Speculation: Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Sure Landeskog could play himself into that contract, he could also end up stagnating and being a Tyler Myers type of situation ... It's a gamble to give a kid that much money/term with only a season and 1/4 under his belt

The team obviosuly must have seen something in his personality to make him captain which needs to be factored in. I've also heard praise from his teammates before.

Also needing to get factored in is that Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall and lived up to the billing. Meanwhile Myers was a project Dman who just had a few good seasons.

There is a difference between betting on a thoroughbreed whose done it his whole life in Landeskog vs. a guy like Myers who you needed to question whether he just peaked for a season or two.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
The team obviosuly must have seen something in his personality to make him captain which needs to be factored in. I've also heard praise from his teammates before.

Also needing to get factored in is that Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall and lived up to the billing. Meanwhile Myers was a project Dman who just had a few good seasons.

There is a difference between betting on a thoroughbreed whose done it his whole life in Landeskog vs. a guy like Myers who you needed to question whether he just peaked for a season or two.

I personally see a lot of Mike Richards in his game, but Landeskog has the potential to be more physically imposing based on his size and frame. If you look at their junior numbers, they were quite similar in terms of production.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I think the best thing is a long term deal for Lando. He is team captain and seems to be an absolute lock for 40+ pts a year while contributing in all areas on the first or second line. He will grow as a player and be an all around force constantly hovering around the 60-65 pt mark and his 5.5 mil a year will look like a huge steal. Good deal for the Av's imo.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Calder is a trophy for rookies, so I don't know what you're getting at when you say he is "already a Calder winner". Andrew Raycroft was a Calder winner too.

And......Has the most wins in a season ever! In the history of the greatest franchise ever!!!!! Rookie All- Star team!!!! His nick name was the Razor!!!!!! Because of how sharp he was!!!!!....Andrew mother****in Raycoft!!!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Report: Komarov plans on returning to NHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-komarov-plans-on-returning-to-nhl/

Leo Komarov reportedly plans on returning to the NHL.

Translated from sovsport.ru, Komarov said “I have not finished the NHL. I want to go back there. After this season, I’m a free agent.”

“There were serious differences on the contract,” Komarov said about his negotiations with the Maple Leafs. “The club has not fulfilled the conditions that I had requested.”

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk

This season is not a good year to overspend on a role player. It's great that Leo is spending a season in the K. Next year when the cap goes up he will be able to negotiate a more favourable contract should he decide to return.

I see it as a good outcome. We didn't have the money. Also, Leo can watch and see if the Leafs squad looks like a playoff team or a fringe team. Maybe he gets traded but he has expressed a preference to be in a big city and also a hockey city. Why would leave Moscow for Columbus?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This season is not a good year to overspend on a role player. It's great that Leo is spending a season in the K. Next year when the cap goes up he will be able to negotiate a more favourable contract should he decide to return.

I see it as a good outcome. We didn't have the money. Also, Leo can watch and see if the Leafs squad looks like a playoff team or a fringe team. Maybe he gets traded but he has expressed a preference to be in a big city and also a hockey city. Why would leave Moscow for Columbus?

The problem with making a decision on Leo Komarov, we would have to know, what was offered and what he expected, it maybe was about money but the way he has stated his reason, for not coming back to the Leafs, it may have been a two way contract, that would have him playing with the Marlies this year, if he couldn't be fitted under the cap, we just don't know.

When he does come back to the NHL as an F/A, I think he will be in great demand, he plays a hard hitting role, on the 3rd or 4th line and in the style for a Carlyle type team.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
The problem with making a decision on Leo Komarov, we would have to know, what was offered and what he expected, it maybe was about money but the way he has stated his reason, for not coming back to the Leafs, it may have been a two way contract, that would have him playing with the Marlies this year, if he couldn't be fitted under the cap, we just don't know.

When he does come back to the NHL as an F/A, I think he will be in great demand, he plays a hard hitting role, on the 3rd or 4th line and in the style for a Carlyle type team.

Being in the KHL will not remove years from his restricted free agency. When he comes back, he signs with the Leafs or gets traded.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Wow, there are still a lot of really good free agents available out there!

Would LOVE to lock up Danny Cleary if we could. Would be a solid, veteran addition to our third line!

Proposal:

Trade:
Trade JM liles to any team as a salary dump. Add a 2nd and a prospect if we have to.

Sign:
Nazem Kadri - 2 years 6.2 million
Cody Franson - 2 years 6.8 million

Danny Cleary - 1 year 1.5 million
Adrian Aucoin - 1 year 1.25 million

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.100m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Danny Cleary ($1.500m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Joe Colborne ($0.600m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) / Cody Franson ($3.400m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Adrian Aucoin ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,529,167; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $70,833

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we can move Liles and still have tomm after signing Kadri and Franson, I would hope we would look at Cleary or Larose

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

Would LOVE to lock up Danny Cleary if we could. Would be a solid, veteran addition to our third line!

Proposal:

Trade:
Trade JM liles to any team as a salary dump. Add a 2nd and a prospect if we have to.

Sign:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
------

So we essentially trade a 2nd, prospect and JM Liles for the ability to sign a washed up third liner in Dan Cleary. Simply, no.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Pretty ironic that we picked up Franson because the Preds couldn't afford him and now we are in a similar boat.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
As soon as I posted that I knew this was coming- but still. Similar kind of scenario with different details

IMO, they are completely different scenarios.

One is a negotiation with a free agent, the other was involving players under contract.

With the Leafs its a matter of finding a number that both sides can live with. With the Predators it was matter of not being able to pay a player who they thought wouldn't be able to play. They had to include something of value to entice a team to take on Lombardi's contract.

The Predators could have easily afforded to keep Franson at the 800k he was signed to for the upcoming season.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
So we essentially trade a 2nd, prospect and JM Liles for the ability to sign a washed up third liner in Dan Cleary. Simply, no.

No, its to essentially fit room for Kadri and Franson, that we'd otherwise not have.

At the same time, you can add two veteran additions to the team.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Proposal:

Trade:

Sign:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
------

Do you not think that this would have happened already if it was an option?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do you not think that this would have happened already if it was an option?

Nonis seems set on trying to get Franson and Kadri under contract without losing anyone.

For all we know he could have a couple offers for Likes, but that's a worse case type thing.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
We have a pretty dirty top 6 except for Bozak and when Lupul gets hurt

Even if Lupul gets hurt, we have the depth to at least move a suitable replacement up, even if that person doesnt score as much as Lupul...

JVR-Bozak-Kessel,
Kulemin-Kadri-Clarkson

Still does not look that horrendous, even though it certainly not optimal. We would have killed for this a couple seasons ago, and now its our back up plan.

And if Bozak is playing poorly, then I think at some point we have the option to move Colborne up for a stint as well. Options :)...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Pretty ironic that we picked up Franson because the Preds couldn't afford him and now we are in a similar boat.

There is a difference between being able to afford someone and what they are willing to pay.

The Leafs can "afford" to pay Franson whatever but the they don't think he's worth what he's asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad