not being injured to hell and back for 20 games would help too.

Reactions: enthusiast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad